Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

What should I upgrade first?

I plan on getting some new equipment in July (happy birthday to me :woot: ) but I'm having some trouble deciding what I want to do first. I plan on changing everything that's currently installed, except for probably my HU, so this is going to be a slow project (lack of funds, FTL).

I honestly have no idea what I want to do. The only thing I know is that I want to keep the sub enclosure small (around 1 cube) and power on the lower side, but I still want it to get decently loud.

Budget will be between $250 and $300. A few scenarios I've come up with are:

1) A Sundown SAX 125.2. I'd run my Shiva off it for now, and later on get a Sundown SA-8 and custom ported box.

2) An IA Lethal Injection and custom sealed box (I had planned on a 10", but I see they aren't available at this time on the SSA store, so I'd go with a 12".) I'd upgrade my amp later on.

3) A Sundown SA-12 and run it in my current prefab box (1.21 cubes sealed). I'd upgrade my amp later for this too.

I'll be replacing my factory speakers at some point, but they sound pretty good (to me), so they aren't a priority right now.

Do any of those sound like a good plan, or does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm open to anything.

What equipment do you have currently?

Unless your amplifier is junk or severely underpowered, you're best bet for (potentially) significantly improving performance is to change out the subwoofer. If your prefab box is appropriately sized and appropriately constructed it won't hurt anything to use it.

X2 on "What equipment do you currently have"?

That info will help us help you! popcorn.gif

I thought it was in my signature, but I guess I forgot to put it there. :puzzled:

Anywho, I've got a 2008 Saturn Vue. As stated, I'm using the factory HU and door speakers, but these speakers will eventually be replaced. I have an MTX RFL600D for my sub amp and an Adire Audio Shiva. The box is pretty solid for prefab. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen.

for $300, you can have a good custom ported box, and a (used ?)sub. Find a good deal on a sub in the For Sale subforum here for example.

Keep your amp for now.

Upgrade your box! The Shiva is a great subwoofer and if built to recommended specs it should sound amazing.

Upgrade your box! The Shiva is a great subwoofer and if built to recommended specs it should sound amazing.

I agree with this. But, like everyone else, I'm always wanting something new. I'd really like to try something from a company I've never used before, like Sundown, IA, SSA, etc. But, yes, the Shiva is probably one of my top 3 favorite subs ever. I'd like to try it ported, but if I remember correctly it takes a very large ported box.

Edited by Dan208

I agree with this. But, like everyone else, I'm always wanting something new. I'd really like to try something from a company I've never used before, like Sundown, IA, SSA, etc. But, yes, the Shiva is probably one of my top 3 favorite subs ever. I'd like to try it ported, but if I remember correctly it takes a very large ported box.

I hear you! If you pick between any of those companies you listed above your going to be happy. It' more like a toss a coin thing and what fit's your budget and goals!

Start with subwoofer(s) and go from there!

I prefer to start with my front stage first. Just my .02

I prefer to start with my front stage first.

Yeah, I need to do this, but I need bass more. :ehh: The factory speakers are pretty good sounding, but a little harsh. Still, they will hold me over until I can do more research so I can install some new ones properly. I might even try my hand at building some kick panels.