E50

recommendation 2 q18's aq2200

Hello guys I am looking for stories or possibly someone with some experienced advice that may have used q 18's in a 2003 explorer . first of all I have a 2003 explorer with a 4.6 v8 ,220 amp alternator 2 runs of 1/0 kicker power wire, 4 stinger spv44 batteries. cda9887 alpine receiver ('audio control matrix' voltage booster in the near future) to a jl slash 300/4 powering focal 165v2s's front and rear , a audioque 2200d to power 2 fi q 18's w/bp power dual 1's , a audioque 1200d powering a digital designs 9515, as well as a digital designs 1510t will be ran in the center console , I don't have the amplifier for that yet and yes there will much more than likely be more sets of components .I know what your probably thinking why throw in the dd's ? I have tried the q's in a 6 ft sealed enclosure as well as a vented enclosure 6 ft. tuned to 27.5 110 sq in. surface with light to medium polyfill and it seemed to me that the higher frequencies 65-70 weren't there and my dd's always produce such powerful upper range so I'm going to see how it overlaps .Between the receiver the amps and the voltage booster I believe I should have all the adjustment I need. when I'm done I should have a wall behind the second row seating 3 subwoofer enclosures with 2 18's facing forward behind the seat .The vents will be up toward the roof blowing forward ,1 18 on the drivers side facing forward and 1 18 on the passenger side but the 15 will be facing upward towards the roof in between the 18's below the top of the seat with the vent coming 8 -10 inches above the woofer and once again blowing toward the front of the vehicle and the faceplate will be sealed from the back so there's my project any suggestions will be greatly appreciated or even stories of how a particular volume surface and length worked or didn't work in this vehicle.I know I didn't leave you with a maximum volume to work with but I know the range the subs once I here back i'll crunch the numbers. THANKS GUYS ,E

Ok forget about buying the "Q"...Look into the "BL" or even the "BTL".

Forget about adding all those differen't size woofers.....Waste of time and money as you will have nothing but cancellation issues.

Second that. As well as ditch the rears and invest more money in the front.

already have all the subs laying around and am only missing line driver amp,this may be a dumb question but i kind of figured that with the 9887's ktx-100eq's time alignment should help that right

First off if you have the "Q's" build them in a proper box to Fi specs!

Your Alpine HU will be more than enough for TA and no need for the Line Driver as the HU is 5 volt already iirmc.

I don't know why everyone on this forum seems to discourage everyone on the Q. There's nothing wrong using them. Especially when everyone always says performance is all about the install.

I do agree that you should stick to one type of sub, not a bunch of different kinds. Get some good speakers that can go down to 60hz with authority, like a midbass woofer or something.

Only reason we discourage them from the "Q" is they try and put a ton of power to them and try to achieve to much SPL from a woofer designed for SQ.

Your Alpine HU will be more than enough for TA and no need for the Line Driver as the HU is 5 volt already iirmc.

the enclosure its in now is 6 ft at 27.5 they recommend 6-10 @28

Could you provide pics of your exsisting setup?

I don't know why everyone on this forum seems to discourage everyone on the Q. There's nothing wrong using them. Especially when everyone always says performance is all about the install.

I do agree that you should stick to one type of sub, not a bunch of different kinds. Get some good speakers that can go down to 60hz with authority, like a midbass woofer or something.

Like that ,maybe I can throw a couple of 8" middrivers

We do not discourage everyone using the Q. The Q is a marvelous driver, the reason most people are not Q buyers is because the Q is not designed for loud, it is not made to be loud. People look at the power handling of the Q and BL, as well as the xmax and buy the Q because they think it is superior, they also see that the Q is cheaper and think they are getting a good deal. In a direct swap, in a ported enclosure built for a Q, the BL and BTL would be louder 99% of the time. That is why we recommend a BL and BTL over the Q because they are made to be loud, they do not sound bad by any means, but they are designed to generate more sound pressure.

/rant :lol:

have to take some first

have to take some first

already have all the subs laying around and am only missing line driver amp,this may be a dumb question but i kind of figured that with the 9887's ktx-100eq's time alignment should help that right

No, the T/A will only help with 1 driver and location not multiple. It will be all sorts of fail if you try to implement what you propose to do. You really should sell all of your subs and start fresh, this time buying a sub that is actually going to deliver what you want instead of buying what you think you want. The easiest way to figure that out is to ask with a lot of detail.

