Sammy Sandbag

Sub suggestions

Hey guys, glad I found this place. I'm finishing up an install in my Nissan Titan and I've run into a wall. I've got all the comps, amps, HU, changer, everything except for my subs installed. Problem is my mounting depth restrictions. I have already gone through two RF 8"s (didn't like the sound), a cheap Infinity 10" (not enough) and now I have two Infinity 10VQ's sitting in my living room because their 6.5" mounting depth is going to be nearly impossible to squeeze under the rear seat and still manage enough air space.

So I was recommended the SS RL-i 10" by a friend. Its mounting depth should work fine, but I wanted to ask you guys if it will suit my needs. I'm not into HUGE spl, but I want a good mix of SQ and bass when I want it. The amp I have for driving the subs is an Infinity 1210A, which according to their specs puts out 854w rms at 4 ohm and 1300w rms at 2 ohm.

Judging by the last two boxes I made, I figure I can fit around .75 cu ft per sub in a sealed enclosure. I've never made a ported box, and not sure where to start.

So what do yall suggest? Would these RL's be a good choice for my application, what kind of impedence/coil/wiring, and what kind of enclosure should I go with?

Thanks in advance,

Sammy

1st off..

Greetings.

Im shure the RL-i will suit your needs. Not to mention the super awseome customer service they offer.

I think they are all dual 4ohm.

Choose whatever enclosure you can fit. Obviously you are tight on space.

1st off..

Greetings.

Im shure the RL-i will suit your needs. Not to mention the super awseome customer service they offer.

I think they are all dual 4ohm.

Choose whatever enclosure you can fit. Obviously you are tight on space.

Thanks for the greeting, I was told that they offer 2ohm DVC through special orders. I guess the bigger question would be, do I even need it considering my amp setup?

Another thing I should have mentioned is that I plan to downfire these, what kind of distance should I plan for between the sub and floor? Also, how much space between the bottom of the sub and enclosure?

Thanks again.

I dont think Mike ( Owner of SS) will do custom made subs.

No idea about the downfiring, i dont have a truck

sammy...welcome!!

ok, the rl-i's would work great off the 850 or so @ 4ohm, especially in about .75ft^3 each. also, they only come in the dual 4 config to keep costs down. mike did a GB of d2 rl-ps, but i'm not for sure that will happen for the rl-i's has they were never offered with the dual 2 coils.

as to the downfiring, ur going to need about 1"-1.5" between sub face and floor. that should allow enough for excursion. if u can allow more, that would be good, but 1.5" would be what i would shot for minimum.

as to how close the sub can be to the back of the box, 1/2" should be plenty. u want to make sure the vent has enough room, and IME 1/2" is more then enough, even though i've had to build as close as 1/4". but 1/2" would be my goal.

also, the rl-i is a great, musical sub, and in .75ft^3 sealed would be awesome. it might not be the loudest thing on the planet, but it should definitely let ya know it's there.. :foshizzle:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

what they said^ plus make it sealed....no stinking ports!

but you could try just 1 sub in all the space you can get?(maybe the rl-p 12) if you can squeeze it in? i like single sub set ups, if your careful with your gains you will be fine with the rli ifyoucan get the rl-p in there you could use your gains with impunity!.

Thanks for the replies guys.

60ndown, sorry but there's no way I could squeeze an RL-p 12 in there, it has a mounting depth of 6.91", even bigger than my Infinity VQ's.

mrray13, you're saying that 850w at 4ohm should be enough for two of those RL-i10's, so around 425w per sub? I just want to make sure, as my last sub was powered of a bridged 2-channel sub, and I'm not all that familiar with mono sub amps.

Another question yall might be able to help me with. The Infinity 1210A is a mono sub amp, but it has two sets of speaker outputs. The manual is kinda crappy and just states if you are using one sub to wire it to the left output, which is how I wired my amp rack. The manual doesn't go into how wiring should be setup with multiple subs, especially ones with DVC and how to wire them for a desired load. I'm guessing I'd wire them like is show here in wiring option #2, and continue to have them wired to only the left set of speaker outputs?

Another option would be to go with the RL-i8 and have two forward firing, which is what I had done with my Rockford Fosgate 8"s. But it seems like it'd be better to go with the 10's as long as I can manage enough space underneath and above them under the seats. What do you think?

