Sign in to follow this  
bshizzle88

Alpine Deck Xover questions

I have an alpine CDA-9853. I'm not sure what would be the best way to set it up. The crossover has front/rear/sub, I'm not sure about the slope and what Hz to tune them to for best sound. I have the front / rear set to 100hz and the slope to 24. It goes flat/6/12/18/24. I would like some advice on how to tune these. The subwoofer setting is what I'm most concerned about. I have a FI BL 12 and blew it. Now in the process of re coning it =( I'm also not sure what to set my amps LPF to.... I was told 80hz but I want to be sure. Many people also mentioned bass boost being bad, is this true? And one more question, should I keep my subwoofer level on 0 at all times. Is it safe to set it around 8-12 before setting my gain? Clipping caused my sub to kick the bucket..... And I don't want that to happen again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also need a skilled woodworker to create me a optimal box for this BL sub. =D

I have an alpine CDA-9853. I'm not sure what would be the best way to set it up. The crossover has front/rear/sub, I'm not sure about the slope and what Hz to tune them to for best sound. I have the front / rear set to 100hz and the slope to 24. It goes flat/6/12/18/24. I would like some advice on how to tune these. The subwoofer setting is what I'm most concerned about. I have a FI BL 12 and blew it. Now in the process of re coning it =( I'm also not sure what to set my amps LPF to.... I was told 80hz but I want to be sure. Many people also mentioned bass boost being bad, is this true? And one more question, should I keep my subwoofer level on 0 at all times. Is it safe to set it around 8-12 before setting my gain? Clipping caused my sub to kick the bucket..... And I don't want that to happen again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also need a skilled woodworker to create me a optimal box for this BL sub. =D

Well as far as front component tuning Im still learning about that.

But subs you should have never went over 50hz for your subwoofer. I dont know anybody that plays their subwoofer at 80hz thats for midbass man. And you never ever set bass boost on your amp or deck on a subwoofer. When setting the gains for the sub you turn the subwoofer level on your deck all the way up then set the gains. that way if its too loud you can just turn it down. But remember no bass boost, no loudness on, and all Eq on flat or zeroed out.

You're crossover sub setting will not blow your sub.. just play with it and if it's making bad noises on the higher freq, then bring the LPF to a lower number, or pick a steeper slope. You could possibly have your LPF set to 63-80 with a steep slope (24db/octave). Just test and tune.. Where you will blow your sub is not having your subsonic filter set correctly. I've always heard set your SSF to a few HZ lower than the tuning of your box.

DOn't forget to set the Subsonic filter correctly.(3-5hz below tuning)

Thanks for the info guys! Does anyone have suggestions on what to set the front / rear to for the highs. I'm just running the speakers off the deck for now, (low money) down the road I will get an amp for the highs.

The pupose of a crossover is to narrow the frequency range that a driver is playing. With that being said, what you want to do with the fronts is narrow off the lower frequencys that the sub is now playing. IF you can get the sub to play up to 80hz then you should be good crossing the fronts to play the frequencys from there up. AS far as the Slope setting, this controls how many decibels the signal will have dropped by the next octave. SO the steeper the slope, the less you will hear past your crossover point. Heres a gragh to show you what the slope changes.

4650-rew-crossover-slope-oddity-80-12-24-copy.jpg

One last question. You guys said 50 - 63 hz would be ok for my BL 12. Sould I set the LPF on the amp the the same as the Alpine deck frequency? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to fine tuning everything. =D Just trying to get this set up the best I can.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. I have a RF punch 500a2 old school amp I don't need. I was told these are pretty good amps. What would be a good price to ask for this amp? It is older but in great shape. And the original owner (my friend) used it for under a year on 2 jl w3 12's (oldest version) and then unhooked it. I need cash to recone my BL =(

You will want to turn the amp xover off or to full, since the siginal is effectively already narrowed down with the decks xover.

As far as the RF amp go's, I would say right around a hundred give or take its condition. The funny thing is I am looking at buying that same amp on ebay right now, thats how I know.

You interested in the amp for $110.00? It has low hours for it's age. And like i said it always pushed jl w3's (250 rms each) never abused with a higher powered subs. I dont need this thing let me know.

You interested in the amp for $110.00? It has low hours for it's age. And like i said it always pushed jl w3's (250 rms each) never abused with a higher powered subs. I dont need this thing let me know.

Its for a second vehicle thats on the back burner at the moument is why I was trolling egay. I wish I had the extra money at the current time but I don't. Thanks for the offer. You shouldn't have a had time selling it though.