Sign in to follow this  
RaTtLz

box sizes

hi everyone, I'm posting yet another topic to see if I can get any more excellent advice. In a previous post I stated that I was gonna build my own box. I know I want a sealed box.

My goal is a real flat response.

In my literature for my subs (Phoenix Gold titanium elite) they list 2 different recommendations for sealed boxes they are as follows: {Musical: Vb 1.6, F3 33 Hz} {SPL: Vb 1.0, F3 36Hz}

My question to you guys is, Since I have 2 subs, What would be the outcome of making 1 box to musical specs and the other to the SPL spec.

The speaker placement will be under the rear deck lid with subs facing the rear of the car. Car being my Chrysler 300.

The box will be made of red oak.

Hope this enough info. Let me know if i need to add any more. Thanks

without actually knowing the subs personally and just by going off of sealed boxes in general-

The larger a sealed box, the more flat it can sound until it is put in a car as a car will have peaks in your response.

The smaller a sealed box, it will still have peaks regardless but a smaller sealed box will tend to peak in the upper frequency range.

the smaller sealed box may feel like it's pounding your chest harder so to say but you loose some of that low end feeling at the same time.

I would stick with their musical preference for music. You can always build the sealed box to 2 cuft net and see how that sounds.

Be careful though as to not bottom out your sub as the larger the sealed box, the less and less power it will want mechanically.

If the box were to be found to be too big, you can always add a couple to a few layers of wood inside to decrease volume.

without actually knowing the subs personally and just by going off of sealed boxes in general-

The larger a sealed box, the more flat it can sound until it is put in a car as a car will have peaks in your response.

The smaller a sealed box, it will still have peaks regardless but a smaller sealed box will tend to peak in the upper frequency range.

the smaller sealed box may feel like it's pounding your chest harder so to say but you loose some of that low end feeling at the same time.

I would stick with their musical preference for music. You can always build the sealed box to 2 cuft net and see how that sounds.

Be careful though as to not bottom out your sub as the larger the sealed box, the less and less power it will want mechanically.

If the box were to be found to be too big, you can always add a couple to a few layers of wood inside to decrease volume.

Ya thanks Shizzzon, I will be giving them about 1000 watts rms each which is also what PG recommends as a minimum. It's been 3 years since I've had boom in my ride. getting real close now woohoo!

like with all boxes i build.. visually watch the sub's movement on very low tunes to ensure that they do not bottom out before lettin it rip on music.

Use that subsonic filter if necessary even on a sealed box.

Crossovers on an amp shouldnt be set based on a rule of thumb but to prevent equipment failure then to set to your personal listening preference.

If u got access to test tones, that'd be the key to set the crossover right to whatever size box you build, even if it's their recommended size.

I've never heard or seen anyone making boxes out of Oak? Does it work well?

:popcorn::NeedPics: of that enclosure... Edited by Cablguy184

Ya thanks Shizzzon, I will be giving them about 1000 watts rms each which is also what PG recommends as a minimum.

You'll probably be buying new subs soon......

I would stick with the "Musical" recommendation. Especially if your after the "Flat" response.

I've never heard or seen anyone making boxes out of Oak? Does it work well?

I picked that wood for a couple of reasons. Because I am a first time builder, I want to make a box the most basic way I know how. That way is thick wood so I don't have to use bracing. I decided that a 1 inch 4x8 sheet of mdf is gonna be hard to come by. I started looking around and found some 1 inch hardwood boards that go up to 20 inches wide and up to 12 feet long. The widest part of my box is 18 inches. So..... adding up the linear inches, I can get all my wood for around $65. There was one other choice other than oak which was aspen (a little cheaper). Upon further googling, I found that oak was the more dense and more rigid.

Edit to add: There is still time to change things as I haven't bought the wood yet. I just thought around $65 was a good deal when people say they spend hundreds on boxes.

Ya thanks Shizzzon, I will be giving them about 1000 watts rms each which is also what PG recommends as a minimum.

You'll probably be buying new subs soon......

Why you tell me this? Can you elaborate please?

Edited by RaTtLz