MKader17

Tweeter Problem

Background info

02 Silverado

Active 2-way (Seas Prestige ER18RNX Woofers, Seas Prestige 27TDFC)

Tweeters Crossed @ 2500Hz with 12db slope Set @ -7db (Gains set based on voltage)

Pioneer HUH701 Processor

I'm having a tweeter problem. I blew my tweeter and thought it was just faulty (the right tweeter is still going strong). Madisound fixed it for free but said it was trashed (voice coil) and nicely said it wouldn't be free again. Put in the new one and played fine for a week. One day this weird sound started coming from the right speakers (sounded like a bad ground, popping and such) and then all of a sudden, left tweeter gone again. i had heard that sound before but thought it really was from a bad ground, but since this tweeter has popped I haven't heard it again.

So now I'm at a loss. the right speakers make noises and the left tweeter blows. I have the tweets turned down -7db (not to mention the amp gains are set less than half) they are 6 ohm drivers. Could something be wrong with the amp? or maybe in my wiring from amp to speaker? My speaker wire is underground cable with and extra jacket around the wire (still 1/4 price of any fancy speaker wire), and I really don't see it getting screwed up...

What type of listening levels does this occur at? Are you rockin' out when the problems happen, or "normal" listening levels? Do they sound strained when you're listening to them or does the problem seem to just "appear"? What amplifier are you using? Are any EQ bands around or under the crossover frequency boosted?

That tweeter should be okay with a 2500hz crossover point w/ 12db slope, so I wouldn't think that's the problem unless you are simply overpowering them. My initial guess would be that it's an amplifier problem if the EQ use is under control and it's happening at reasonable listening levels without sounding strained. Are the terminals of the tweeters mounted near any metal that they could possibly be touching and shorting out against?

The noise you hear in the right tweet could be induced by the left shorting out.

Weird that is it only happening to the one side.

I'd buy some throw-away tweets and use them as test mules to see if they have issues. I'd ever switch channels to see if the right one goes bad.

What type of listening levels does this occur at? Are you rockin' out when the problems happen, or "normal" listening levels? Do they sound strained when you're listening to them or does the problem seem to just "appear"? What amplifier are you using? Are any EQ bands around or under the crossover frequency boosted?

That tweeter should be okay with a 2500hz crossover point w/ 12db slope, so I wouldn't think that's the problem unless you are simply overpowering them. My initial guess would be that it's an amplifier problem if the EQ use is under control and it's happening at reasonable listening levels without sounding strained. Are the terminals of the tweeters mounted near any metal that they could possibly be touching and shorting out against?

It occurred at normal listening levels, no rocking out. Tweeters do not sound strained at all. EQ is flat all the way. Don't believe there is anything interfering with the tweeter mounting

Try a different amplifier

it's been a long time but i finally just got time to get back around to the problem. I wish I could try a different amp but I really don't have another and don't know what I could "test"

Today I hooked up another tweeter (a cheap Dayton tweet) and it sounded fine. I played around with the crossover just to do it, and I realized I REALLY don't have an ear for tuning. It's hard for me to tell if a tweeter sounds strained or when adjusting my mids, when setting the crossover high pass is high enough, etc... But as far as I could tell the tweeter sounds fine.

Is there any way I could test my amp?

Also, what would happen if an exposed area of the negative and positive speaker wires touch with the tweeter connected?

Your amp wouldn't like the touching, that's for sure.

As for what to try. Since you have a throw away in there strain it. Grab some cd you are familiar with and use normal listening levels and keep reducing the crossover point until it sounds funky to you. Before adjusting turn the volume all the way down and then back up. It usually helps to listen to just the tweeters and not all the drivers. Don't do this to destruction levels, just use it to familiarize yourself with stress.

Its possible that some sort of vibration is causing your amplifier to do funny things. I would also drive around listening to just the throw away tweets with nothing else. Perhaps at lower levels and lower cross points so you can listen to see if anything on the road creates some stress in them. If it is really tiresome to your ears to just listen to your tweets you could have your mids playing, but turn their levels way down so the tweeters dominate to make it easier for you.

I too think its your amp, but perhaps it isn't a problem when sitting still.

So I threw in the Dayton tweets and listened to them for a long time. They worked great (except for they didn't sound as good). One day I noticed things sounded different. Faded to the left and the tweeter was no longer working...

No warning, no hissing, nothing. just doesn't work anymore...

I'm really at a loss on what to do.

You have a signal issue whether it be amp, RCA, or HU.

That's what I'm thinking...

Measure the DC offset of the amp. Simply put the DMM to measure DC and check the amp terminals.

Went and checked the DC offset.

Ch1 : 0.023

Ch2 : -0.017

Ch1 (using Negative as ground) : 0.356

Ch2 (using Negative as ground) : 0.356

Have no idea what that means. I do know that my Ch2 is actually not getting signal from the processor (well, its getting -13 db signal) I also know I tested both channels at different volumes and it didn't change (or not big enough to notice)

Looks like I found my problem.

I switched the tweeter wires around so the left was playing on the right and when I got in my truck I immediately heard a hissing and popping sound from the tweet. I turned the HU off and it continues until the amp powers down. I drove around and periodically turned on the radio and every time I heard it. I switched between AUX, CD and Tuner and it was the same. When I stopped again I switched the RCA inputs and still heard it. Keep in mind that when I switched the RCA inputs the new RCA did not even have signal going to it (turned off at the processor). I switched the wiring for the channels again and the problem is gone.

So now I am 99.9% sure it is the amp. I will be contacting DB-R electronics as they have done work on this amp before. I think when I first got it one of the channels didn't work. So hopefully I'll be getting this fixed before the holidays and getting my good tweets back in the truck!