Sign in to follow this  
mustangsub

external equalizer

i have been looking around and seeing alot of people using external equalizers. my setup right now is 3 pairs of coaxial speakers and 2 re audio 10 inch subwoofers. i have a kenwood deck with the basic bass,mid and treble settings on it. my question is ,is it worth buying an external eq and will i see a big difference with it. i listen to a lot of rap so its bass heavy. and also if i should get an eq any suggestions on what brands ? i have a budget of about 100 to 150$ on one . thanks

Question is why do you feel you need an EQ? What do you not like about your system?

Usually a better install can cure most of your problems without the need for EQ. Lets hear a little more about your install.

Question is why do you feel you need an EQ? What do you not like about your system?

Usually a better install can cure most of your problems without the need for EQ. Lets hear a little more about your install.

okay we'll i feel i need an eq because i would like to fine tune it more than just the broad range of bass, mid and treble. right now im running a kenwood KDC-MP345U which i find is way to complicated to use . it took me over 40 mins to find out how to turn the sub output on after reading the manual twice. my speakers are as follow 3.5 infinity coaxials in dash, 5.25 infinity coaxials in doors and 6x8 pioneer 3 ways in the back. i really like the infinity 5.25 and how u can boost the tweeter 3db or lower it., and finally im running 2 re audio 10inch subs in a 1.9 cubes sealed box that i built. they are being run by a brutus 1200d amp which i know isnt the greatest its my 2nd one in 4 months. this is my first install and first box i built. im looking for more bass but it is hard to do when i have a convertible.

if you're looking for more bass then i'd look other places before i looked into buying a EQ. first of all i'd look into a HU that's easier for you to understand with more pre amp volts or possibly a line driver, a stronger signal will help out all aspects of your system. i love kenwood HU's i believe they're the best out there

if you're looking for more bass then i'd look other places before i looked into buying a EQ. first of all i'd look into a HU that's easier for you to understand with more pre amp volts or possibly a line driver, a stronger signal will help out all aspects of your system. i love kenwood HU's i believe they're the best out there

yea i like the h.u but i had to press like 4 buttons at once to turn it on. im thinking about getting an eclipse h.u when i get my new car

So, you mainly want an EQ to have more bass?

What are you focused on sub bass 60hz down or the mid bass. Install can help both areas more so then an EQ can.

Yes, you are at a huge disadvantage in a convertible. :(

So, you mainly want an EQ to have more bass?

What are you focused on sub bass 60hz down or the mid bass. Install can help both areas more so then an EQ can.

Yes, you are at a huge disadvantage in a convertible. :(

yes bass 60hz down and i think i might need new wiring. im running 6 guage to my hifonics brutus 1200d and 4 guage ground wire. but ive managed to hit 120db in the convertible which i think is a big goal

Turn the rear speakers off, you will have more bass ! You just want the music to come in front of you.

Are you sure about the box design? A ported box will give you nore output (usually)

^ this.

I really would port your box if it's not already. What re subs do you have?

I would run minimum 4ga power and ground for that amp.

Now back in my day, a 300w Jensen EQ was the shit! lol

Ported box gets you more bass.

What year car? Model?

Ported box gets you more bass.

What year car? Model?

1991 ford mustang convertible

^ this.

I really would port your box if it's not already. What re subs do you have?

I would run minimum 4ga power and ground for that amp.

Now back in my day, a 300w Jensen EQ was the shit! lol

i am not sure if i can port it . my trunk is very very small max height is 12inches , lenght is good about 40inches or so and width is only 10 or 12inches. i am not sure which re's they are my buddie sold them to me for 40bucks ill find a picture of them

Picture010.jpg

Edited by mustangsub

You can do like we did for my GF's 98 Mustang GT convertible. Remove the back seat and put the bass there.

Those look like the older RE SR you can find the specs from re and you might be better off with an SAE1200 for the trio what ohmages are they?

Those look like the older RE SR you can find the specs from re and you might be better off with an SAE1200 for the trio what ohmages are they?

i only have 2 of the three pictured and yes i might be able to get a sae1200 for 250 $ and 2ohms

Edited by mustangsub

You can do like we did for my GF's 98 Mustang GT convertible. Remove the back seat and put the bass there.

i wish but 1) where i live my top would get slashd and they would be gone in 2 seconds and 2) i can take out the backseat b/c i need the room for passengers or stuff that never fits in the tiny trunk. im hoping to have a enough for an 03 gt mustang next year and then i will do a real build and build log

I don't see an EQ being a worthwhile investment in your case. Your issue is as plain as the nose on your face... It is a convertible. Convertibles are hindrances on both sound quality and SPL.

I don't see an EQ being a worthwhile investment in your case. Your issue is as plain as the nose on your face... It is a convertible. Convertibles are hindrances on both sound quality and SPL.

alright thanks i just didnt want to waste my money without asking people who know their stuff first

And turning off the rear speakers WILL NOT give you more bass. :puzzled:

I'm not to hands on w/RE, but the box you have now would/could be on the edge to port w/those subs, so you might not have to make a bigger box.

And turning off the rear speakers WILL NOT give you more bass. :puzzled:

I'm not to hands on w/RE, but the box you have now would/could be on the edge to port w/those subs, so you might not have to make a bigger box.

whta like aero ports