txhouse

Port Frequency?

I am trying to decide whether I want to go sealed or ported. My question is with tuning frequencies. Lets say that a subwoofers optimal tuning frequency is at 33hrtz and someone builty a box for 35hrtz, how would that effect the sound. And also what would the effect be if it was the opposite and designed a box at 27hrtz, how would that effect the sound.

Sorry if this question has been asking a bunch before but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

If you tune to 35 hz, you'll get a taller hump in frequency response above tuning and faster rolloff below tuning. If you tune to 27 hz the frequency response will be more flat. Basically, 35 hz will be louder, 27 hz will be more even.

Just FYI, it's the same for all subs. The higher you tune, the peakier the response will be.

All that "optimal tuning frequency" from the manufacturer means is that the woofer will respond how they want in that enclosure. Each manufacturer may have a different opinion on how they want the sub to sound. Some manufacturers want a smooth response from 30-80 hz, so maybe they'll recommend a tune of 30-33 hz. Some manufacturers may want you to think their subs are louder than everybody elses, so they'll tell you to tune to 40 hz (at the expense of low end). There are exceptions, but very few.

Just manufacturers playing the game :)

Yeah I'm looking at you DD and AQ :gayhaaay1:

Just manufacturers playing the game :)

Yeah I'm looking at you DD and AQ :gayhaaay1:

Pretty much the same company ;):ohnoes9: