Hi All,

Im in the market for a good EQ for my car. I want to control as much as possible without breaking the bank. im no where near sure what makes an EQ good or what a good price for one is. bassically i want to control the subwoofers frequencies. like from 25 to 80. im not sure if there is an EQ out there that has that capability, so thats why im posting. let me know.

thanks,

Anton Miller

You can look into the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty, Audison Bit 1 or AudioControl.

What exactly do you need to fix?

not sure if its a needing to fix thing, more of a wanting more control thing. i would like an equalizer that has the most control over the signal. im not concerned about the mids and highs as much as i am the sub frequencies. i would like more options than just 32 and 60 hz. maybe like a 25 30 and 45? but idk how i would go about looking for and eq like that.

I have used audio control forever, but the way headunits have evolved with all the processing, I think that might be your better option to gain what you are looking for.

not sure if its a needing to fix thing, more of a wanting more control thing. i would like an equalizer that has the most control over the signal. im not concerned about the mids and highs as much as i am the sub frequencies. i would like more options than just 32 and 60 hz. maybe like a 25 30 and 45? but idk how i would go about looking for and eq like that.

IMO that is a waste of an eq. If there is nothing to fix there is nothing you need to control better. Plain and simple. On the other hand if you have issues with your response an eq can be a godsend. Without knowing what you want to address it won't be possible to recommend an eq.

BTW, 25,30,45 won't really do you any better than 32 & 60. An adjustable Q & selectable single frequency eq would go much further towards helping than adding a band to the two you have.

You might have to tune your sub enclosure lower to get those frequencies. Like maybe to 20 - 24 htz, but you may loose higher spl levels but sounds way better for Sound Quality. It was told to me that the average Sound Quality vehicle does around 135 db, but at 28 - 32 htz ... To me, hittin those LOW notes is more impressive than loud SPL. It helped me out. Just a suggestion sir. Then maybe the EQ might come in to play. Mine did ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I forgot to mention, most people might disagree with me, but tuning a enclosure that low you might want to wire your subs up no lower than 4 ohms. It takes an amp more power to produce those lower frequencies. 1/2 or 1 ohm setups are mainly for spl, not sound quality. just a suggestion, but if you go lower than 4 ohms to get 19 - 24 htz notes, I hope you got insurance on your amps. You might need it.

Most people who set in my truck tell me my setup is more aggressive with lower frequiencies, lower spl levels than most sub enclosures set up at 32 - 40 htz with higher spl levels. This was said by several people at USACI World Finals last October. Best of luck to you sir ... hope this helps ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I've used an alpine G190 that worked well for that, it has a parametric for the bass. Audiocontrol has some EQs more for subs, like the EQL and EQS, maybe more I'm not real familiar with all the stuff they have made. Have to say I will be using the alpine again results were better than my current 16 band, the parametric can dial right in and flatten the sub out or make it respond in the way you want. The alpine is a dash mount so I can use it on the fly. Also some amps have a bass parametric on them you could consider swapping to one. A bass boost is similar, but are typically preset at 40Hz or so, they don't help you if your issue is not at 40Hz and you can't adjust the width like a parametric. I would also change the install or enclosure first, if possible.

IMO that is a waste of an eq. If there is nothing to fix there is nothing you need to control better. Plain and simple. On the other hand if you have issues with your response an eq can be a godsend. Without knowing what you want to address it won't be possible to recommend an eq.

BTW, 25,30,45 won't really do you any better than 32 & 60. An adjustable Q & selectable single frequency eq would go much further towards helping than adding a band to the two you have.

Well basically what i want is for the sub to play frequencies up to say 65 hz, but not as loud as they are now. so i want more control over the "boost" i guess. i know i can set the low pass filter and all that good stuff. but it doesnt give much control. I want to have say all frequencies from 50-65 hz to be at like -3 db then have the rolloff be at 65. not sure if im frasing this correctly or not. but if i set the 60 hz freq (with the 60 and 32 EQ) to like -3 then then it effects the 45 hz frequencies and all that, makes a slope of negative for a while, further than i want. and i want to do the same thing for lower notes as well. i wish to be able to boost or negative boost where needed. I have an oscope and know how to use it. just kind of wondering if there is such a thing out there. now you said selctable single frequencies, what do those do? sounds like what i want...

