silenkiller

Four Q's vs Four Bl's? What differences can you expect?

Alright, so hows this for a comparison. Both setups would be on 4,000 watts rms. Both would be ported to optimal space. Aside from the Q's costing less, what would you expect the differences to be?

Also, both applications would be tuned low to optimize the low end. Most likely 27-28 hz tuning.

Q's louder around the 30hz and under, Bl's louder on the 30hz and higher notes?

That's all I can think of. Honestly though would the differences at 30hz even be really that noticeable?

I'm trying to advise a friend of mine who is interested in building with Fi products.

These would be 15's, by the way. Maybe 12's if the space ends up not accommodating. This is going in a walled car, subs/ports into the cabin. H.O. Alt and a big batt in the trunk already. My buddy isn't an SQ competitor or anything, but he wants it to sound good because of his broad music. Rap/Rock/Techno/Metal

Edited by silenkiller

I, too, interested in this comparison. I'm looking into building two single boxes with Q18 - mainly interested in fidelity.

go with the bls...especially with that much power...the qs will blow, they arnt meant to b loud, they are meant for sound quality.

Lets see, The BL's Cannot be sealed, the Q's can. Generally the Q's will go lower than the Bl's. The BL's have a ton of output but aren't by any means a SQ Driver (However they do sound good)

also the BL's can handle much more power.

Lets see, The BL's Cannot be sealed, the Q's can. Generally the Q's will go lower than the Bl's. The BL's have a ton of output but aren't by any means a SQ Driver (However they do sound good)

also the BL's can handle much more power.

So, really, unless your are trying to do SQ competitions, for the average person who likes their subs to sound good and get loud, the bl is the way to go.

Now, I just wonder exactly what the low end difference is between the Q and BL. There is a lot of music out there that has 26-30hz parts that are wicked when your setup can push them out.

If the Q hits the lows more (more xmax?) exactly how MUCH more, is the question.

It's all box dependent. The BL's are the choice for you though. Most rap peaks in the 40-50Hz region, so there's no reason to tune that low really.

It's all box dependent. The BL's are the choice for you though. Most rap peaks in the 40-50Hz region, so there's no reason to tune that low really.

Well, he listens to broad range of music - and there are plenty of rap songs out there that are in the low 30's high 20's anymore.

Hm, has anyone ever put the bl in winisd? Shows a wild curve whereas the Q seems to be a lot more flat.

Down lower the Qs will be louder from what i have heard, but in general the BLs will be louder off the same power. If you are a low end freak and love them, i would go with the Qs.. I mean its 4 drivers with 4000 watts its going to be loud ether way. Plus with your mix of music they well perform well.

There aren't that many songs that have notes in the 26-30hz range as there are in the 40-50hz range. If you get the BLs they say to port the lowest to 30hz and the Q to 28hz so I wouldn't go down to 27hz especially going with the BLs. You will be able to hear those low notes just fine with tuning it to 30hz and then you will still be in the reccommended range. To answer your question the BLs will be louder than the Qs and still sound good doing it. The Q is made for SQ purposes not for SPL purposes like it seems to me you are aiming for.

go with the bls...especially with that much power...the qs will blow, they arnt meant to b loud, they are meant for sound quality.

The Qs would be fine off that power. 4 on 4,000rms means 1,000rms a piece, which is what they are rated for.

Your buddy will probably be happy with either setup. The BLs will probably do better numbers on the meter, though. Don't doubt the Q in it's output ability. I've heard 2 Q 15s on an AQ2200 and they got plenty loud.

:ehh:

Down lower the Qs will be louder from what i have heard, but in general the BLs will be louder off the same power. If you are a low end freak and love them, i would go with the Qs.. I mean its 4 drivers with 4000 watts its going to be loud ether way. Plus with your mix of music they well perform well.

See that's kinda how I have been thinking about this. The dude isn't going to be going to comps or anything. So four Q's off of 4000 watts should be loud enough lol while still getting that added low end that the Q line provides.

There aren't that many songs that have notes in the 26-30hz range as there are in the 40-50hz range. If you get the BLs they say to port the lowest to 30hz and the Q to 28hz so I wouldn't go down to 27hz especially going with the BLs. You will be able to hear those low notes just fine with tuning it to 30hz and then you will still be in the reccommended range. To answer your question the BLs will be louder than the Qs and still sound good doing it. The Q is made for SQ purposes not for SPL purposes like it seems to me you are aiming for.

