noidle22

HO alt brands/knowledge wanted

Hi, i'm in the market for a HO alt for my Hyundai Excel Australian spec, which has proved difficult, to say the least. I was opting for around 220-250A, running to a stock calcium battery, which doesn't do too bad actually, and 2 Stinger SPV70's, which'll be used to push a saz-3500D, (unsure of the sub/s atm) and a sax 100.4 (hopefully), for a daily driver, @ 1 ohm (the 3500D :P), with the possibility of taking it to some comps. I'm pretty sure my stock 70 amp alternator wont keep pace with those loads. My wanderings through this sub-forum led me to two brands in particular, after investigating most of them. These two were DC Power and Mechman. At this point you may be asking, "Why don't you just get a HO alt from Australia instead of getting one from here which will induce a hella lot of shipping?" My answer to that is, Australia isn't that big on high end car audio, and finding online stores that were dedicated to HO alt's were pretty much non existant. I'm willing to pay shipping so i can have good quality equipment in my car, that's the short of it.

I've emailed both DC Power and Mechman, and to be honest, i was expecting great results from DC Power because of what i've read, but not so much from Mechman. But as things have progressed, it's turned around. It's been weeks now, and after several follow-up emails, DC Power still haven't gotten back to me, whereas Mechman had an email sent within a day, quoting the price and some more info. After much conversing with Mechman, it's boiled down to a 220A alt, 135A at an 800rpm idle, reaching 220A rated output by 1.8k rpm, in a custom large case to fit my Aussie spec Excel. Total cost, $460 for the alt, $110 for shipping. As for the shipping, i'm quite happy with that. As for the $460 for a 220A alt, i'm not so sure.

Would i be able to get some ideas flowing about that price for the output i'm getting? And what kind of prices do the other brands offer for a similar rated alt?

I realise there's many topics already discussing alternators, but because i'm in Australia, it isn't really as simple as ordering an alt and getting it in a few days, if there's some problems it's a relatively simple return to the company etc. I want to be sure of what i'm paying for, and if i noobed it up by reasking a question, i'm sorry.

Also, on a side note, are there any other online stores other than ssa's store and db-r.com that offer sundown amps and incriminator, FI, SSA etc. subs?

Thanks heaps.

Hi, i'm in the market for a HO alt for my Hyundai Excel Australian spec, which has proved difficult, to say the least. I was opting for around 220-250A, running to a stock calcium battery, which doesn't do too bad actually, and 2 Stinger SPV70's, which'll be used to push a saz-3500D, (unsure of the sub/s atm) and a sax 100.4 (hopefully), for a daily driver, @ 1 ohm (the 3500D :P), with the possibility of taking it to some comps. I'm pretty sure my stock 70 amp alternator wont keep pace with those loads. My wanderings through this sub-forum led me to two brands in particular, after investigating most of them. These two were DC Power and Mechman. At this point you may be asking, "Why don't you just get a HO alt from Australia instead of getting one from here which will induce a hella lot of shipping?" My answer to that is, Australia isn't that big on high end car audio, and finding online stores that were dedicated to HO alt's were pretty much non existant. I'm willing to pay shipping so i can have good quality equipment in my car, that's the short of it.

I've emailed both DC Power and Mechman, and to be honest, i was expecting great results from DC Power because of what i've read, but not so much from Mechman. But as things have progressed, it's turned around. It's been weeks now, and after several follow-up emails, DC Power still haven't gotten back to me, whereas Mechman had an email sent within a day, quoting the price and some more info. After much conversing with Mechman, it's boiled down to a 220A alt, 135A at an 800rpm idle, reaching 220A rated output by 1.8k rpm, in a custom large case to fit my Aussie spec Excel. Total cost, $460 for the alt, $110 for shipping. As for the shipping, i'm quite happy with that. As for the $460 for a 220A alt, i'm not so sure.

Would i be able to get some ideas flowing about that price for the output i'm getting? And what kind of prices do the other brands offer for a similar rated alt?

