well right now i just have the setting on the amp and the headunit's 7 band eq, which only one is for the sub (60 hz or is it 50? Cant remember). so if i turn the 50 or 60 hz one down it turns the lows down, not ideal in my situation. so i think it effects the "wave" or "slope" of the signal. so say if i put the 50 hz to like -2 then 32 hz would be at like -8 (not sure if this math is correct). but it sort of explains where im coming from. and say you had a 60 and a 32 hz adjustment. if you turned down the 60 wouldnt the signal be in negative db's untill it hit 32? then it would flaten out right? maybe my logic is wrong, but it seems to be right per an ear test. so refering to my last post, i wish to control certain frequencies with more "accuracy". like the 50-65 hz at - 3db signal and the rest would be a case to case thing depending on subwoofer movement/heating up and so on. just somthing to think about maybe. i may be way off on this and need to be set straight. IDK somtimes my logic is really bad.

IDk if that gave you more info, but it took me a while to type it. lol, also i know my spelling is horrible. its late and im tired so....yea...

Thanks for your time.

If you put your EQ to -2 @ 60hz, then the signal shouldn't be down -8 @ 32hz. The signal @ 32hz may be down some, but it will be some amount less than -2 (the adjustment at the center frequency of the EQ). One thing you need to understand however is that there is no EQ on the market that will allow you to adjust individual frequencies. Every EQ has an Q factor. The value of Q tells you how wide of a bandwidth of frequencies will be affected by an adjustment made to the EQ at a given center frequency. The higher the Q, the narrower the bandwidth. So when you make an adjustment at 50 or 60hz, some range of frequencies above and below that frequency (the bandwidth depends on the Q) will be affected by the adjustment (the further from the center frequency, the less the signal is affected). So any EQ won't offer exactly what you want. An adjustment at one frequency will affect frequencies around it.....there's no escaping this fact.

A parametric EQ allows you to adjust the Q factor as well as the center frequency of EQ bands. This would allow you a little more control over the effect of the EQ, but parametric EQ's generally have less EQ bands. So while their control is a little better, the give you less bands to play with. A graphic EQ has fixed center frequencies and Q factors, so there is less flexibility but they generally offer more bands. If you want "a lot" of control in the bottom 2 octaves, you'll probably have to go the route of a 1/3 octave graphic EQ. It would give you the most bands to contour the sound. A typical 1/3 octave graphic EQ that begins at 20hz would have center frequencies in the bass region of 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63 & 80hz. Most parametrics will likely offer only around 2 bands of adjustment within the same 2 octaves.

I'd also ask what subwoofer and enclosure you were using? A change in enclosure alignment may help partially solve the issues you are having aswell. Fixing some response issues related to the enclosure would reduce the amount EQ necessary to reach your target response.

Thats just what it took for my old Chevy to win at the USACI Sound Quality World Finals last October.

You really have a hard time entering a thread and not mentioning this, don't you?

WOW ... I thought this was a EQ and lower frequiencies thread. Sorry to the person that started this thread.

It is, but recommending equipment without understanding the need of the user is absurd.

But, M5, If you must know ... The Eagles : Long Road to Eden

Perfect, I asked for one song, you gave me an album. Either way. What instrument plays at 25Hz on that album? And since I asked for a song, which song is it on and where?

The first thing I said in this thread was about box tuning, then EQ adjustment. The man still wants an adequate EQ for his vehicle.

M5 started on me about the other stuff. I guess His system just ain't strong enough to hear the low stuff or else he would know what I was talking about. M5, IF you want to hear my truck to know what I'm talking about, I'll be at Showfest in Tunica, MS qualifing for 2010 World Finals. Please Show up.

Sorry guys. All I tried to say is how I fixed my truck for my purpose. I could use other vechicles we built if you like (theres 8 World Champions on Team Linear Power).

I just don't trust headunits for equalization in competition. I think he needs a lower tuned box. I think in another thread he said he was running a pair of 12s. I think he would like DQXS for the entire spectrum tuning, staging, immaging, and balacning, not just bass adjustment.

Edited by Cablguy184

The first thing I said in this thread was about box tuning, then EQ adjustment. The man still wants an adequate EQ for his vehicle.

M5 started on me about the other stuff. I guess His system just ain't strong enough to hear the low stuff or else he would know what I was talking about. M5, IF you want to hear my truck to know what I'm talking about, I'll be at Showfest in Tunica, MS qualifing for 2010 World Finals. Please Show up.

Sorry guys. All I tried to say is how I fixed my truck for my purpose. I could use other vechicles we built if you like (theres 8 World Champions on Team Linear Power).

I just don't trust headunits for equalization in competition. I think he needs a lower tuned box. I think in another thread he said he was running a pair of 12s. I think he would like DQXS for the entire spectrum tuning, staging, immaging, and balacning, not just bass adjustment.

And again without understanding his needs you are assuming you know something he should do that I don't agree with. You claim all sorts of 25Hz information in music, I just asked for ONE example. Pretty dumb to recommend a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

VERY simple question. What instrument in the Long Road to Eden plays 25Hz?

