CadillacMatt

Mechman Alts

Anybody have experience with them, if so, how long do they take to ship after payment? I realize they are made to order which will affect the length of time... I paid on Thursday, the payment cleared immediately, but it still says "processing..."

I ordered a new 250amp High Output unit for my car (The stock one took a dump, causing multiple sensors to burn out in the process).

It's this one here.

Thanks guys

I bought one last summer and it shipped in a timely manner. Just give Matt a call and ask him whe you should expect it. :drink40:

I bought one last summer and it shipped in a timely manner. Just give Matt a call and ask him whe you should expect it. :drink40:

Cool, are you satisfied with it? What was the output of your stock alt? Before mine finally failed it was running like a champ, 140amp alt, but it was 15 years old and I imagine that I put quite a bit of stress on it so it was only a matter of time before it failed. I just didn't expect it to take out a few electrical circuits when it did (turns out they are really sensitive to voltage :()

Cool, are you satisfied with it? What was the output of your stock alt? Before mine finally failed it was running like a champ, 140amp alt, but it was 15 years old and I imagine that I put quite a bit of stress on it so it was only a matter of time before it failed. I just didn't expect it to take out a few electrical circuits when it did (turns out they are really sensitive to voltage :()

Im very satisfied with it. :) I believe my stock alt was about 80-85 amps and I had epic headlight dimming BEFORE I installed the BTL. After installation of big 3 in 1/0 and the Mechman alt, I get hardly any dimming at all and my voltage stays in the mid to high 13s at almost full tilt. This is with one battery too. I still have my old one just in case because there wasnt anything wrong with it.

I was looking at Iraggi but at that time he had disappeared and I wasnt too sure what was happening. Now that he is back and trying to make up for poor customer service during his sabbatical, I think I might give the 180 amp a try for my geo. I wanted his from the start because they all have higher output at idle versus Mechman. For my vehicles anyway.

OK so I got the unit today and it bolted right in... however, the serpentine belt slips off by one notch when I crank the engine. About 1/4" of the belt is riding over the edge of the pulley. I shot them an email to see what can be done about it... other than that, I was very satisfied with the ease of installation (had to extend a few factory leads in addition to the Big 3 already in place... never can be too careful)

But following my curse on car repair, now my head unit is inoperable. Probably happened when the stock alt began to fail and took a number of sensors out with it. Oh well.

IMG00177-20100309-1734.jpg

Tensioner is fairly new, when I seat the belt into the grooves on the alt it jumps out when the engine is started. Still turns the alt, but I know this is not a kosher way to drive around at all.

Edited by CadillacMatt

While attempting to diagnose the alignment issue myself, the serpentine belt delaminated so I had to buy a new one (Gates Green Stripe - $45!!!! I couldn't believe it). Been in touch with Matt over at MechMan, he's been really great keeping in contact with me every day. Seems like I'm going to have to shim the pulley so the alignment is on track. He says he can send me a shim no problem but that the alt shouldn't have had the alignment issue. Double checked all my mounts and everything is dandy so hoping to hear back from him today.

Just kinda bummed that the only thing keeping me from driving the car is a quarter of an inch :glare:

I was somewhat productive today though, at least I changed the oil :shrug:

Edited by CadillacMatt

Good to see the great customer service and that you got the problem solved. Even though your without the truck for awhile.

After about 5 days of hearing nothing, finally got a response back from them... spacers should be on the way so I should be able to write a review by next week.

WooHoo!

After installing the spacers, the alt works great. With lights, A/C on, and system at full 2600W the voltage stays at a constant 14V (not that I drive around like that though). The lowest it dropped was down to 13.1V but that was at idle with all accessories on and an almost constant bass line. Good stuff.