JimJ

8W7

:coffee:

Hey...

I might have found an 8W7 that could fit in my budget...however, I've got a question.

Do JL's recommended enclosures work well at home? I've heard they're optimized for in-vehicle cabin gain. If so, does anyone have recommendations for enclosures (sealed or bass reflex) for this little beast?

Thanks in advance.

:lickscreen:

:coffee:

Hey...

I might have found an 8W7 that could fit in my budget...however, I've got a question.

Do JL's recommended enclosures work well at home? I've heard they're optimized for in-vehicle cabin gain. If so, does anyone have recommendations for enclosures (sealed or bass reflex) for this little beast?

Thanks in advance.

:lickscreen:

why not get an rl-i 8? dual 4 vc's mean ease in finding an amp...

and with comperable output potential...unless the 8w7 is just that cheap......

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It is just that cheap. Like within 40 bucks.

Will the new RL-i's truly have comparable output potential?

Id you compare the t/s params ( which means diddly squat) you can see that the RL-i is quite comparable to the 8W7.

I wouldnt say that the enclosures are made for in home use nor the sub for that matter.

TS spesc only give you an idea of the sub but don't acct for things like enclosure, cabin gain, EQ settings, etc. IMO you really need to listen to them and decide from there. The 8W7 is one awesome 8in. Properly setup and some will think its a 10 ported or 12sealed. Nice on output and good SQ like you'd expect from a W7 series. If you can get it that cheap go for it. As far as HT use, who knows on that one, call JL.

well, i'll put it this way...

my rl-i 8 is currently sitting in .17ft^3 sealed, getting maybe 100wrms, in a 10x12 room, running at 8 ohm. is it loud? yep. does it go low? yep. is it responsive? u betcha! adn i can only imagine what it would sound like in a more home friendly enviroment, say .35-.5ft^3 sealed....

but the 8w7 needs no description, and if u can get one for around the price of an rl-i, well, i don't envy ur decision.lol..

but the rl-i will be easier to match with an amp...impedence wise..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My eD8a was AT LEAST as good as an 8W7...if not better. And the rl-i is based off the same design. chit I had it in .4 cubes sealed with 650rms on it...it KILLED.

NG

PS: I got a vid of it too...if interested.

The regular 8a? Or the 8a.x "super 8"?

I can testify to the regular A series' prowess...love my 12 :D

If you can get the 8w7 for that cheap, then get that and see how you like it. If you feel there could be an improvement by going to the rl-i then sell it, i'm sure you could sell it for more then you paid.

Highly suggest the 8w7....

Definately not a JL fan boy - this woofer is just amazing for what it is.

It's hard to compete with something that is totally 1-off when you've got these other 8's built with off the shelf stock parts...that have about as much engineering involved in them as the IT puckers at my school have brains....

Edit: BTW - It likes 1.0 cube ported with 2 2" or 2.5" vents 12" long iirc.

If you can get the 8w7 for that cheap, then get that and see how you like it. If you feel there could be an improvement by going to the rl-i then sell it, i'm sure you could sell it for more then you paid.

I agree, you can't beat that price. do it! do it!