I realise there's many topics already discussing alternators, but because i'm in Australia, it isn't really as simple as ordering an alt and getting it in a few days, if there's some problems it's a relatively simple return to the company etc. I want to be sure of what i'm paying for, and if i noobed it up by reasking a question, i'm sorry.

Also, on a side note, are there any other online stores other than ssa's store and db-r.com that offer sundown amps and incriminator, FI, SSA etc. subs?

Thanks heaps.

I had a similar problem.

Couldn't find a HO alternator for my Nissan Sentra.

Give DC a call, number is (1-951-509-5617)

When I called, they walked me through the process, asked a few questions, and gave me a quote right there.

Good luck.

Another brand you might have better luck with is Excessive Amperage, i emailed them and they got back to me within a day.

Not the worst price, but remember you get what you pay for so all in all its a good deal if you cant get in contact with DC Power (I had better luck calling them myself). Im paying $505 for a 275 alt so dont feel like your getting ripped off, its difficult to find h/o alternators for my car so I got to bite the bullet for that.

Not the worst price, but remember you get what you pay for so all in all its a good deal if you cant get in contact with DC Power (I had better luck calling them myself). Im paying $505 for a 275 alt so dont feel like your getting ripped off, its difficult to find h/o alternators for my car so I got to bite the bullet for that.

Yeah, my quote from DC for a 200 amp was $480. Not including shipping...

From Exccessive Amperage though it was $385.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Between getting way to many quotes for a single person. Here is a little article we wrote up not too long ago:

How many times have you heard one of our competition advertise you will get xxx output by 800 engine RPM’s and thought, WOW! That’s a lot of output! Well, what are they really telling you? Well, for one, they’re telling you that you’ll have xxx output at that engine RPM, but what does that MEAN to you? Well, for one they’re avoiding telling you what idle output really is on their alternator and telling you what it does *off* idle.. Let’s say they claim 165 amps by 800 engine RPM, but wait a minute you think, my car only idles at 550 RPM? Considering that with standard 3.5:1 pulley ratio, those 250 engine RPM’s equate to almost 900 alternator RPM’s, that could be a 100 amp difference between actual idle output and “output at 650 engine RPM’s” That can also mean the difference between being able to adequately supply your cars most basic needs, and a recipe for disaster. What DC quotes you is what it will do at YOUR vehicle idle without having to rev your engine to 800 RPMs to get xxx output. Hopefully that clarifies things :)

When did you become a member here, Kyle?

March 2nd 2009?? Not to call anyone out here but I have emailed DC Power twice a week ago with no response.

DC Power FTW!

Can contact Nathan here on the forum with XS Power and inquire about a Powermaster Alt.

March 2nd 2009?? Not to call anyone out here but I have emailed DC Power twice a week ago with no response.

Call them. That is the best way to contact them.

Call them. That is the best way to contact them.

This. They provide great customer service via phone. They seem pretty busy over there, but they always take my calls.

I recommend calling also. You will be able to discuss all the details ALOT EASIER over the phone, than back and forth and back and forth and back and forth with an email to talk about the details.

DC Power has ALWAYS anwsered my phone calls, ALWAYS.

Kyle from DC just sold me my HO alternator yesterday. He made it real nice and easy. I didn't bother with a phone call, I do understand that you don't live in the US so that's probably why you decided to email them. I am sure if you can get on the phone with kyle from DC or anyone else there i am sure they are all just as good as kyle was to me lol. I expect nothing but perfection from my alternator I know i will be pleased with it. I am getting the new XP series alt from them for my GMC Envoy, it does almost 200A at idle and the original price he told me was still fair. i believe it was close to $600 and then he it came down to the perfect price! i ordered on the spot! all questions where answered right away.

DC POWER FOR THE WIN :drink40::werd_msword:

I apologize for not getting to your emails. I get about 30 emails minimum a day and I'm on the phone pretty much the whole day I'm at the shop. I'm usually the only person answering the phone too. It seems to be getting better but everyone is right for a prompt response calling is the best solution. I do try my best for being one person handling all the communications usually. We are in development for hyaundai alternators as we speak and plan on doing our best to bring our xps to that market.