Robert.Metzel

1998 Explorer Sport Build

Well I thought I would start a build log even though my stuff doesn't even come close to what most of you are doing. lol Anyways, build will consist of the following stuff:

1998 Ford Explorer Sport

2- SSD 12's dual 1 ohm

Soundstream RUB1600.1 amp

All Knuconceptz power/ ground wires 0 awg

12 awg speaker wire

250 amp alt

Yellowtop under the hood

Big 3 w/ 0 awg

40 CDL tiles from Don @ Sound Deadener Showdown just to tame the cargo area a bit.

No front stage yet as I don't have the cash for them yet. I business partner has an alpine 5 channel amp with a center stage I can use when I do get the components. Not sure of the model though.

Current system is an Orion 12 on 200 rms and the Explorer rattles pretty good already. Ill post a video of the baby flex from that 12 for fun in the next few days. haha

So some pics of what I currently have installed and the gear going in.

Orion 12, Obcon Box, Alpine amp.... Gets decently loud for what it is. Temp system while I saved up for all of the above.

4730812226_7964234acd_b.jpg

Alpine Amp

4730168571_c2dc9d35b0_b.jpg

New 2010 SSD 12's Stock

4710498088_48b485f4fd_b.jpg

Amp next to my buddies 2 channel RE amp I put in his car.

4730861958_b3ecf8a7e8_b.jpg

Power wires, fuses, fuse holders, etc... Just came today. Crappy BB pic

4730705668_0b2ac680c9_b.jpg

HAHA! I totally forgot how big KC's ANL fuse holders were....

4730705422_9253543f0d_b.jpg

And a pic of my little man Jasper. Just because he is the coolest dude in the world! :) From his 1st Birthday last month. :)

4730862090_d2f53e712b_b.jpg

I have a wedding to shoot this Saturday so Sunday I start installing the power wires. Waiting on the CDL tiles and the HO alternator so Ill probably do 2 of 3 of the Big 3 and just run the Alt to batt wire for now..

Plenty More pics to come as I tear up, put down, install, etc... Hope to start the box this weekend. Around 4 cubes after displacement. Subs firing up and port to the rear. Trying to save as much cargo space as I can by doing it that way. I haul around A LOT of camera gear for shoots so I need the space. Still might go sealed but I haven't decided. I had planned on getting current system metered before I pull it but no shops around here have TL. 2 have old condenser mics and the 3rd had no clue what kind they had but they said it was super accurate. + or - 10 db... :orly3: Yeah not .1 db... 10 db's! I told him I'd be better off saving my $40 and just guessing the db's. Probably more accurate too! Won't be calling them again... haha

Nice. Always like seeing Explorer Sport build logs since I have one too. Always helps me with ideas on new stuff. :fing34:

"my stuff doesn't even come close to what most of you are doing" Does not matter what you install-Mild or Wild-This forum enjoys all! We do luv the pics, the more the better. You have a great start! Tuned in :popcorn:

Nice. Always like seeing Explorer Sport build logs since I have one too. Always helps me with ideas on new stuff. :fing34:

Sweet! Mine is gonna be pretty basic though. Nothing fancy. :(

Your subs look niiiice!

Ssd's not Bl's ? Damn !

Go ported, you will pound harder! :)

Tuned in for more pics.

Thanks for posting.

Your subs look niiiice!

Ssd's not Bl's ? Damn !

Go ported, you will pound harder! :)

Tuned in for more pics.

Thanks for posting.

No BL's. lol This is a budget build for sure. Plus, not may people are reppin the SSD's, so I though I would. :)

Very nice selection of gear to get started!

Keep up with the pics!

Thought I would post a few more pics cause the Black Berry ones are terrible! I should know better.... I'm a photog.... :peepwall:

Knuconceptz 0 awg next to their 4 awg

4731417970_61b1a9ec9a_b.jpg

The HUGE Knuconceptz ANL Fuse holder. Sorry, but I laugh every time I look at it, but jealous at the same time. :Doh: haha

4730774795_c6414d48cb_b.jpg

Amp

4730775049_0c68809c75_b.jpg

Side 1

4731417610_8eaba47011_b.jpg

Side 2 4 gauge power and ground hence the 3rd Fuse holder. 0 into a distribution block, 4 out, fused, then to the amp.

4731417794_8ec00de5e5_b.jpg

That's all for now. More as the rest comes in and I start building and installing on Sunday. :)

Love a good Ford build!!! :popcorn:

:popcorn:

Just an update. Got my shipment in from Sound Deadening solutions today and already used up about half of it in problem area's on the explorer. I also started to build a 2.5 cube common chamber sealed box just to see how bad my wood working skills are. Yup, I pretty much suck! Cant cut a straight line to save my life. I have a jig saw and a skill saw to work with and that's it. Even marking correct and following the line my cuts are wavy to a fault. So I might just jump on the pre-order for the new Khaotik boxes. I think I'll use the rest of the wood to make a false bottom in the cargo area so I can stash the amp away under a door. Pics and more updates coming tomorrow as I'll be working on running wires and other stuff most of the day! :)

Finally have some time to post pics. VERY slow build process because I own my own business so I work ALL THE TIME! lol I'm also a single parent so that makes it tough too. Anyways, here is what I have been up to this last week.

DB Electric Alt. NOT HAPPY. Battery at idle sits at 12.8 volts. Called and the told me the pulley is smaller so use a smaller belt. Check... didn't do a thing. So then I swapped pullies out from the old to the new, nope... didn't help. Brand new belts too. Wasted 33 bucks on a belt I'll never use now. So now I wanna send it back but they are going to charge me a 25% restocking fee.... total bs. My stock alt is 130 amp, so I'm just going to run that one until I have cash to drop on a $400 quality alt.

4756281268_505f86c7ae_b.jpg

Optima in, big 3 done, power and ground wires all ran

4756281374_4c50d6fb3b_b.jpg

Started building my box today. So I made the kid cut the grass so I could keep working. :)

4755643535_8904d36958_b.jpg

Craptastic box. Man I suck at cutting straight! Stupid stuff too like cutting on the wrong side of the line, plus the blade width, leaving the piece an 1/8" short. :( Nothing that a bit of sanding and caulk wont fix. Kinda ghetto but its all I can do.

4756282610_1e57db729b_b.jpg

3 sides are done with the top just resting for show.

4755643773_35a2214edb_b.jpg

Another view

4755643901_330dc2ec59_b.jpg

All of the inside corner pieces are cut and the back to corners are already glued and caulked. Still need to cut the ports and the holes out of the second baffle before I glue them. If you are wondering this is the ICON dual 12 ported box from the tech section. 4 cubes @ 30 hz with 55 sq inches of port. Hope to finish the rest next week and final get it in the Explorer. And the new box is just sitting on an unfinished sealed box so I don't have to bend over as much. I'm 6'6" so I'm not fond of things on the ground.

I also used up all my deadening tiles but I didn't take pics of that. 40 tiles total went in trouble area's. It really made a huge difference in most spots so I am glad I did pick those up. More to come next week I hope and if all goes right I have a video too.

hey your not the only one with cutting issues lol. i built a new box 4 my fosgate power hx2 15 the other day and i had all my cuts straight until i got to the baffle and the top. i used to double baffle from my previous box and the last cut on it was jacked and the top was a little short. but hey caulk, screws and mdf scraps fixed that. its in a trunk of an ugly ol' car so noone sees it

hey your not the only one with cutting issues lol. i built a new box 4 my fosgate power hx2 15 the other day and i had all my cuts straight until i got to the baffle and the top. i used to double baffle from my previous box and the last cut on it was jacked and the top was a little short. but hey caulk, screws and mdf scraps fixed that. its in a trunk of an ugly ol' car so noone sees it

It's just amazing how I can't build a box to save my life but my buddy and I built his entire house. I didn't have a single issue then. Now I'm like saw handicapped or something? :shrug:

nice build. what kind of camera do you have that thing is HD

nice build. what kind of camera do you have that thing is HD

These were taken with a Canon 5d and a Sigma 50mm macro. Here is a partial list of my gear I use.

Have a lot more since this list and some upgrades on stuff.

Bodies:

Canon 40d w/ grip

2- Canon 5d w/ grip

1d Mark II

Rebel XT w/ Grip IR Conversion

AE-1 Program w/ several lenses

Lenses:

Tokina 12-24 f/4

Canon 17-40L

Canon 50 1.8

Canon 50 1.4

Sigma 50 2.8 macro x2

Canon 85 1.8

Canon 24-70 2.8L

Canon 70-200 2.8L

Lighting Gear:

2- abr800 ring flashes

2- Vagabond II Battery packs

2- 30" Moon units w/ Mask sets

2- 56" Moon units w/ Diffusers

2- 20° Honeycomb Grids

Numerous Gels for the ringflash

Metz 44 flash

Canon 430ex flash

2- Canon 580EX II flashes

2- Vivitar 285HV flashes

6- Cybersync Receivers

2- Cybersync Transmitters

4- 42" Wescott Umbrella's

4- 9' Manfrotto Light stands

2- Rosco Gel sets

3- Flash diffusers

Fong Lightsphere II

Color flash Gels

Stability:

486RC2 Compact Ballhead

Giottos M7001 ballhead

Giottos MT-9360 Legs

Bags:

domke f1-x

Lowepro backpack

National Geo Medium should bag

Computer:

Dell Studio 540

Vista x64

2.33 GHz Quad core ( Q8200 )

8 Gb ram

512 mb video card

640 GB internal HD

640 GB internal HD

160 GB External HD

1 TB External HD

2-2 TB External HD

PS CS4

Lightroom 2.2

Lots of plugins and actions

22" widescreen LCD monitor

19" LCD for CS4 Palettes

Finished the box yesterday and loaded up the subs this morning! :) Its is storming out right now so i didn't spend a ton of time out with it. Output at first was kinda weak and didn't seem any louder then my 12" Orion on 500 watts. Stood in the rain watching the cone when I noticed one was wired out of phase. :suicide-santa: So I pulled it, rewired it and stuck it back in. I totally agree with everyone that says these subs are under rated! Output is insane and damn these things move some air. At full tilt on music my eyes jump around so much! VERY happy I went with these subs! Video to come once the rain finally passes, which won't be for a few days. :(

Quick video via my Black Berry playing a bass song. Camera picks up flex for crap. New video coming tomorrow after I change my JVC up.