Sign in to follow this  
rmzsuzuki89

Subs Ringing Problem

I just got my system up and running a lil while ago, now I have a problem. I had a Maxxlink in, but the subs were barely moving, though quite loud. I had the input level set correctly, and wired up just as the manual diagrammed.

So I decided to take it out and see how it would be with just 2 sets of strapped amps (4 SAZ-3000d's). I only have one set of rcas going back from the hu, so I got some rca splitters so I could get rcas to the other master amp. Now, I'm getting a ringing out of the subs, sounds almost like a 1000hz tone or something. The pitch also increases as I get on the throttle. I also have quite a bit less output than when the Maxxlink was in. So I've been doing a lil reading, and read somewhere here on the forums that splitters half the signal, and limit the tuning capabilities of the hu. Not something that I'm stating as fact, just something that I read.

So I just pulled the hu (Alpine iDa-X100) to see how many sub outs I have, and there is only one set.

So my question is, how should I go about my rca wiring in this situation?

Btw, sorry for the long ass post lol.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

Got a lil more info.

I found out that the splitters probably aren't the problem since I unhooked them and plugged the rca from the hu into one pair of amps and it still does it. But it only does it with the engine running, not with just the ignition.

May want to try another set of RCA's.

Where is the HU grounded? Sometimes the factory ground can cause noise issues.

May want to try another set of RCA's.

Where is the HU grounded? Sometimes the factory ground can cause noise issues.

I'm not too sure where the ground is since it was installed for me 3 years ago before I did my own stuff, I'll go hunting for it in a second.

Both the hu and the rcas have been fine for the past 2-3 years. It's only acting up now that the Maxxlink is out.

What kind of HU is it? If it's a Pioneer there's a possibility that you blew the PICO fuse when disconnecting the maxxlink, especially possible if you did it with the radio on. You have the dreaded engine whine. There's plenty of steps you can take to track it down though.

NVM, reading > me. forgot you mentioned the HU was an Alpine.

The thing I'd try is putting the maxxlink back in. Or, did you say you hooked all the amps up with RCA's?? If you're strapping the amps, don't the RCA's just go to one amp, then from the BR out to the input of the other amp??? I've not strapped any Sundown amps yet, but perhaps that is your problem?

What kind of HU is it? If it's a Pioneer there's a possibility that you blew the PICO fuse when disconnecting the maxxlink, especially possible if you did it with the radio on. You have the dreaded engine whine. There's plenty of steps you can take to track it down though.

It's an Alpine iDa-X100, but I did disconnect the Maxxlink with everything off.

And I guess it has to be engine whine since it seems to only be when the engine is running. Would this explain the sudden decrease in output as well? It's just kinda weird that It's happening the second that the Maxxlink is out, but was fine wit it in lol.

NVM, reading > me. forgot you mentioned the HU was an Alpine.

The thing I'd try is putting the maxxlink back in. Or, did you say you hooked all the amps up with RCA's?? If you're strapping the amps, don't the RCA's just go to one amp, then from the BR out to the input of the other amp??? I've not strapped any Sundown amps yet, but perhaps that is your problem?

Ya, the rcas only go to the master amp, then from the br out to the slave br in. But I'm running 2 pairs of strapped amps.

But maybe I'll throw it back in and see what happens.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

Could it be possible the maxxlink was filtering out the engine noise?

Try running a new ground on the headunit.

Well I tried adding a ground loop isolator, but the ringing was still there, even when I completely unplug the rcas at the hu. The subs on the passenger side are the ones ringing it seems. And there's a lil bit of a turn off pop.

Could it be possible the maxxlink was filtering out the engine noise?

Try running a new ground on the headunit.

I don't think that could be it since it still does it even with the rcas unplugged. Or would it? It has been fine for the past 3 years.

Oh, well if the rcas are unplugged then it's not the headunit.

I don't think an amp ground would do this either?

Can you try just using one amp? Maybe it has something to do when their strapped?

Oh, well if the rcas are unplugged then it's not the headunit.

I don't think an amp ground would do this either?

Can you try just using one amp? Maybe it has something to do when their strapped?

Well I decided to put the Maxxlink back in and the ringing is gone. But I now have no output. I'm gonna go back out and mess with it a lil after my head clears a lil lol.

I would look at trying a new HU ground and when the HU is out of the dash check to see if the noise goes away.

I would look at trying a new HU ground and when the HU is out of the dash check to see if the noise goes away.

I'll probably go do that now. It's gone with the Maxxlink in though...Now I'm just trying to figure out why there isn't any output. It almost looks like the two subs on my side aren't playing, but I can't tell for sure and I can't play it for long.

If you plug an ipod into the maxxlink in place of headunit signal and play a lets say 40hz tone, no output? You could put a dmm on the maxxlink output and at least see if a signal is coming out.

Seems you fix one problem and another occurs, they must be related in one way or another... I'm searching google my friend :P

IIRC the maxxlink is a line driver too, isn't it? If this is the case it will lower the EMI/EFI noise floor in the car, as well as amplify the signal to the amplifiers, making them require a lower gain setting. This would explain all the issues you are having.