Yeah I agree with that. Hm, a Q will take 1000 watts all day without any problems right? <-- Ninja edit: Yeah just read the post above, thats what I thought. That they take 1k fine.

Blah this is hard. I should open a shop that has entire car audio product lines setup for comparison side by side to help people make decisions lol

Edited by silenkiller

yeah a Q would be absolutely fine on that much power, just make sure to set the gains accordingly

Yeah I agree with that. Hm, a Q will take 1000 watts all day without any problems right? <-- Ninja edit: Yeah just read the post above, thats what I thought. That they take 1k fine.

Blah this is hard. I should open a shop that has entire car audio product lines setup for comparison side by side to help people make decisions lol

Yeah the Q can handle 1k easily. I have ran mine on 1500 watts for long periods of time and have not had any problems with it not being able to take it.

Love the idea of the shop if I just had the money to buy all the subs :trippy:

Its just for personal fun then i see, then ya i would choose the Qs low tuned for that reason. whats in there now?

yeah a Q would be absolutely fine on that much power, just make sure to set the gains accordingly

Thank you everyone. I discussed this all with my friend and he seems to be leaning towards the Q's, since it will also save some cash for sure.

Will be sending more people in Fi's direction in the future!

Its just for personal fun then i see, then ya i would choose the Qs low tuned for that reason. whats in there now?

He used to have the same setup as me with (2) hdc3 15's off of aq2200d's. We both eventually decided it was good but wanted more sq/low end.

Edited by silenkiller

IMO sq/low end is a must when you like a wide mix of music, cause every song has to sound good lol.

Holy crap there is some bad advice in this thread.

There are VERY FEW songs that have 26-30Hz music.

You reference "should be enough off 4kW". That statement alone tells me you are a BL buyer and not a Q buyer, misrepresenting the lows will only get you a sub that doesn't do what you want it to.

And no one yet has asked how much space you have. That should be the FIRST thing anyone asks before answering any question about a sub.

Generically speaking I'd take everything so far with a grain of salt, but DO NOT come to the conclusion the Q's are for your friend as it is definitely the wrong conclusion...unless you have left out some serious bit of information that I don't see shared so far.

A quick re-read of the noob posting guidelines in my sig will surely help make your thread much better.

Holy crap there is some bad advice in this thread.

There are VERY FEW songs that have 26-30Hz music.

You reference "should be enough off 4kW". That statement alone tells me you are a BL buyer and not a Q buyer, misrepresenting the lows will only get you a sub that doesn't do what you want it to.

And no one yet has asked how much space you have. That should be the FIRST thing anyone asks before answering any question about a sub.

Generically speaking I'd take everything so far with a grain of salt, but DO NOT come to the conclusion the Q's are for your friend as it is definitely the wrong conclusion...unless you have left out some serious bit of information that I don't see shared so far.

A quick re-read of the noob posting guidelines in my sig will surely help make your thread much better.

Hey I went a head and looked through your guidelines thing. Sorry I didn't mean to start this up if its all frowned upon and whatnot. I'm confused what you mean by misrepresenting the lows? Do you mean my definition of low is too low? lol Like that what I think is 25 hz is really 35hz? I think I need to get out some programs and figure out exactly how low some of my favorite songs are.

Yes I think you are guessing what your goals are and don't know.

Definitely not a problem to start a thread, but instead of saying what you think you need, stating what your goals are and asking for help in choosing will get you a lot further. What happened was a bunch of people who don't know and haven't used either responded saying to use the Q since they think about "lows" the same way you do. The end result is that it "looks" logical based on the responses when in reality once you state your goals I'd bet money that the Q isn't the right solution for you. Just a hunch on my part now, but reading between the lines I severely doubt that my hunch is off.

Saw your note in this thread:

2 FI Audio q series dual 2 ohm 15's - SSA Car Audio Forum - Page 2

You CANNOT mix old and new Q's in an install.

Plus AGAIN without knowing REALLY how much space you have NO ONE can recommend anything and have it be helpful.

Well, now you're just making assumptions ;P. I have two 15 inch dual 1 q's with bp already. One I'm selling, and the other is in a HT setup of mine. So, thats what I mean't by I'd get those if they were dual 1's, because then I could wire all four to 2 ohm load for strapped aq2200d's.

Also, at some point in the beginning of my thread I believe I said something to the effect of to assume both subwoofers would be in their optimum spaces. I can most likely get 16 cubes. Won't be easy, but I think I can.

So, what are some compelling reasons to go BL instead of q? to justify spending the extra dough?

Edited by silenkiller