CrownVic

Door Speaker Question

I have a couple questions. First would be: I have an 86 Ford Crown Vic that i just installed some 5 1/4 coaxials in the front kick panels, and i was wondering if i added a baffle or some type of backstop if it would increase the volume a little bit. I dare not list the speakers in question because of the shittyness. They are just mounted in the factory location under the door panel cover. Second question would be if i ran 2 sets of four ohm speakers to my two channel amp what ohm load would the amplifier see. Amp is a RF punch 450.2 powering 2 sets of coaxials. I ran the left channels both positives to the amps positive speaker output and the same with the negative. If this needs clarifying then please let me know. Thank you very much.

Edit: Wrong forum sorry. Mods if you will please move to speakers/subwoofers.

Edited by CrownVic

Anyone? Did i word the question poorly?

back stop... do you mean a RING behind the speaker it self? and also WHY do you wnat to add volume if you have crap speakres and if they are crap why bother amping them?

now if you have 2-sets of speaker so 4 speaker total hooked up to a 2channel amp you would have 2-speaker per channel and since both speakers are single 4ohm coils they would be hooked up in parrellel so the ohm load would drop to 2ohm per channel! but depending on how you set it up you would lose either your fade or L/R balance

umm i thikn that is what you are asking.... if not pplease restat!

No i don't mean a ring. I mean like something behind the speaker, I just cant think of the word to describe it. The speakers are the walmart sony xplode 5 1/4" Coaxials. I got them because the car only had a set of 6x9's in the rear package tray and needed something for the front. I was just wondering if there was something similar to the PVC cap idea i could use to put the speaker in, the speaker itself is mounted directly in the factory cutout in the doorpanel

Perhaps if you gave more information, you'd get more answers. I have no idea what you have or how it is setup from your thread so far. Other than they are "shitty sony's from walmart"

umm i am a bit lost lol!!

if you are giong to put SOMETHING behind a speaker it WILL take up space therefore taking UP cubic volume.

maybe try to draw a pic in paint...

wtf are those? are they like a speaker mount?

They go behind the speaker! Like a small enclosure or dust and water protector. They are made of closed cell foam.

umm i c sounds kind a cool!

coudl you use them for comps? also how much volume do they give each speaker... is this liek poor man's sound deadener? or a way around deadener?

Couldn't tell you! Never used them personally.

Are you looking for this? h237xt65.jpeg

Those are nearly useless. Terrible idea. Can block dripping water, but you NEED to cut a large ass hole in them.

My thoughts exactly, that's why I have never used them. I just posted them up as that is what I think the OP is trying to describe.

so they are useless so to OP scratch that idea! lol!

any other unanswered question you need answering? we are herer for you!

That is exactly what i was asking about. Somethink like that or similar. I was wondering if it would maybe make it a little bit louder? I was just curious about that. thank you for your help.

I don't really know if louder would be the term. Just better sounding in general I always hear here that sound is very install dependent so i was just curious if there was a way to get a bit more "loudness" i guess.

Edited by CrownVic

n/p man you are welcome! any time!

Those will almost always cramp drivers, they need WAY more space than that.

I guess that they work better in the Infinite Baffle type setup of a door panel? Do you have any other tips or tricks that would help the install? I just feel like i left something out or that it could sound better.

umm i am pretty sure those things will ACT as an incluse and sufficate any and ALL speakers...

the only thing you can do to beef up the SQ is to invest in a pair of component speaker and AND sound deadener!!

when i added sound deadener to my doors i was liek WOW i cant' believe i didn't do this sooner! lol!

although most ppl think sound deadener for a piar of speaker isn't worth it but only worth it for component speakers! using an amp will also give you the best benifit as you are doing already! so congrats!

I was thinking about sound deadening but just wasn't sure how much work i wanted to put in a car thats 24 years old. Thanks alot for all the help. I may sound noobish and i may not post much but i spend a lot of time reading the good info hear and i am glad that there are places like this that actually have meaningful discussions without a bunch of bullshit.

lol same here! when i first came here i was reading a ton then once i got more confident i jsut starting replying all over the place to help ppl out the best i could with the knowledge that i knew! and yes i learned how to look dumb as you can see in some of my earily posts lol!

but hey that is why this is one of the best if not the best forums around! it has a SUPER good and smart community with plenty of helpful ppl! learn grow and help! and enjoy your stay i know i do!

Deadening, a baffle, isolating the backwave will all GREATLY improve how your speakers sound.

Piece of wood (mdf) or other and attatch it to your door and mount your speaker to that. Seal around the baffle and all open holes in your door.