CadillacMatt

Thinkin' about getting another old school...

Okay... so I've had my '95 for a few years now... love her to death, and before that was my '88 Brougham my first baby... absolutely loved that car so reliable... she got taken down by engine damage when my oil light failed to come on soon enough after a major oil leak developed... in a scrapyard now (she had barely hit 100k original miles) :(

But now I find myself tempted to make the change back to an old school car... in particular a 1980-1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille like this:

0043251qx.jpg

or that

CADDY_007.jpg

I mean there's truly nothing like a nicely kept classic car, even a newer car with more gadgets and such. What do you guys think? Stick with the new or go back to the classics? My car now has about 112k miles, had 85k when I got her in '07, runs very well with the only problems being electrical but that's with any computer-driven car like that. Recently replaced is the alternator (high output), water pump (couple years ago), power steering pump, tensioner...I have a buddy that is willing to buy it, and with that sale I should have more than enough to score a good condition Coupe of those years (finding one is a different story though. They seem to pop up here and there and 90% of them are tied up over in Cali with 12" Daytons and naked women painted on the hood) :bull:

And yes I like to come here with help making decisions because you guys always have good ideas thanks guys

And sorry for my ellipsis abuse but such is the nature of my thought process; it's just how it comes out on screen lol

Edited by CadillacMatt

i love those caddys also but do you plan to use it for a daily driver is the question

Most likely at first, until I can get a beater truck or something reliable and easy to work on. Before I considered getting a new Caddy I had my sights set on buying a truck for work anyways... to save any more wear and tear

Didn't those models have an assload of electrical gremlins?

Go for the old school. My friend had an 85 sedan deville. Nice car except all the interior electrical stuff was fucked up. Still a nice ass car though. Get an even older one with the 500c.i.

I could always sort out any electrical problems, might be complicated but much less so than the '95... my main concern is going to be, first and foremost, finding one :D and secondarily finding one with at least a decent engine and good working transmission. Don't want to stat looking for one until I get the scratch though, can't imagine finding one for a steal and not being able to do anything about it :)

There out there ive seen em. You might have to be willing to drive a bit though. Try autotrader.com. Good luck with your search. Get a oldschool crown vic or a town car, trunk space for days lol

17330598-854-1948-cadillac-fast-back-chop-top-custom.jpg

1948 to make you smile

The first one was 65k so we won;t even go there but this one is 19k very doable

17412911-389-1957-Cadillac-Customair-baggedblackpi.jpg

Racingjunk

I've got to stop looking or I'll have a end up with one. I would drive and pick this one up for sure 10 k 1966

17133980-539-1966-Cadillac-Deville-Convertible.jpg

The first one was 65k so we won;t even go there but this one is 19k very doable

17412911-389-1957-Cadillac-Customair-baggedblackpi.jpg

Racingjunk

I've got to stop looking or I'll have a end up with one. I would drive and pick this one up for sure 10 k 1966

17133980-539-1966-Cadillac-Deville-Convertible.jpg

All beautiful cars man... that drop top Deville is tits for 10k that about what I'm seeing those years go for too... I am most definitely going to get one in the future, but as sort of as a reward once I put myself through school and get my career goin and all that. And the other two would just be a dream to own!

That being said, for right now, cash-wise most I would be able to throw on a car is 3 grand or so... simply due to the fact that I can't sell my current vehicle until I find and purchase a suitable replacement that's in good running order to cart me back and forth to work for a while... I have a few months to decide on things, my buddy's getting all his affairs in order to buy my car in the event that it happens like that...

I actually did see a stock Coupe DeVille a lot like that black one on the road today so I know they are out there CrownVic you are probably right about the distance thing, I would be willing to go as far east as H-Town and as far north as Dallas if I wanted to pick one up. I would do a Vic or TC but alas my heart belongs to GM :)

Edited by CadillacMatt

Okay...

So after doing shit-tons of more research, and talking to knowledgeable car guys, I think I'm gonna go ahead and spring for a Coupe, assuming I can find one. However... I found out that these cars have the two worst GM engines in history... the flopped variable V8-6-4 engine from 80-82, and the infamous aluminum-block/cast-iron head HT4100 engine in 83-84. Both started off as good ideas, but the technology back then just wasn't sufficient enough to make them reliable engines. Plus, the HT4100 has a screaming 135hp :(

Sooo... as I visit my buddy's garage and stare at the 350 Chevy race motor he's building from the ground up for his El Camino, we come up with an idea. Assuming everything goes to plan and I get the car we are going to swap the motor for a rebuilt 350... something hopped up and street-saavy... nothing too much that'll suck gas like a Hummer and run 9's in the quarter mile, but something with enough cajones to break the tires loose and have plenty of fun with... from what I've read all it should need is some new motor mounts and possibly an adapter plate for the tranny depending on what year model it is... but nothing too difficult or unheard of.

Man... ya know I was checking out my other Caddy options... I absolutely LOVE the styling of the '68-'70 El Dorados... but alas, they are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!! :( :(

1968 El Dorado

1968_Eldorado.jpg

Edited by CadillacMatt

That's probably the only vehicle that GM offered with a hood longer than what's on my 70 Monte Carlo. That Caddy is pretty pimp. I'd cruise it FWD or not.

Hmm... Caddy with a Chevy motor... PHOTOSHOP TIME!! lol

chevillac.jpg

put some 20" swangs on that el dorado and call it a day

put some 20" swangs on that el dorado and call it a day

x2

Get some 84's, neons in the trunk, candy paint, and then call it a day ;)

+ some slim thug cds

You know I was thinkin bout gettin some 84s but they are WAAAAAYYYYY over priced. For a set of 15" 83's from TWW (Texan Wire Wheel) it's almost $1500, W/O tires. If you talkin 17" and up 84's especially the Super Pokes I would be looking at over $2000, just on wheels. And if you gonna get those high dollar wheels you can't roll on tire shop tires, you gotta throw some Vogues on there which are at the cheapest $200 a tire... so pretty much come out to 3 grand just in wheels & tires. PLUS the website says "for FWD cars only" which even though I've seen them all RWD cars too I'd rather not take the risk... dunno why they recommend against it??

OR, I could scoop a set of 24" blades WITH tires for about 2 grand shipped.... the downside is my fear of potholes will only be greater and the ride quality is going to suck.

This is what I had in mind:

84's:

cdv-84s.jpg

or 24's:

cdv-24s.jpg

I definitely wouldnt put 24"s on it but to each its own, the one with the Blades does look better than the one with the 84"s on it.

Hmm... Caddy with a Chevy motor... PHOTOSHOP TIME!! lol

chevillac.jpg

you.. they all have chevy motors..

you.. they all have chevy motors..

I don't follow.

Swangs are way overpriced and overrated imo. Wouldn't do blades as everyone has em. I would do some 20" spokes. Then use saved money and bag the bish...or hydros. I got a dude that can do them really cheap.

Just m y opinion :peepwall: