Larams

Headunit choices.

Just curious what head unit some of you are using. I've been using a Kenwood kdc-x791 for the last year and I hate it. It sounds good but the screen is horrible in daytime and the interface is the worst I've ever seen.

Anyone have a good suggestion in the $300-$400 range? I mostly play mp3 so that feature is a must.

I'm about to order Pioneer DEH-P6100BT it's in the price I want, has front USB that I want, Bluetooth that I want but supposedly worst interface ever. I'm aware of that but once u get those first settings taken care of the it's just occasional changes in settings. I guess there's a downside to everything unless u pay good bucks. I was aware that Pioneer makes awsome HU's since I sat in my first car, and that hasen't changed for last 10 years, so I'll give my business to Pioneer. Brands I do not trust with HU's are Sony, JVC and maybe Kenwood, this is just my preference, they might be awsome but it's just something about those companies that doesn't sit right with me.

I also always heard good reviews about Alpine and Clarion.

Someone should move this to the headunit section.

For your question just search around and find one that fits in your price range and has your features. Pioneer and Alpines both are known for having great headunits and with a budget that high you can buy many of their higher end ones. Search a little and come back with a few you found that are what you want to look at buying and we can help you out a little better.

Edited by Miller

I have the KDC-x791 and i like it for the most part. the screen isnt that bad, but it may be cause my windows are tinted. the interface could have been a lot better. some of the settings are a pain to get to.

I was looking at the eclipse mkII 7200 but it says 8v preout, is that to much for Sundown 1200 and a 100.2? The next one I like is the Alpine but it seems like you have to buy so many addons to get features that come with many other brands. Pioneer was on the list until I read about the interface not being to good and I just came from a unit with a crappy interface so I'm a little wary of the pioneers. Although that prs880 looks nice enough to forgive the interface short comings.

8 volts is not too much for a Sundown Amp, it will require you not to turn your gain up as high to set it.

Alpine or eclipse are great for SQ, I wouldn't go with that 6100, put a 4100 in my friends truck and it was a huge SQ step down from his previous alpine. And the MKII would be fine, you will never see 8V, only on a pure high frequency test tone at full volume of the deck. It is crazy hard to use though, it is definately not the most user friendly.

8v is completely useless and a marketing gimic.

Alpine, Eclipse, and Pioneer are the only choices IMO. Depending on application one could be better than the other. Personally I like the Alpines the least out of that group, but that is based on processing as I need no other features.

I traded a friend my Sundown SAZ-1500D for his Eclipse CD-7200 MKII and I love it. Great sound, great processing and great features. To bad they have left the 12 volt North American aftermarket. :(

I traded a friend my Sundown SAZ-1500D for his Eclipse CD-7200 MKII and I love it. Great sound, great processing and great features. To bad they have left the aftermarket 12 volt market. :(

12v aftermarket you mean

Yes exactly..... My bad! Needed my caffeine fix!

Fixed!