Dan208

Enclosure size question.

I was just wondering what the difference is between the small enclosure size recommendation and the optimal size recommendation for the SSA subs? How is output affected by going with the optimal size vs the smaller size? Is is a noticable difference? :noob:

Generally the smaller enclosure your going to be able to increase the power applied. Larger enclosure generally is more efficient and doesn't need the extra amplifier power applied.

And typically more output for the larger enclosure and for the small enclosure, less volume = more mechanical handling.

Because a larger enclosure is more efficient :)

Thanks for clearing that up. So, does larger mean it will get louder, or that it just doesn't take as much power to get as loud as the smaller enclosure?

Won't need as much power to get loud.

Most people who burp put their woofers in very tiny enclosures with tons of port area to increase mechanical power handling. But for the rest of us not really burping and aren't limited space i would go with the optimal size.

With our subs, the smaller size is perfectly fine. If you want to get more out of them and you have the gains set correctly, go for the optimal. :)

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably go with the optimal size if I decide to go with the Dcon (so far it's looking that way).

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably go with the optimal size if I decide to go with the Dcon (so far it's looking that way).

The DCON is a great all around subwoofer! You will love it!

Dan, the Dcon more so then the Icon or Xcon, can really thrive in the smaller ported enclosure design. Then again, it is always easier to make a box smaller then it is to make it bigger. :)

Excellent Thread!! Thanks for all the info this post has to offer! Helped my understanding as well! :fing34:

Dan, the Dcon more so then the Icon or Xcon, can really thrive in the smaller ported enclosure design. Then again, it is always easier to make a box smaller then it is to make it bigger.

Thanks, Aaron. I'd prefer to go smaller.

Excellent Thread!! Thanks for all the info this post has to offer! Helped my understanding as well!

Wow. I actually contributed something useful to the board. :ohnoes9:

Check out my thread with a 12" DCON and an optimal enclosure. 12" DCON in Mazda Protege5 - SSA Car Audio Forum

My build log and review of my 10" DCON OldSkool_08 DCON Build Log and Review - SSA Car Audio Forum

The DCON is an amazing driver for the money!

...I mean it is the premier choice in the 300 rms watt range... ;)

All this talk of power handling in relation to box size, why has there been no mention of frequency response differences between box sizes yet?

Larger enclosures generally have a lower f3 point as well as a shallower rolloff below that, and therefore generally play lower. That means the frequency response graph is more flat. There's also the transient response aspect of different enclosures. Some people say smaller enclosures have better transient reponse, but going too small can be detrimental as well.

All this talk of power handling in relation to box size, why has there been no mention of frequency response differences between box sizes yet?

Larger enclosures generally have a lower f3 point as well as a shallower rolloff below that, and therefore generally play lower. That means the frequency response graph is more flat. There's also the transient response aspect of different enclosures. Some people say smaller enclosures have better transient reponse, but going too small can be detrimental as well.

:fing34: :fing34:

GOOD THREAD! I was wondering about this a couple of days ago and just happened to stumble upon this thread. Yay