First, as a line driver it will lower the introduced noise/desired signal ratio, reducing EMI/EFI introduction while the car is running. This will essentially mask any ground issues, RCA shielding issues, or any other input side noise introduction.

Second, when you removed it you decreased the input voltage (since you removed a line driver), which means you need to reset the gains correctly.

Finally, with regards to the RCA signal, you effectively double the input voltage by using a splitter. The voltage will remain the same across the split, so now instead of a single 2 volt input (for example) you now have 2 2 volt inputs for a final input voltage of 4 volts. Anyone who runs plate amps in their home system will tell you they have significantly more output from the amp when they use a splitter from the LFE out to the amp rather then a single LFE feed. There is no negative impact whatsoever in installing a y splitter.

It does have a built in line driver, variable 1-9 volts

Good catch Sandt

Edited by stefanhinote

Good deal. I didn't want to do all that typing only to find out it wasn't a line driver. Maybe if I wasn't so lazy i would have Googled it to be sure..

If you plug an ipod into the maxxlink in place of headunit signal and play a lets say 40hz tone, no output? You could put a dmm on the maxxlink output and at least see if a signal is coming out.

Seems you fix one problem and another occurs, they must be related in one way or another... I'm searching google my friend :P

I'll put the dmm on it in a lil while, I'm gonna go to the gym and mow, and just walk away from it for a lil while in general.

Here's the new problem. The ringing is gone, but there is no output. I believe that two of the subs aren't working, the two on the drivers side. I have it wired with the Maxxlink in exactly as it was wired and setup yesterday before I took the Maxxlink out.

I wish I would have at least taken a couple vids before I tried all of this lol.

IIRC the maxxlink is a line driver too, isn't it? If this is the case it will lower the EMI/EFI noise floor in the car, as well as amplify the signal to the amplifiers, making them require a lower gain setting. This would explain all the issues you are having.

First, as a line driver it will lower the introduced noise/desired signal ratio, reducing EMI/EFI introduction while the car is running. This will essentially mask any ground issues, RCA shielding issues, or any other input side noise introduction.

Second, when you removed it you decreased the input voltage (since you removed a line driver), which means you need to reset the gains correctly.

Finally, with regards to the RCA signal, you effectively double the input voltage by using a splitter. The voltage will remain the same across the split, so now instead of a single 2 volt input (for example) you now have 2 2 volt inputs for a final input voltage of 4 volts. Anyone who runs plate amps in their home system will tell you they have significantly more output from the amp when they use a splitter from the LFE out to the amp rather then a single LFE feed. There is no negative impact whatsoever in installing a y splitter.

So should I just re-unhook the Maxxlink, reset all of the gains on the amps to get them ready for the signal from the Maxxlink, then redo all of the settings on the Maxxlink? I will only need the splitters if I don't run the Maxxlink...Thanks for all of the info, it gives me a couple ideas to try.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

I would reinstall the Maxxlink. A line driver is very beneficial for noise in the system. While I am generally not a fan of Maxxsonix, I believe it will benefit the system as a whole. Having a line driver is a really nice feature, and with the noise issues you are having it just makes sense.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I would reinstall the Maxxlink. A line driver is very beneficial for noise in the system. While I am generally not a fan of Maxxsonix, I believe it will benefit the system as a whole. Having a line driver is a really nice feature, and with the noise issues you are having it just makes sense.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I reinstalled it and it got rid of the ringing, but I still don't have the output I used to have. I'm gonna reset everything and do it again i guess.

Well, I think I got the output back that i had before taking out the Maxxlink. Not I just gotta get rid of the ringing when the Maxxlink isn't in. The ground loop isolator didn't do anything when I tried it, maybe I gotta go get a new one or something.

Its either a bad ground or the headunit rca shields sound jacked since you say it happens when the car is running. Try an ipod directly connected to the amps when car is running this will help you figuring out if it as a headunit or ground issue.

I would continue to troubleshoot the noise issue. The Maxxlink is at best a bandaid, not a fix for the issue. You need to find the actual cause and eliminate it if possible, and then decide whether or not you want to use the Maxxlink.

Have you followed the Noise Troubleshooting Guide that is a sticky here on the forum?

Its either a bad ground or the headunit rca shields sound jacked since you say it happens when the car is running. Try an ipod directly connected to the amps when car is running this will help you figuring out if it as a headunit or ground issue.

How would I hook the Ipod up direct? I'm gonna be going over all suggestions listed tomorrow.

I would continue to troubleshoot the noise issue. The Maxxlink is at best a bandaid, not a fix for the issue. You need to find the actual cause and eliminate it if possible, and then decide whether or not you want to use the Maxxlink.

Have you followed the Noise Troubleshooting Guide that is a sticky here on the forum?

I'm gonna read through it now. Ya I would definitely like to fix the issue with or without the Maxxlink.