deernet

Options for very shallow mount subs?

I've been looking for some 8s that have a very shallow mounting depth, to use in my doors to get some good midbass. So far all I've come up with are the JL TW5, and they're 13 inch. I'd really like to find something closer to 8 inch. I know that I could use deeper ones and glass the doors out, but then I think I would always be rubbing on them with my leg while driving. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

I know Tang Band makes some good shallow drivers.

Andrew

I'd never heard of them, thanks for the suggestion. They're site isn't working exactly right for me, all I can see is the tweeters and mids, every time I try clicking on subs nothing happens. I'll do some more searching and see what I can dig up.

I'm not really sure what my other options might be, but for those JL's the cheapest I can find them is $400 a piece. I'm starting to thing I might be better off making a custom center console and using a regular 8 or two.

How Shallow? I have some RE audio 8s in my doors their depth is like 4.5 inchs and there like 50 bucks

Yeah i have one of those in my backpack with a litle enclosure the RE REX 8 and i got mine for 45. Good for the money and look real nice. :peepwall:

Yeah i have one of those in my backpack with a litle enclosure the RE REX 8 and i got mine for 45. Good for the money and look real nice. :peepwall:

I had 6 of them under my back seat on a saz3000 at .66 ohm.silveradoproject004-2.jpg

How Shallow? I have some RE audio 8s in my doors their depth is like 4.5 inchs and there like 50 bucks

That is an AWESOME price, and they would also match my XXX components. I think I've found what I'm going to go with.

Take pictures!! good luck sir.

the 12's are nice too. Have them in my little home theatre. Tried them out in my cousins car and they slam. And my local re audio's show car has 3 re 8's off of a Us amps

merlin 1200rms and that thing is bumpin.

Edited by cheese20323

peerless sls 8 are 4in mounting depth

or

dayton rs 8" is suppose to do ok for midbass duty and is shallower at 3.5in

both about 50 bucks

i run the sls 8s in my doors, as do many others, pretty much everyone's answer to getting big midbass up front.

Can't go wrong with Peerless

The SLS on sale at PE are not the same SLS sold by Madisound. Different drivers.

That said; The SLS8's sold @ Madisound are some of the better performing affordably priced DIY midbass drivers on the market. I haven't seen any measurements for the RE8's, but I would be very surprised if their performance was equivalent to that of the SLS8.

What frequency range were you planning to try to use the drivers? What were you going to be using to actively cross them? How much power?

For crossover, I'd like to eventually get an Alpine PXA-H701, I probably won't have the money for it for a little while, so until then I'll just be using the built in crossovers in my amps. I'll probably be putting around 200 watts a piece to them. Do you really think the SLS drivers are that much better than the RE's? I really wanted to go with those REX's so that they would match my components.

I think your better off going with the RE's they have more excursion and can handle 200wrms fine.

Invert the RE's. it would probably look cool and sound just as good.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I would believe them to be better drivers.

which?

which?

Sorry, didn't realize there was a 2nd page when I replied.

I was referring to the SLS8 more than likely being better drivers than the RE.

which?

Sorry, didn't realize there was a 2nd page when I replied.

I was referring to the SLS8 more than likely being better drivers than the RE.

i thought that is what you meant, just wanted to make sure so i dont try swapping my sls8's out with the REs lol

i dont know any good shallow subs but i know pioneer makes some Pioneer Shallow but you probably will want to stay away from pioneer.

Here are the specs for the Peerless SLS8:

Nominal Impedance 8 ohm

Re 5.9 ohm

Fs 36.5 Hz

Sensitivity 87.2 dB

Qms 7.8

Qes 0.59

Qts 0.54

Vas 33.1 liters

Bl 8.3 Tm

Mms 33g

Cms 0.57 mm/N

Le 2.1mH

VC diameter 39mm

X-max 8.5mm

Peerless SLS 830667, 8" Paper Cone Woofer from Madisound

And the REX8:

8"

Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.38

Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.21

Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.34

Free Air Resonance -Fs: 22.8 Hz

Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 27.1 liters

One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 12 mm

Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 81.2 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area -Sd: 195 cm^2

DC Resistance -Re: 3.2 ohm

Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 4 ohm

Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 175 W

Force Factor -Bl: 15.4

Technical Specifications - RE AUDIO

The higher Q & higher Fs of the SLS8 is a better set of parameters for running the drivers IB in the midbass frequencies. The SLS8 is a proven low distortion design with a linear Bl curve and proper use of shorting rings within the motor. I'm generally not a big sensitivity guy.....but the SLS8 is 6db more efficient than than REX8, which may become a factor in your setup depending on various different things.

Considering they are the same price.....I still don't see enough reasons to go with the REX8 over the SLS8, other than the REX has an RE logo on the dustcap. But if that's all you're worried about then by all means, go with the RE.

No thats not all I'm worried about. The SLS has a blank dustcap, which would go well with anything I suppose. I guess I'll be going with the SLS8 after all the good recommendations. Madisound has a huge selection on its site, I found a lot of interesting stuff on there. Those Hi-Vi SP10s look pretty cool. Anyone here used them?

I'm wondering if there will be any disadvanteges to the SLS being single 8 ohm whereas the REX is dual 4.