Well basically what i want is for the sub to play frequencies up to say 65 hz, but not as loud as they are now. so i want more control over the "boost" i guess. i know i can set the low pass filter and all that good stuff. but it doesnt give much control. I want to have say all frequencies from 50-65 hz to be at like -3 db then have the rolloff be at 65. not sure if im frasing this correctly or not. but if i set the 60 hz freq (with the 60 and 32 EQ) to like -3 then then it effects the 45 hz frequencies and all that, makes a slope of negative for a while, further than i want. and i want to do the same thing for lower notes as well. i wish to be able to boost or negative boost where needed. I have an oscope and know how to use it. just kind of wondering if there is such a thing out there. now you said selctable single frequencies, what do those do? sounds like what i want...

Much better. Now what part of that doesn't it do now?

OH ... Sorry Guys ... I thought you wanted to hit LOW notes lower than 32 htz.

OH ... Sorry Guys ... I thought you wanted to hit LOW notes lower than 32 htz.

In what songs?

sound spectrum is 20 htz to 20k htz ... correct ?? Jazz, clasical, rock, country, rap, r&b, etc ... Sound Quality more or less ...

Much better. Now what part of that doesn't it do now?

well right now i just have the setting on the amp and the headunit's 7 band eq, which only one is for the sub (60 hz or is it 50? Cant remember). so if i turn the 50 or 60 hz one down it turns the lows down, not ideal in my situation. so i think it effects the "wave" or "slope" of the signal. so say if i put the 50 hz to like -2 then 32 hz would be at like -8 (not sure if this math is correct). but it sort of explains where im coming from. and say you had a 60 and a 32 hz adjustment. if you turned down the 60 wouldnt the signal be in negative db's untill it hit 32? then it would flaten out right? maybe my logic is wrong, but it seems to be right per an ear test. so refering to my last post, i wish to control certain frequencies with more "accuracy". like the 50-65 hz at - 3db signal and the rest would be a case to case thing depending on subwoofer movement/heating up and so on. just somthing to think about maybe. i may be way off on this and need to be set straight. IDK somtimes my logic is really bad.

IDk if that gave you more info, but it took me a while to type it. lol, also i know my spelling is horrible. its late and im tired so....yea...

Thanks for your time.

sound spectrum is 20 htz to 20k htz ... correct ?? Jazz, clasical, rock, country, rap, r&b, etc ... Sound Quality more or less ...

Umm, yes you can hear (if you are really, really lucky from 20Hz to 20kHz, in reality more like 25hz - 15kHz if you are over 25, but either way.

I asked what songs you think there are these notes that are under 32Hz as you won't find many. Since you seem to know about low frequencies I was wondering what songs these were.

What can I say, There in all of them. Guess you just need to have a system built good and strong enough to hear them. I know, Its not an easy task.

What can I say, There in all of them. Guess you just need to have a system built good and strong enough to hear them. I know, Its not an easy task.

ROFL. You are hilarious. Name ONE song that has 25Hz notes that YOU listen to. Really. I know why you can't. Since you designed your system to be perfect for SQ and "they are in there" you obviously listen to them. Share please. Since they are in EVERY genre, let's pick Rock or hell Jazz if you prefer. Something you use for SQ testing would be perfect.

WOW ... I thought this was a EQ and lower frequiencies thread. Sorry to the person that started this thread.

But, M5, If you must know ... The Eagles : Long Road to Eden, Trans Siberian Orchestra, 5 Finger Death Punch : The Way of the Fist, Focal reference disc, Sheffield Labs disc, Iasca Refference disc, Michael Murray (Pipe Organ) music, Boston Accoustics Disc , Bass Mechanic ... Shall I go on ... You seem like a smart guy ...

I dont care if you guys bicker in my post, just as long as i get the question awnsered. lol. i like reading other people bicker back and forth. but i agree with m5, not many songs out there that have those low, LOW notes. a few, but not many. and a low note for like 1 sec shouldnt count. lol

Thats cool sir, Just trying to help ... Thats just what it took for my old Chevy to win at the USACI Sound Quality World Finals last October. It takes alot from a system to play those low notes correctly. Yes they do last longer than 1 second. I use my Linear Power PA2 EQ and XO3 X-over every day for proper tuning, staging, and imageing. Most systems don't require this. But for a $4,000.00 system to beat out systems costing $50,000.00 or better, IT WAS WORTH IT !!! I was just trying to help. Good luck with your ride sir.

Edited by Cablguy184

well i still cant find an eq that will do what i want it to do. what are the single frequency ones that m5 was talking about?

I would try www.Audiocontrol.com they might have what you need.

I would try www.Audiocontrol.com they might have what you need.

ive been looking there, but i dont know what im looking for. as in i have no clue whats good or bad. I like this one, but not sure if its a good one or not, i like the SPL display thing. that would help for testing on the fly...

If I was to bet, I would look at the DQXS ... looks very nice with alot of tuning gadgets ... check it out.