Sign in to follow this  
touchdowntodd

is the 10" SSD the right sub for me?

hey guys.. new to the site, and ive been out of car aurdio for about 10-15 years... im from the days of orion amps on strokers LOL

i have a 63 impala and im going to build a box or get one built for the area in the trunk under the package tray.. its very important to me that you cannot see the sub itself, or the amp

the area i have to work with is about 10.5"tall x 26" x 26" give or take, im gonna get better measurements today

in the interest of $$$ and all, i want to atleast use the amp i have now to get started... its in my daily now cause i got bored and a friend gave me his old 12" cvrs in a kicker ported box for $50 LOL.. its a old school MTX thunder 2150x .. it pushes teh CVRs decent, and if i remember right most people agreed these amps put out about 500rms bridged 4ohm...

anyways, i listen to everything from 70s funk to rap, but care most about the rap tones bumpin decently...

ill never compete in SPL shit obviously with this setup.. its a lowrider im building and i just wanna have a sub in the back that can go in that small area and be wallled off probably so the focus can be on my aircraft hydro setup.. im really into clean installs and things bein super basic and CLEAN lol.. im not cuttin any subs into the package tray rear deck area like some guys do on these.. i want the car to look like its 1978 still

anyways.. eventually ill probably step up to a sundown amp, i read a lot about em in teh last year or so, and they seem to be right about waht i want.. get somewhere around 800-1000rms eventually..

is the SSD the right sub for me to put together for now, have nice lil sound, and get a better amp later??? thoughts?

Edited by todd

The SSD will be a perfect subwoofer for you! Very underrated subwoofer imo!

so.. moving things around in the trunk for the best setup before i go screwin around with anything..

new measurements..

11" high (leaving little room for excursion, should probably try to build 10" high to be sure to have room)

33" long

16" deep

can a box this dimension work well for a SSD?

and an SSD is good on 800-1000 rms right? i wont go bigger than taht... cause of electrical and all... so i think the BL would be overkill, and i think at these power ratings i wouldnt get more from having a BL over an SSD ... plus m sure the BL needs more depth in teh box tahn the SSD

More than enough room, you're at 2.25ft^3 gross. The SSD will impress you with how loud they can get while remaining musical.

and i want dual 2 ohm right?

my amp now gets hot at 4ohm LOL anything lower will kill it im sure

and tehn i can still wire to 1ohm on the sundown 1000 when i get it right?

i might be wrong cause ive been outta this so long lol

any one think a 12" can fit in that space? seems like it would be woorth tryin to fit the slightly bigger sub if i can....

any one think a 12" can fit in that space? seems like it would be woorth tryin to fit the slightly bigger sub if i can....

yes a 12 will fit

Port design for SSD 12

Outer Dimensions 10x33x16

Sub Disp. .14 cuft

2.0 cuft after displacements

1 4'' aero port (precision port; can be purchased from Parts Express - 4'' Precision Port or Precision Sound Products)

The 4'' areo port will need to have a flared length of 13.625 (flared length= length from end to end)

The box will be tuned right around 33 Hz

The only issue is where are you firing the port and sub.. the port may not fit (i think you need at least 4 inches from the end of the port to the wall behind the port), From your earlier post, I assume you are firing the sub up. What about the port?

idealy i would fire teh port to the front of the car ... maybe to one of the sides...

i wish i knew more about all this box building shit...

idealy i would fire teh port to the front of the car ... maybe to one of the sides...

i wish i knew more about all this box building shit...

Firing out the side would work well.. But then you would need about 4-5 inches of clearance from the side of the box to the side of your car. Im guessing the 33 inches wide measurement doesn't account for this 4-5 inches of clearance. Correct? So you may need to decrease the width to 28-29? (porting out of the side)

it actually does leave space, cause i still need to leave room for other parts on teh side of the box...

taht reminds me, if thats constant need for boxes, i should probably move the box in teh trunk of my daily, it side ports and only has like 1-2" before the trunk sides where its at lol..

front firing port wouldnt work because it would only have 2" or so for my impala... unless i could make it fire through the factory rear speaker grill in the middle of the seat, buit port going through the middle of the box doesnt seem likely

it actually does leave space, cause i still need to leave room for other parts on teh side of the box...

taht reminds me, if thats constant need for boxes, i should probably move the box in teh trunk of my daily, it side ports and only has like 1-2" before the trunk sides where its at lol..

front firing port wouldnt work because it would only have 2" or so for my impala... unless i could make it fire through the factory rear speaker grill in the middle of the seat, buit port going through the middle of the box doesnt seem likely

Well you don't really want the port firing out into air.. (if you fire out of the front, will it be firing into the back seat?) Its better if the port fires at something so the sound waves can reflect off of something. Firing up through the rear speaker gill wouldn't be a bad idea.. it'll reflect off of the back window..

no rear speaker grills stock, and dont really wanna cut some..

more thinking, more thinking..

hopefully 1000rms into a SSD12 can give me nice sound

Sign in to follow this