SpeakerBoy

4th order design

Can anyone give me a fairly straight forward design for a bandpass box for two 5 1/4" woofers? I like the one i have, but it is uber ghetto (Current Box)

I would like to have it peak around 28-30hz for chopped and screwed music, but maintain some punchiness on higher notes. Box size isnt really an issue, the one i have currently is around 9in tall, 4ft long, and 3ft wide. I like the style of mine, the way it is laid out, chamber, port etc so anything similar would be perfect (i might use a plexi top; If i do go with the plexi, i'm spraying the insides flat black). I will build it myself, out of 3/4" mdf and some bracing. Only requirements are is that it must be at most 12in tall, INCLUDING the wood thickness. I will measure my space for exact dimensions when i get home. Already have screws and glue chillin from my last project. My puppy chewed the STEEL pins off of my clamps ( :wtf: ) so they slide freely, no clamping going on there, so more of those are needed.

T/S parameters of the speakers you're using?

The million dollar question; i was afraid that would be needed, they are the factory made Aiwa (not a bad brand at all) speakers. i cant remember the model number so i will try to post pics after i can figure out how to remove them from the box, no screws visible, so i want to be positive it isnt gonna destroy the box. I will post pics of the boxes them selves though.

The million dollar question; i was afraid that would be needed, they are the factory made Aiwa (not a bad brand at all) speakers. i cant remember the model number so i will try to post pics after i can figure out how to remove them from the box, no screws visible, so i want to be positive it isnt gonna destroy the box. I will post pics of the boxes them selves though.

Better off leaving alone and going to Parts Express and seeing what is available for your application.

Chris, come on. You know better. You can't design a box unless you know what the hell you have for drivers.

Chris, come on. You know better. You can't design a box unless you know what the hell you have for drivers.

Drivers are decided. Four 5.25" tang band woofers, specs are listed: Woofers...

Sorry, i was planning on fixing the vagueness earlier but got carried away sealing up air leaks on my current setup.

Power may well be a SAX-100.4, once funds allow (also handy for future use in a car).

Max dimensions are (including wood thickness) as follows: 3ftx6ftx2ft

For $120 you should really just buy a bigger single driver and build a ported enclosure.

Don't fry that amp using it in house without a good DC power supply...

For $120 you should really just buy a bigger single driver and build a ported enclosure.

Don't fry that amp using it in house without a good DC power supply...

I am going for multiple smaller drivers, for wiring flexibility and so i can use them separately for other things later down the road.

There's no more Sax 100.4 in the SSA store? :Doh: I guess i missed that; so for the same price, i am grabbing an AQ1200D (this is just the substage, highs are taken care of). I will power it with a Deepcycle marine battery and either some 4ga or trimmed down 1/0ga wire.

After a good nights sleep, i have decided i AM NOT going with the tang bands, for various reasons.

Due to how much cheaper the peerless 6.5's are than the tang bands (both from partsexpress), instead of four, i am gettin eight for ~$100.

Peerless

To correct my original post;

I am looking for a deisgn for a 4th order bandpass for (8) 6.5" woofers. My music preferences are pretty broad, but the main focus of this project is to shine on my chopped and screwed music, while still having some punch on the higher notes. My maximum external dimensions are 3' w x 6' l x 2' h. i would like to keep the length/width to 3'x6', as it will be under my bed, to save space (my room is small enough), and would like for it to line up with the frame dimensions. I will build it myself, using 3/4" mdf. Where is a good place to get wood cut? Home depot did mine ghetto style last time i was there :bull: Renting a tablesaw is a an option, but i'd rather not, unless i must.

Everytime i post, i forget something. This is getting obnoxious. :angry22:

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Take more time before you hit "add reply"

You really, really, really SHOULDN'T build a 4th order bandpass. I would also again encourage you to use a single driver, it will work out better and later on down the road you can sell it and buy whatever you need instead of ending up with 6 extra drivers you won't use that aren't very saleable.

Take more time before you hit "add reply"

You really, really, really SHOULDN'T build a 4th order enclosure. I would also again encourage you to use a single driver, it will work out better and later on down the road you can sell it and buy whatever you need instead of ending up with 6 extra drivers you won't use that aren't very saleable.

Reasons for no 4th order? And the 8 drivers are for me for now, but later on after i get the hang of making my boxes "pretty" i am replacing the samsung speakers in my parents home theatre (hopefully by christmas :santa: ), with six of the 6.5's, a Dayton titanic 15" and some new tweets and horns. But thats a ways off.

It's not haste, it's memory problems caused by bad habits... :suicide-santa:

No it's haste. Wait 24 hours and you won't have that issue.

A ported box is a 4th order by the way, I said no 4th order bandpass. As for why not. 1) you don't have a saw, 2) your first design will need to be re-done, 3) you don't understand them well enough to design one, 4) there is no benefit for your needs (I can think of one, but if it isn't the reason you are doing this then you shouldn't)

Either way, a MUCH better question is why would you build a BP.

I still think you are wasting money buying 6.5's as well. They aren't the right choice for the future or now. Buy something used that you can sell when you are done instead.

If you want to build a bandpass box for those it's pretty much going to be guess and check anyways, so if you start this be prepared to possibly build 3-4 enclosures. Though if you're satisfied with your bed bandpass maybe you have low expectations so pretty much anything will do.

If you want to build a bandpass box for those it's pretty much going to be guess and check anyways, so if you start this be prepared to possibly build 3-4 enclosures. Though if you're satisfied with your bed bandpass maybe you have low expectations so pretty much anything will do.

I can understand that statement. It sounds WAYYY better than it looks like it should though. I was messing around when i made it the first time, never thought it would sound anywhere near this.