BanginGMC

Custom door panels for my GMC Sonoma!

They have shallow components nowadays, check those out if you feel 4 sets are necessary. If you really want a wow factor and want to be loud then go for horns, I used to be wowed by a lot of speakers but when you can shut down a car with 8-15 interior speakers and you only have four (feels damn good and is an even better wow factor).

I will in the summer, thats when im getting 4 sets. Can you mix interior speakers with horns?

I cut the flat peice that shapes the bottom of the panel out of 1/4" ply. Then I cut the oval ring out of 3/4" MDF. I used a 5" hole saw to cut out the sheetmetal behind the door panel. Then I put it all together. That was 2 mach5 audio 6.5" running off of a ZX300. It got nice and loud and sounded good doing it too.

I cut the flat peice that shapes the bottom of the panel out of 1/4" ply. Then I cut the oval ring out of 3/4" MDF. I used a 5" hole saw to cut out the sheetmetal behind the door panel. Then I put it all together. That was 2 mach5 audio 6.5" running off of a ZX300. It got nice and loud and sounded good doing it too.

You cut the sheet metal so the speaker has a hole to go into, thats what your talking about right?

How'd you connect the pieces?

Edited by BanginGMC

Yup, so the speakers could fit and not stick out so far. Just roll your window down all the way first to make sure they will clear without hitting.

I screwed the door panel to the door first using flathead self tappers because as I mentioned it'll get heavy and those plastic things wont hold. Then I screwed the wooden panels to the door panels.

you could always just go to walmart or somewhere that sells round plastic dog bowls that the bottom of the bowl would fit the speaker inside if cut out. and do something with those, i did something like that on a guys ride but after i mounted the bowls i fiberglassed them in so i had three very equal pods just a idea.

you could always just go to walmart or somewhere that sells round plastic dog bowls that the bottom of the bowl would fit the speaker inside if cut out. and do something with those, i did something like that on a guys ride but after i mounted the bowls i fiberglassed them in so i had three very equal pods just a idea.

So pretty much like this:

601414.jpg

Put the bowl upside down against the wood, glue the edge of the bowl to the wood then cut a circle out of the backside of the wood so the bowl isn't sealed off against the wood then, put mat, resin, dry, sand, mat, resin, dry, sand, body filler, dry, sand primer, dry, primer, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, done?

but with a dog bowl.. wouldn't it effect the sound waves? Do 6.5s really need a specific amount of air like a 12inch sub does, or would it sound good in any decent size encloser?

Yup, so the speakers could fit and not stick out so far. Just roll your window down all the way first to make sure they will clear without hitting.

I screwed the door panel to the door first using flathead self tappers because as I mentioned it'll get heavy and those plastic things wont hold. Then I screwed the wooden panels to the door panels.

Tomorrow i'm going to home depot to get some wood and other supplies to try to reenact what you did.

Also going to try the dog bowl thing, i have to see what will look better.

Good luck man!

in theory your picture is what i am talking about but if done right will give a very decent curve to your panel. 6.5 really don't need a enclosure in average cases. bass response will be affect by varying degrees of space but that is all in how you set up your system to begin with. the dog bowl thing is a easy way of doing something to make it look like it took alot longer to make. ha!

Well today i wasn't able to get to home depot.. BUT tomorrow i should have time!

6.5 really don't need a enclosure in average cases

That is rather misleading. Yes they would benefit from an enclosure and yes they will be MORE picky than a subwoofer in its size. The alternative of course is to mount them IB which nearly all car audio woofers are designed for. Closing off the back will normally make these sort of drivers sound significantly worse and cramp their output.