Thanks again,

Sammy

Here's a pic of my amp rack:

post-898-1122227552_thumb.jpg

It has two sets of outputs, but they will be bridged internally, so if you are running two subs, you wire each sub to an output.

You will have to wait until the fall before anymore RL-i 8" subs are made, Mike is in the process of re-tooling right now.

It has two sets of outputs, but they will be bridged internally, so if you are running two subs, you wire each sub to an output.

You will have to wait until the fall before anymore RL-i 8" subs are made, Mike is in the process of re-tooling right now.

Hmmm, so am I not getting the full power off of one of those outputs? The manual says to just wire off of one output for a single sub, seems like that would give me the full power despite what kinda setup I have connected to those wires. Because if I'm wiring two of these RL-i10's for a 4ohm load, then they would be wired together and only need one wire going to them.

Nope...

Ok, the two outputs are internally bridged otherwise known as internally paralleled. They have the same signal going to them.

So... if you hook up one dual 4 ohm sub (wired in series) to the left output, and another 4 ohm sub (wired in series) to the right output, the amp will see a 4 ohm load. In your case, the amp puts out 850W into 4 ohms, and therefore, each sub will have 425W available to them.

Nope...

Ok, the two outputs are internally bridged otherwise known as internally paralleled. They have the same signal going to them.

So... if you hook up one dual 4 ohm sub (wired in series) to the left output, and another 4 ohm sub (wired in series) to the right output, the amp will see a 4 ohm load. In your case, the amp puts out 850W into 4 ohms, and therefore, each sub will have 425W available to them.

I'm getting a bit confused, so bear with me. If you wire a single DVC 4ohm sub, you can only see a 8 or 2ohm load right? Like this:

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

So if I wired two subs up that way and connected each to it's own output on the amp I could see a 2ohm load or would it be 4ohm at that point? That's where I'm getting confused, because to wire a 4ohm load you'd have to do this correct:

2_4ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

The problem is that I have already installed my amp rack and have only one wire running to one of the speaker outputs on the mono amp.

Thanks for your help again.

8/2 = 4ohms.

You don't only need to use the left output, that is all I am saying, you can run both subs like picture #2, but it is more of a wiring headache.

8/2 = 4ohms.

You don't only need to use the left output, that is all I am saying, you can run both subs like picture #2, but it is more of a wiring headache.

Yeah, but the way I have my rack setup, it would be easier if I can just use the one wire I already have coming from my amp. I can do all the wiring within the enclosure. I just want to make sure it'll work that way, unless of course there's some way to wire this up to get a 2ohm load for more power but I don't see how that would be possible.

Thanks again,

Sammy

welcome, and I think the RL-i will preform up to your needs

and the rl-i's will be right in their sweet spot with the 850 going to the pair!

teh rack looks good, btw...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have 1 RL-i 10 downfiring in between the two front seats in my dodge. The box is ~.8 cubic ft after displacements, I added enough polyfil to get it closer to 1 cubic ft. It sounds excellent, and plays really low for a 10. It also has plenty of output for my purposes and desires. A pair would be really nice.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm set on these subs. I'm sure I'll be back when it comes time build the enclosure and wire them. Thanks again.

Okay, dumb question perhaps, but I'm a little confused with the purchase process on SS's site. I ordered the two RL's, but it never asked for any shipping options nor any billing info (ie credit card or pay pal info.) All I got was an email? How exactly do they operate their online sales?

BTW, I already shot them an email using their online form, but I figured I'd ask yall as well.

Thanks,

Sammy

Okay, dumb question perhaps, but I'm a little confused with the purchase process on SS's site.  I ordered the two RL's, but it never asked for any shipping options nor any billing info (ie credit card or pay pal info.)  All I got was an email?  How exactly do they operate their online sales?

BTW, I already shot them an email using their online form, but I figured I'd ask yall as well.

Thanks,

Sammy

just email Mike and he will give you payment options

email him and he'll send one back, usually fairly quickly

mike@soundsplinter.com <--- the man's email addy..

congrats on ur purchase bro!! u won't be dissapointed!

mike@soundsplinter.com  <--- the man's email addy..

congrats on ur purchase bro!! u won't be dissapointed!

Thanks, I got a reply from Mike this morning. I have to say this is by far the best customer service, or at least the most personal service I've received from an electronics company. So just out of curiosity, who exactly is Mike?

Thanks again,

Sammy