I think he would like DQXS for the entire spectrum tuning, staging, immaging, and balacning, not just bass adjustment.

Perhaps you shouldn't think, and instead listen to what he says. He asked for something specific regarding his subs. I am trying to understand what they do and don't without assuming like yourself so that we can come to a good solution. Buying an expensive ass processor for 1 eq band is a bit silly. In particular since he never once asked about "entire spectrum tuning, imaging, or balancing" and in fact specifically said that he just wants to tune in his bass.

You are so quick to recommend equipment which is regularly NOT the answer, adjusting the install normally solves this.

I'll be at Showfest in Tunica, MS qualifing for 2010 World Finals. Please Show up.

If you can even come close to competing with what you have shown us in your install there obviously isn't much competition. Stop tooting your own horn, its laughable.

Whoop de fucking do. 8 World Champions. Wow. I am so impressed that you know someone, that knows someone, that actually won something. Perhaps instead of trying to show people up if you stepped back and tried to learn a thing or two you could also come closer to really competing on that level. You aren't going to make it with your attitude.

You don't "trust". Okay, with your great wisdom obviously no one else should either. Processing can be in anything a headunit, a pc, an offboard proc. It doesn't matter as long as it can do what is necessary. Again you are pimping equipment instead of a solution, but I guess that is logical as you don't seem to show you understand the solution.

Recommending a multi-hundred dollar proc is crazy for what the OP asked.

Recommending a lower tuned box to play notes that you can't tell us where they exist is also dubious. In particular since you do not know the OP listening preferences. Your equipment bias is absurd. Drivers are REALLY easy to replace and improve upon, installation on the other hand is not.

One other note to the OP. Not sure if you need a box, an eq, or just some small adjustments. As I stated before we really need to understand the anomalies you are trying to deal with to come up with a solution.

Anton Miller, good luck with your build sir. Hope you get things worked out.

M5, I would rather compete than argue sir. I challenge you to a outlaw sound quality competition. Interested?? Where are you located?

Anton Miller, good luck with your build sir. Hope you get things worked out.

M5, I would rather compete than argue sir. I challenge you to a outlaw sound quality competition. Interested?? Where are you located?

Lollerskates. MN. Who is the judge?

No need to argue, just answer the question. Once you will do you will see EXACTLY why I asked. What instrument on your Eagles SQ album that YOU listen to all the time plays this glorious 25Hz note that you designed YOUR system to play?

*Everyone on here will assume if you don't answer the question that you do not personally know of any 25Hz notes on that album although you cited it earlier*

BTW, the question should be easy if you've actually done ANY critical listening in your car.

Guess I'll let you wonder about the music. I don't care what people think about me. Your the one using profannity in this forum, not me. Hidding something?? Lets plan out a competition somewhere in the middle and have fun... winner buys dinner.

Thanks Impious for Awsome spoonfeeding, you sure know how to make thing's short and sweet.LOL. I already knew this stuff myself but couldn't of put it in less word's if I wanted to. I am GREAT with math, but poor with word's. As usual YOU only speak with GREAT INTELLIGENCE.smile.gif (yes you always get my vote)

Some of you guy's make me feel SO HUMBLE, and remember I am a young Bull.smile.gif

Anyway's I have the PXA-H100 hooked to my Alpine CDA-9886 and LOVE having ALL these control's on the HU, make's tuning a snap.wink.gif Good enough for the average person, i.e. T/A, Both kind's of EQ w/Q factor , 3-way adjustable crossover with gain control, subwoofer level, and phasing with push of the volume knob, just to start.(yes the list go's on)

Guess I'll let you wonder about the music. I don't care what people think about me. Your the one using profannity in this forum, not me. Hidding something?? Lets plan out a competition somewhere in the middle and have fun... winner buys dinner.

So in other words you are full of it. Obviously there is no 25Hz on that album. Prove otherwise. REALLY, REALLY simple. Your posts have no credibility if you can't. And again, if you will you will finally understand why I asked which WILL help the OP really understand what he needs to do.

I don't have anything to hide, I am not the one citing others accomplishments or my own. Instead I'll let my laurels fall on my comments and advice on the site. Something you still have a lot to prove on.

Your posts have no credibility if you can't.

His posts haven't had any credibility from the beginning. He spouts off some "fact", when asked to provide some type of support for that "fact" he tries to play the argument from authority card (by way of mentioning, repeatedly, his or others placement at world finals), and when that fails and he is continually asked to provide some type of actual proof to support his original "fact" his only response is to challenge the opposing party to a sound quality competition. This is his M.O. He has done it in multiple threads now. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. And if I'm by chance wrong on this assumption, then at minimum the art of explanation completely eludes him. He is one of the unfortunates who mistakenly believe that sound quality competitions trump everything else. It trumps questions. It trumps explanation. It trumps knowledge. It trumps science and physics. To these people, they are right unless you have a SQ competition card to play against him. Because SQ competition is the answer, the explanation.

Impious ... You are correct sir. I am a Sound Quality Competitor. This year I'm competing in SPL too. Hope to see you guys in the lanes.

