Outbacksound

DD 9518 daily driver?

Would a DD 9518 on a RF T15001-bd be ok as a daily driver? Don't care much about SQ, just wondering if this sub can take hours of daily pounding. And also, off topic but is port area separate from internal box volume?

that's 2times a yes .

if you look around here some you will find quality products that will achieve the same or better for less , just saying :peepwall:

port volume is seperate from box volume ,

Thanks. I'll take a look around. Another thing is that I have subs facing up right now, and if I'm going to have such a big sub/box, I would want it to face up so my rolling cover can hide it. Are there negatives to having subs face up, like cone sag or something?

Up at the top click the store button and look for it. Pricing info will be there. Please search, and once you have search asking a research question will yield you better answers.

Sorry about asking without looking. The Xcon 18 is really affordable, but will it be able to take 1836 watts, even though it's rated for 1750? 1836 is what came on the birth sheet for my T15001-bd at 1 ohm. And I still would like to know if facing subs up has consequences. Thanks

No consequences in facing the subs up. Suspensions are stiff enough to not worry about sagging.

If you are careful and listen to what the sub tells you, the Xcon should be ok with the RF 1500. In a real-world application you are never going to see such power actually applied to the sub. Mostly because of musical content and because of the impedance function.

There are a number of people running well over rms power of the xcon. As mentioned above by adrian in a daily driver install, music is dynamic so the speaker will rarely see anything close to full power from that amplifier. So power handeling is not an issue. The issue here is that when installed in properly built to manufacturer suggested enclosures, there will be different results. If all you care about is sheer output and money is not a factor, get the DD. If you want to spend less money, have superior low frequency response and customer service, the Xcon is the clear choice. In other words, clarity/sq/value/ great customer service or just high output. Should help clear up the choice.

Sorry about asking without looking. The Xcon 18 is really affordable, but will it be able to take 1836 watts, even though it's rated for 1750? 1836 is what came on the birth sheet for my T15001-bd at 1 ohm. And I still would like to know if facing subs up has consequences. Thanks

Mechanically, are no negatives to facing the sub up, it depends on what kind of room you have to work with. What kind of car will it be going in?

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

It's going in a station wagon (for now). Building a new box is not a problem when I get a different car. The xcon sounds like the smarter choice for sure, after all I don't need to go deaf from innacurate, sloppy, high priced bass. Would the sub see close to full power on a burp?

That will depend on how you build the box, what signal you burp, and of course how you adjust the signal path. Can it take that for a burp, sure, probably way more again depending on the above.

Copper coil AQ HDC would do the job and take that amp all day long with proper electrical in the right enclosure. Most of the Team DOA guys run AQ/DD subs and we all have daily drivers, so the subs get abused constantly...

No experience with the xcon, but it looks like a solidly built sub. DD is a nice sub, but for your goals you don't need to spend that much and don't have the power to get the full potential out of it.

Crutchfield has a sale on type r 12's, only 110 a piece. Would four of those on 1250 rms be a better system than one fully powered 18 like the dd 9518 or xcon 18?

Crutchfield has a sale on type r 12's, only 110 a piece. Would four of those on 1250 rms be a better system than one fully powered 18 like the dd 9518 or xcon 18?

All those subs were made with different goals in mind, stop doing sub comparisons it wont get you anywhere. State your goals, install application, etc.for how you want your next sub stage to be then go from there.

My object is to go loud, but not sacrifice ALL sq. So technically four 12's at 18 mm xmax will push more air than one 18 with 31 mm. But I hear that there is no sq with the type r's. Anyone like type r's?

My object is to go loud, but not sacrifice ALL sq. So technically four 12's at 18 mm xmax will push more air than one 18 with 31 mm. But I hear that there is no sq with the type r's. Anyone like type r's?

My 2 12" Alpine Type R's got loud with my PDX1000 and stock electrical w/o Big 3

EDIT: I usually play my volume at 26.

Edited by BanginGMC

Judging by your experience level I want to ask who will be doing the install, and setting the amp gains?

Either way going off your questions I'd go with type-rs. They'll sound fine and get decently loud- and 4 will give you more cone area than 1 18. Also you'll probably have less likely hood of clipping all 4 to death if you don't set things up right.

I'm allright doing the install. I've gone through 3 systems, just changing them out because I wanted to go louder. I don have an oscilloscope so I turn the headunit up to almost max, and turn the gain up until distortion, then back it off. My only question left in 12's vs. an 18 is which is pronounce lows better? At this point I'm almost over loud only, and to hear deep, thundering lows would be nice.

The box best design for the lows notes that your seeking will get the job done and not the size of the subwoofer.

Lots of people like the type R's. IMO there's better stuff around here for the money, but for something you can get at a big box store they're a good value.

I've owned some X-con 18's (sold them before I got to play with them). They are pretty formidable and looked/felt well built. I wouldn't hesitate to run 2000W to them...then again you need to pay attention to bottoming out and funny burning smells.

A single good 18 in a well built box will do all you want. Sub up is fine in SUV or wagon.

Less better drivers is generally better than more poor drivers IMO.

I had a pair of 15 in type r's and they hit stoopid loud on 1000 watts each

Well now I'm wondering if I should build a ported box for my current 1252w's and use the infrasonic filter on my amp to help protect them. I'll lose some sq, but I'd have big lows and lord knows it'll be louder. The type r's are almost half off on crutchfield, which is why I'm even considering them.

Try to read some more here. You will have more ideas of what you can do.

Look at the build logs and the 3 different sub forums for the customs shops(Audibel, PTS, Fisher customs).

I would not go for 4 type r's.

(I love my Xcon):) :)