No one here is down on the Q. Just don't understand why some people gravitate towards it when all they want is loud. 99% of the people that ask about the Q here are completely misinformed and think that the music they listen to has notes down to 20Hz and that the real lows are what makes things loud. After getting details from them it is obvious there are much better choices in drivers than the Q for them. In application the Q is a great driver, out of application it is a waste of money as it could have been spent getting what the owner actually wanted instead.

But the new Q has a toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon of new options :)

With a 512 band eq adjusting db levels at 512 points you would think this would take care of more than you could audibly hear ,your right though the ta wouldn't align multiple subwoofers at there overlap , Im going to drop the dd's, I guess nobody has an enclosure recommendation for the q 18's ?Thanks for your opinions and patience

But the new Q has a toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon of new options :)

That can probably make a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference. None of us here have experience with it though.

With a 512 band eq adjusting db levels at 512 points you would think this would take care of more than you could audibly hear ,your right though the ta wouldn't align multiple subwoofers at there overlap , Im going to drop the dd's, I guess nobody has an enclosure recommendation for the q 18's ?Thanks for your opinions and patience

Huh? The 9887 has ONE sub crossover, ONE sub t/a, VERY limited crossover frequencies and a FIVE band eq (not 512 lol). It won't help at all. Good that you are realizing you should drop them.

Huh? The 9887 has ONE sub crossover, ONE sub t/a, VERY limited crossover frequencies and a FIVE band eq (not 512 lol). It won't help at all. Good that you are realizing you should drop them.

The Sonic Magic Of MultEQ®

The car interior is an acoustical challenge. Interior surfaces reflect sound while other surfaces reflect sound while other surfaces absorb it. IMPRINT sound overcomes the car's inherent acoustical challenges, improving the sound stage, tonal balance and definition.

MultEQ solves all this by using more than 500 control points along the frequency spectrum. This optimizes the sound reproduction to the specific vehicle listening environment with much greater precision that has been acheived up to now - reproducing the music as it was meant to be heard throughout the car.

No one here is down on the Q. Just don't understand why some people gravitate towards it when all they want is loud. 99% of the people that ask about the Q here are completely misinformed and think that the music they listen to has notes down to 20Hz and that the real lows are what makes things loud. After getting details from them it is obvious there are much better choices in drivers than the Q for them. In application the Q is a great driver, out of application it is a waste of money as it could have been spent getting what the owner actually wanted instead.

It's just that I've noticed as soon as someone mentions the word loud, you automatically discourage buying the Q. In reality, it can get damn loud. Most likely louder then what most people who are looking to upgrade to it have. I'm only saying this because I've been in that position before too. When I was looking for a new sub, I really liked the Q. I read all reviews about it and everything that was said sounded like what I wanted. But there were people telling me to get the BL instead because I asked how much louder it would be then what I had. In the end, I love my Q. I'm just saying, it seems like people here are just quick to dismiss it as an option for most people.

It's just that I've noticed as soon as someone mentions the word loud, you automatically discourage buying the Q. In reality, it can get damn loud. Most likely louder then what most people who are looking to upgrade to it have. I'm only saying this because I've been in that position before too. When I was looking for a new sub, I really liked the Q. I read all reviews about it and everything that was said sounded like what I wanted. But there were people telling me to get the BL instead because I asked how much louder it would be then what I had. In the end, I love my Q. I'm just saying, it seems like people here are just quick to dismiss it as an option for most people.

Because the BL is a better option for loud.

And you may like your Q, but if you compared I'd bet you'd prefer the BL. You are exactly why we have to point that out. It isn't that the Q is loud, but 99% of people that look at the Q want the loudest possible and get confused by the lows. Best for them really isn't the Q.

The Sonic Magic Of MultEQ®

The car interior is an acoustical challenge. Interior surfaces reflect sound while other surfaces reflect sound while other surfaces absorb it. IMPRINT sound overcomes the car's inherent acoustical challenges, improving the sound stage, tonal balance and definition.

MultEQ solves all this by using more than 500 control points along the frequency spectrum. This optimizes the sound reproduction to the specific vehicle listening environment with much greater precision that has been acheived up to now - reproducing the music as it was meant to be heard throughout the car.

I've never heard a setup using Imprint that sounded better with it on...