matt cusack

Hdf or Mdf??

I plan on building a box in the near future. Which of these would be best to build with and if there is any sound difference between them?

Thanks,

Matt Cusack

I never knew there was a difference to be honest with you, I know most use MDF for there enclosures. In this article it gives why one is used over the other, so give it read while I let someone chime in who knows about wood types:

DSM - Melamine - Applications - MDF

"HDF is generally used in the flooring industry, and contains more resin and fiber per cubic meter than MDF"

I never knew there was a difference to be honest with you, I know most use MDF for there enclosures. In this article it gives why one is used over the other, so give it read while I let someone chime in who knows about wood types:

DSM - Melamine - Applications - MDF

"HDF is generally used in the flooring industry, and contains more resin and fiber per cubic meter than MDF"

Thas all i ever read was people using mdf board. Thanks for the read! I was thinking because it is more dense sound would " bounce" better off of it? if im wayy off tell me haha

Thanks,

Matt Cusack

Not a problem as I really dont know, a couple of more knowledgeable individuals will give us a better answer.

MDF stands for medium density fiberboard, HDF is high density. MDF royaly fucks your tools when you cut it, HDF is much worse. I'd stick with MDF, Birch, or Trupan Light. Don't worry about the sounds waves reflecting, MDF is already dead and reflective.

MDF stands for medium density fiberboard, HDF is high density. MDF royaly fucks your tools when you cut it, HDF is much worse. I'd stick with MDF, Birch, or Trupan Light. Don't worry about the sounds waves reflecting, MDF is already dead and reflective.

MDF is NOT acuostically dead, Just better than some of the alternatives.

I got the following from a PDF I found:

Medium Density Fibreboard: is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down softwood into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure. The majority of wood mills reuse the saw dust created during the manufuring of lumber to make MDF. This process insures a minimum of lumber waste.

High Density Fibreboard: is similar to MDF and particleboard, but is much more dense, strong and hard because it is made from exploded wood fibres that have been highly compressed using a similar binding process to MDF.

Property / MDF / HDF

Density per kg/m3 / 600-900 / 900-950

Moisture Content % / 5-10 / 5-10

Expansion in Water after 24 hrs. by % / 7-9 / 5

Resistant to Fungus/Termites / Moderate / High

While more properties exist, this comparison shows that (depending on the manufacturer) that HDF can be almost three quarters more dense than MDF, that MDF will swell in moisture

almost twice the amount as HDF (which can cause board expansion, and breakage), and that, due to the density of the product, it is highly resistant to parasites. Another item to note is that HDF also increases the strength of the locking system, thereby increasing the ease of installation and a higher resistance to board separation.

From what I have heard, HDF is a lot more in price. Right around the price of Birch. Not sure if the price would be worth it, if birch can be had.

Please explain more.

Please explain more.

Maybe he is comparing it to a slab of marble? :)

If we wanted to get super technical MDF and HDF are not "acoustically dead," something that would be acoustically dead would be a material that sound waves would bound off of and not penetrate hence the slab of marble.

The short and simple, HDF is more acoustically dead than MDF but it will dull your tools even faster and weigh more. Persoanlly I used MDF because tools and gas are already expensive enough :)

Andrew

Thanks guy's. Appreciate all the responses. I will be using mdf for my build.

Thank You

Matt Cusack

also if it twice as dense wouldent it be close to twice as heavy? i would just use 1" mdf or 2 layers of 3/4

It isn't twice as dense.

Please explain more.

What part do you need explained?

Density is a measure of porosity. Weight is a measure of specific gravity. If someone would send me a 8 x 16 piece of HDF I can measure the difference between the 2 types by nuclear gauge relative to the moisture content of the product. A nomograph can be made for the following 3 values to determine density based on thickness, area, and humidity.