kryptonitewhite

colapsed expanding foam? PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys, I am asking for as much input here as I can get. I have everything I need...it's sunny outside..but I am at a hault. OK, I take it back... my HO alt from Iraggi was attempt delivery so i cant pick it up till tomorrow, my 4 AP30001D's should be here any day, my 50 foot spool of 0 gauge, a 40 pack of 0 gauge terminal rings...and Kicker should be shipping back two 4 channels soon as well. Otherwise, i have the van, I have the subs, I have the 3rd 4 channel, 3 AGM batteries..same as Deka Intimidator..I got lots of wood... 2"x6"x8' boards for bracing... gonna make X's inside of squares..should be solid. I have several sheets of 4'x8'x3/4" MDF... I have 4 Extremis 6.4's, 2 CSS FR125Ss, 2 Vifa XT25TG30 tweets... I have an Alpine IVA-W505 DVD player and the badass PXA-H701 crossover...

But I have collapsed foam. I can't do anything. I need to figure this out! I didn't go all crazy and make a 2x4 frame in the van, I gutted it out, cut out some MDF to fit, dropped a couple screws in, poured on the PL PRO, let it cure, then taped it off drilled some holes and started pouring in the foam.

On the 1st side I blacked out the windows, and, the process was slower as I was getting going on the foam...so I put it in in several layers spread out over time. IDK if it suffers the same prob, I cant see.

The 2nd side I didnt black out the windows, and I dropped in over 40 cans over 2 days... I piled it up quick. It looked good for a few days through the window..then one day...gone. It all liquified and sank. There is no pulling the MDF back out...this foam is strong as it is, but when it liquifies and gets gooey... not a chance. I want to put more back in but slower...let each can cure before putting in another. But will it get air? Do I need to cut holes? That will weaken the wood.

CIMG0783.jpg

CIMG0784.jpg

CIMG0785.jpg

CIMG0786.jpg

CIMG0787.jpg

CIMG0788.jpg

CIMG0789.jpg

CIMG0790.jpg

CIMG0791.jpg

CIMG0792.jpg

CIMG0793.jpg

CIMG0794.jpg

thats the good stuff..outside edges where it got air

now for the bad

it is hard to tell, but thats almost all hollow.. it looks like it is there because the outter edge stuck to the windows, but if u look close, it is hollow with a streak here and there where a new layer was on top of an old layer that started to cure

CIMG0795.jpg

CIMG0796.jpg

CIMG0797.jpg

CIMG0798.jpg

CIMG0799.jpg

CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0801.jpg

CIMG0802.jpg

im thinking it might have cured on the outside but not the inside kinda like backing a cake with the temp to high (burnt the outside but the inside is still doughy...)

not sure what to do here but maybe you could drill holes in on the sides to let air get back there.. ( if that fails you can fill the holes back in i guess)

i've never worked with so much of this at one time... probably best to let it cure as you go..

or maybe since theres so much it will take afew days to cure lol.. or weeks..

im thinking it might have cured on the outside but not the inside kinda like backing a cake with the temp to high (burnt the outside but the inside is still doughy...)

not sure what to do here but maybe you could drill holes in on the sides to let air get back there.. ( if that fails you can fill the holes back in i guess)

i've never worked with so much of this at one time... probably best to let it cure as you go..

I think you are right. So let the stuff dry/cure another day or 2 then do it again, but slowly?

or maybe since theres so much it will take afew days to cure lol.. or weeks..

well it's all probably at the bottom now in a thick solid goo... if it cures, its not filling the void

from another forum:

Fill it with concrete! :P

dude IDK if ure kidding or not, but I am considering it now... I dont want the added weight, but hell... if that is what it takes..

Depending on your weather conditions and such it will affect how it cures, you should just awhile (give it a few more days since you used so much). I noticed when I first used this stuff last year in the summer, cured in no time. When I last used this stuff about a month ago, it took longer to cure but it did eventually.

Depending on your weather conditions and such it will affect how it cures, you should just awhile (give it a few more days since you used so much). I noticed when I first used this stuff last year in the summer, cured in no time. When I last used this stuff about a month ago, it took longer to cure but it did eventually.

youre right! it was cold when I did the 2nd side, I did run the van a while to heat it up insid once in a while..I went out and looked again and it looks like there are layers...giant cells.. that cured, theres just giant voids/pockets that I can go back in and fill if I drill holes

If you need air couldn't you just bust the window? -- i might be thinking too ghetto...

you can cut out the window. no need to smash it. but op didn't like my idea so i'll just stop there

you can cut out the window. no need to smash it. but op didn't like my idea so i'll just stop there

But smashing it would be so much more fun. :fing34:

I know that spraing expanding foam with water will drastically speed up the curing process....

:peepwall:

If you need air couldn't you just bust the window? -- i might be thinking too ghetto...

lol I have been thinkin all along "if a window breaks, what am I gonna do?" and the plan was...peel the glass off and I'll have a perfect foam surface to fiberglass.... um...

use 2 part urethane foam.. or if you are gonna use that spray shit you're gonna have to take the window out of the van. regardless what you do you are going to have to scrape all of that shit out

Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

i cant just pull it back out. there are over 70 cans of that shit concentrated... good luck. and if I cant get it out, then I cant get 2 part mix first in..thats y i use great stuff, cuz i just need a tiny hole to stick the hose in man!

Dude, next time you spray that stuff, do it a little at a time. Spray a can, then let it solidify a little. Then spray over what is solidified. The reason it didn't cure is because it isn't being exposed to oxygen. I'm not hating or anything, I made the same mistake with my wall :(

I know that spraing expanding foam with water will drastically speed up the curing process....

:peepwall:

and what doesnt get used will pool on MDF and foam and mold?

Dude, next time you spray that stuff, do it a little at a time. Spray a can, then let it solidify a little. Then spray over what is solidified. The reason it didn't cure is because it isn't being exposed to oxygen. I'm not hating or anything, I made the same mistake with my wall :(

you are right! thanks man, I think ill be ok.. ill drill and fill. but u nailed it!

Whenever I spay expanding foam in areas that are going to seal themselves off, I make sure to use the "high expanding hvac" foam. It's the same price and almost the same makeup, but it comes out a bit lighter and it seems to cure inside panels a ton bettter than the basic spray foam. I'm sure someone on here knows the difference between the two types, if I had a can left over I would check and see what it is.

Whenever I spay expanding foam in areas that are going to seal themselves off, I make sure to use the "high expanding hvac" foam. It's the same price and almost the same makeup, but it comes out a bit lighter and it seems to cure inside panels a ton bettter than the basic spray foam. I'm sure someone on here knows the difference between the two types, if I had a can left over I would check and see what it is.

right on thank you!

right on thank you!

Brian is right, I used this stuff from walmart called "big gap sealer" and it dried faster and expanded more than the red devil brand I used to use.

personally i would drill holes right in the side of the box, and respray through them.

and then if youa re bracing it up line the braces up w the holes that you drilled, that way you cover them up, and call it a day.

what happened was that it was too hot outside, no oxygen got to it before it cured, it melted from the heat, and sank.then it cured @ the bottom.