flakko

Interesting about ports...

The closed boxes have roll off 12db/oct, ported box have roll-off 24 dB/oct - output from port shifts 180 deg. below tuning freq. - that' why closed box plays lower than Ported box.  Driver in ported box have same thermal limit, but X-max at tuning freq is much smaller then in closed box - that's why it takes more power and it is louder at tuning freq and higher. Due phase shift driver below tuning freq becomes unloaded - you have to use subsonic filter to avoid mechanical demage on driver.

throw any driver an a -3dB shelf enclosure and tell me which has lower extension???

just to give you an idea, at 20Hz with just a quick throw togather in WinISD with a rendomly picked driver.

-3dB Extended bass shelf will provide a -3dB@31 and 21Hz and will provide better extension than both a 0.707Qtc and 0.507 Qtc sealed enclsoure. asa matter of fact at 20Hz the 0.707 is at -16dB and the 0.507 is at -12dB and the responce doesnt come back down untill 11Hz where both are at -21dB and neither will be repoducing enough infrabass to be senced at all anyway.

also, ported boxes dont take more power at tuning...they are most effient there so it doesnt take as much to get just as loud...how far the driver is moving around tuning has nothing to do with how loudit is. now to reach full Xmax at tuning most drivers will need far more power than thermal limits will allow. however to get a driver to reach full xmax at tuning will result in one hell of a boom boom boom ;).

haha I remember the day I rushed out and bought

Bbbbbbbbb BASS 305 bbbbb BASS

Simply, 808 refers to a music production drum and bass kit. It was made popular by Rap music. The typical trademark of the sound is the "boom" effect.

It is basically the biggest reason OEM car audio is as large as it is today (or as interesting). 808 bass, is better reproduced on subwoofers, hence the need to upgrade factory systems. Plus it just turns heads from kilometers away. If it wasn't for 808 bass, this forum wouldn't have a subwoofer section and people wouldn't generally spend more than $100 on a speaker over 12" for their system.

Nobody could argue the fact that 808 made OEM car audio what it is today, unless they use non-factual personal feelings to describe. 808 to OEM car audio, is what Dolby Prologic was to OEM home audio. Dolby surround made a separate subwoofer for the home, popular. Now, just like with car audio, it doesn't make sense not to have a separate sub for the home, as we realize now, that the front speakers were never the ideal solution, for the true bottom-end.

Since 808 is from so long-ago and it's more a studio term between producers and engineers, it was never really a pop culture term.

I'm back.....Random posts.....

I find that funny, because it makes it seem like I was the top poster a long time ago. Or like I was one of the first people to join. I feel I'm just as random as always.

A positive thing about that though is, I spend alot of my time listening to low-tones on my Tumult's at home, via music and video games.

Simply, 808 refers to a music production drum and bass kit. It was made popular by Rap music. The typical trademark of the sound is the "boom" effect.

It is basically the biggest reason OEM car audio is as large as it is today (or as interesting). 808 bass, is better reproduced on subwoofers, hence the need to upgrade factory systems. Plus it just turns heads from kilometers away. If it wasn't for 808 bass, this forum wouldn't have a subwoofer section and people wouldn't generally spend more than $100 on a speaker over 12" for their system.

Nobody could argue the fact that 808 made OEM car audio what it is today, unless they use non-factual personal feelings to describe. 808 to OEM car audio, is what Dolby Prologic was to OEM home audio. Dolby surround made a separate subwoofer for the home, popular. Now, just like with car audio, it doesn't make sense not to have a separate sub for the home, as we realize now, that the front speakers were never the ideal solution, for the true bottom-end.

Since 808 is from so long-ago and it's more a studio term between producers and engineers, it was never really a pop culture term.

I realize what you're saying and can agree to an extent. Big bass is largely responsible for the boom in the industry. Pun intended.

I think many purists will diagree though. It's been a common fact since the beginning of acoustics that different types and sizes of drivers have been needed to accurately produce the frequency spectrum. I can also contradict this..

Much time, research and labor has been spent on making a wonder speaker or all in one concept. May are great ideas and work well to an extent, many have actually done it. But economically, right now, it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It opens up another chapter, perhaps an entire book.