ssh

Upfiring enclosure w/ top

Okay so i'm planning on having a box built for 2 12"s and having the subs face the roof (see pic)

hmmmbw.jpg

I'm wondering if I have a top piece of wood above the subs, how that would affect the sound? The top piece of wood would be above the subs by a couple inches. This would allow me to put stuff on my box for storage (ex: my backpack...)

Does this make sense?

Okay so i'm planning on having a box built for 2 12"s and having the subs face the roof (see pic)

hmmmbw.jpg

I'm wondering if I have a top piece of wood above the subs, how that would affect the sound? The top piece of wood would be above the subs by a couple inches. This would allow me to put stuff on my box for storage (ex: my backpack...)

Does this make sense?

A couple inches? As in 2? Not enough room. I think that can cause the sound waves to cancel each other out.

it would also cause a problem with the subwoofers unloading.

how much space would it need to not cancel out and not have unloading problems?

I guess it works with down-firing enclosures, the floor acting kind of like the top you are talking about... I wonder if it is o.k. to do this...

I guess it works with down-firing enclosures, the floor acting kind of like the top you are talking about... I wonder if it is o.k. to do this...

This was my initial thought too........ What would be the difference? I only ask because I have a very similar setup that I thought about doing the same thing to.

It won't be a problem as long as you have enough space, say you have a 4" wide port, the distance from the top piece needs to be 4" as well.

A couple inches? As in 2? Not enough room. I think that can cause the sound waves to cancel each other out.

Too small of a distance for actual cancellation to occur.

But as others have mentioned, leave enough room as to not adversely affect sub/port loading.

Wouldn't this be similiar to a bandpass or tunnel style box. Sorry I don't know proper terminology.

Wouldn't this be similiar to a bandpass or tunnel style box. Sorry I don't know proper terminology.

It's almost a bandpass, not quite though :)