The only "fact" that I have is that I was on stage with some of the BEST competitors in the Sound Quality game. I'm proud of that.

I don't care if I win or loose. If I loose, I make adjustments, corrections, modifications, and upgrades to compete the next year. I'll be the first to tell you that my truck is only half complete(got to have something to look forward to). Thats the spirit of competition.

Almost every competition SQ vehicle has some type of EQ or proccessor. Everyone knows that. I sat and listened to hundreds of SQ vehicles before I built mine.

To the person that started this thread, that's who I would listen too --- innovaters of this industry --- Champions that build, compete, determined to be the best --- not people that read car audio broshures and type for a living.

M5, You are the Man sir. You've Got got a competitive spirit. I like that. I would love to beat the best on this forum (can you imagine the bragging rights) ...

I would like top three members of SSA be the judge. At a LARGE AUDIO SHOW of course.

"OUTLAW SQ" no points for install or SPL.

2 seat judging.

Disc of judges choice.

Sounds like fun to me. you interested?? Winner Buys Dinner / Looser Buys the Beer ...

If I loose, You just beat out a noob. IF I win, well, you got the idea ... You seem like a smart guy ...(happy Birth Day)

Edited by Cablguy184

To the person that started this thread, that's who I would listen too --- innovaters of this industry --- Champions that build, compete, determined to be the best --- not people that read car audio broshures and type for a living.

There are about a dozen or so SQ competitors who I would actually listen to. The rest....well....SQ competitors are one of the many perpetuators of myths in this hobby. They "trust their ears" more than physics. They accept the argument from authority as being valid. They simply copy what someone else does without an understanding of how or why it may or may not work. If they do stumble upon something "that works", they ascribe the how and why to the wrong factors. There are a handful of actual innovators with excellent knowledge and understanding....the rest just follow along without really knowing why other than someone else has done it or told them to do it.

I would trust a non-competitor who can demonstrate logical reasoning, an understanding of the physics and science involved, and who possesses the ability to explain their viewpoint or support their statements with actual data or information long before I'd trust the word of a "SQ competitor" on the simple basis that they are an SQ competitor. You, however, seem to think the later is sufficient evidence that something is true.

Alright guys, you win ... I'll just fade off into the sunset I guess. I have several shows to get ready for. Got fiberglass work to do.

Mr. Miller, good luck hope you find what you are looking for.

Randal, answer the question. What instrument is it? If you don't know the instrument at what point where in what song does?

Your posts have no credibility if you can't.

His posts haven't had any credibility from the beginning.

You and I realize that but I am afraid of what others reading the thread might think. Wanted him to prove ANYTHING he is saying, but he obviously can't which you and I both know. I'll bet he doesn't respond ever to my question, which was really simple and FUNDAMENTALLY required for the answer he gave to the OP in this thread.

Focal Demo Disc, aka UACSI Sound Quality Judging Disc, Song: Grandmas Hands ... Thmphany drum ...

Isaca Test Disc, Song: Can you feel the Bass ... Not sure of the instrument ...

Michael Murray, Telarc, (pipe organ) song: take your pic at the song ...

Eric Kunzel, Telarc CD: Time Warp, song ... take your pic at the song ...

Usaci SQ test CD ... song: Not sure, its a test disc ...

hope this helps ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Focal Demo Disc, aka UACSI Sound Quality Judging Disc, Song: Grandmas Hands ... Thmphany drum ... Hope this helps ...

He asked for a song off the Eagles album. Not the Focal Demo disc. Here, Post #28

I highly doubt you drive around listening to the Focal Demo disc for a good time. Which is what he asked for. Music you actually listen to, not music from a demo disc specificially chosen because it has low frequency content. I have the IASCA disc with Planet Kryptonite which has an 18hz organ in it.....but that's not music I actually listen to.

So you have still yet to answer the question.

How do you know what kind of music I listen to ??? yall are just being Jerks now ...

You're avoiding the question posed in post # 28 as linked above. You are pitiful at directly answering a direct question.

The music on demo discs is generally drab and atrocious. High quality recordings, yes. But I would be highly skeptical if you tried to claim you drive around listening to Grandma's Hands because you enjoy the music when the references you gave (other than demo discs) were the Eagles, Trans Siberian Orchestra and Five Finger Death Punch. Why I'm even humoring your attempt at sidetracking the conversation so that you could yet again avoid answering the question, I'm not really sure.

Sir, I already said "I give up, Yall win" You won the battle ... I gave up to keep from getting kicked off the forum ... But yall shure know how to kick a man when he's down ... Real hard to believe you 2 are the people that others look up to in this forum ... I'm kicking myself out of this conversation ... Yall have a nice day ...

Sir, I already said "I give up, Yall win" You won the battle ... I gave up to keep from getting kicked off the forum ... But yall shure know how to kick a man when he's down ... Real hard to believe you 2 are the people that others look up to in this forum ... I'm kicking myself out of this conversation ... Yall have a nice day ...

That is a really strange way of admitting you lied. And btw there would be no kicking if you would be able to back up ANYTHING you posted. So far you have proven that you will just post anything even when it isn't the truth.