Sign in to follow this  
Hansk

second battery wiring question??

ok o i know how to wire an second batt but my question is about the fusing part... this is what i was planning on doing and please somebody correct me if im wrong or if i need to add another fuseor fuses

+ from starter batt to + rear batt

- from start batt to - rear batt (thats all 0 gauge)

then + from rear batt with 0 gauge wire, fuse holder,and fuse to my sub amp

then + from rear batt with 4 gauge wire with 4 gauge fuse holder to my front stage speaker amp

that mean no fuse under the hood and no fuse b/w batts

would that be ok??

so you are asking if it is okay to NOT fuse under the hood and or near the rear battery?

and you do relize the purpose of fusing right? to prevent your car from buring down and to prevent the insurcance company from saying it was your fault and rejecting your claim!!

fusing is for safetly normally fuse between both batteries within 12inch-18inch of each battery and the fuse size to use is the the wires limits so if you buy wiring rated for 250amps you fuse at 250amps!

and some ppl don't like to fuse FUSED amps!

there will be to fuses there just after the rear abtt and nothing before that

what im saying is will that be ok while i get 2 more fuses for b/w the batts

o you mean you intend to fuse the batteries!

as long as you plan to fuse them. YES but keep in mind it is unsafe!

yes im planning on fusing b/w the two batt i just dont have the fuses yet...i was gonna hook everything up like that this weekend when i get my second skin in and the by tuesday go get 2 more anl fuses to put just right after the front batt.... so would it be alright like that for a day and a half??

I think the most important fuse is the one from the front battery within 18 inches going to the back battery. My reason is: What do you think would happen if the frame or body rubbed a hole in the cable between batteries ?? You have a charging lead headed towards the rear of your vehicle with no fuse to stop anything from shorting out your charging system.

This is what a USACI judge told me at a competition at last years Scrapin the Coast, Biloxi,MS.

I think the two fuses you really need is one within 18 inches leaving front battery and one within 18 inches comming to the rear battery. The amps you have got their own fuses correct ??

just a suggestion sir ... hope this helps ... thanks.

Edited by Cablguy184

o common guys he has his system all ready to rock and roll jsut forgot to order 2 fuses! i bet the suppense is killing him to hear how it all sounds put together!

lol but at any rate it is unsafe just be carefull and dont' push you luck! plus all your equipment is all new to so don't push the sub to the max either!

at any rate it is unsafe but if it was me i would wait... actualy come to think of it when i did my run's of wire i HAD to wiat just liek you b/c i was scared that i woudl burn down my car without the prooper fusing! i remember i placed my order it ended up being back ordered then coming directly to canada (from knu) took a few extra days all and all it took 2wks of not running the wires! lol!

o well play it safe is the best advice anyone can offer! you know it is unsafe now so you make the choices!

ya i know it wont be safe and all so i just bit the bullet and order 2 more from knukonceptz and they will be here saturday when i get started( hopefully that it)...lol but that for the info guys i really apriciate the answers.

If the amp is fused it won't be necessary to run a fuse between the amp and rear battery. Fuse 18 or less inches from rear battery on +, and 18 or less from front battery on + on each run of power wire (if you're planning on running more that is down the line.)

ya i know it wont be safe and all so i just bit the bullet and order 2 more from knukonceptz and they will be here saturday when i get started( hopefully that it)...lol but that for the info guys i really apriciate the answers.

so that will make it like this... 1 fuses on pos and 1 fuse on neg just after the starter batt and then there will be a fuse on pos just after rear batt going to sub amp and a fuse on positive just after rear batt going to speaker amp..

tahst ok right??

No fusing is required on the ground. All you need is 2 fuse blocks and 2 fuses to make this work.

Edited by John Holmes

No fusing is required on the ground.

ok thats what i was thinking. So i can then do one right after the starter batt then one right before the rear batt then the 2 right after the rear batt for both amps??

No fusing is required on the ground.

ok thats what i was thinking. So i can then do one right after the starter batt then one right before the rear batt then the 2 right after the rear batt for both amps??

You don't NEED to fuse but it's recommended between the rear bat and the amps if they are not located very close.

i see where you wouldnt need to but there would be no harm in doing it.. right?

i see where you wouldnt need to but there would be no harm in doing it.. right?

Nope, absolutely not.

umm wait just a second here.

The fuses on the amp are to protect the amp.. not the wire. You still need a fuse on the wire that goes to the amp.

front bat(+) .. fuse ........................... fuse ..(+)rear bat(+) .. fuse .. distribution blk .. fuse ..(+)amp.

front bat(-) .. ground (frame)(body) 2 separate wires / rear bat(-) .. ground(frame)(body)(amp)- 3 separate wires.

well ... that didn't turn out like I wanted.

Edited by Cablguy184

The fuses on the amp are to protect the amp.. not the wire. You still need a fuse on the wire that goes to the amp.

:werd_msword:

You need to fuse every wire connected to a battery as closely to the battery as possible. For a wire connecting two batteries, you should fuse that wire at each battery.

You need to fuse every wire connected to a battery as closely to the battery as possible. For a wire connecting two batteries, you should fuse that wire at each battery.

thats what im doing

front batt +........fuse.........................................fuse .........rear batt+.............fuse ...........amp 1

rear batt+.............fuse ............amp2

body / chassis ground .........front -....................................................................................rear batt -

i hope that makes sense

Edited by Hans

thats what im doing

front batt +........fuse.........................................fuse .........rear batt+.............fuse ...........amp 1

rear batt+.............fuse ............amp2

body / chassis ground .........front -....................................................................................rear batt -

i hope that makes sense

or i can put the fuse just before the second batt + on the big 3 upgrade wire from alt to batt+