BanginGMC

BIG speed bump in getting my SMDs bumpin

Okay guys i ran into a problem, i called DC Power and they said they DO NOT have a dual alternator kit for me and without one i WILL have major voltage drop.

(I TOLD THEM MY SYSTEM HAS 10,000 WATTS ~ rough estimate)

I DO NOT want to drop really low because this system will be a DAILY DRIVER, so i will be playing a lot and i don't want to limit the usage or anything of the sort because of voltage drop.

The biggest alternator DC Power had for me is a 320 Amp w/ 180 idle.

(I'd really like to go with this company)

The Sub Stage;

(2) 15" AA SMDs (3500W power handling ~per sub)

(2) AQ3500D.1 (1 ohm power @ 14.4V @ < 1% THD 4300W x 1 ~per amp)

(4) XS Power D3100s

The Front Stage;

(2) Alpine Type R 6.5 Component set

(1) PDX 4.100

Now! I did NOT buy the AudioQue amps yet, because DC Power told me i would have voltage drop...

(also only bought (2) D3100s so far, don't know if the other 2 will be needed now.)

(This is where you guys come in)

... I was thinking about going with a sub amp stage that'll satisfy both SMDs rated power, i want (1) sub amp that'll satisfy both untill a dual alternator kit comes out and then i'll upgrade my sub amp stage.

I tried calling DC to see if 7k will cause low voltage drops, but theyre close... do YOU think it will cause low drops?

Suggestions anyone?

have you tryed contacting tejcurrent on here? he's got his own section now, I believe thats what he does, makes bracket kits.

The more batteries the better for sure!

have you tryed contacting tejcurrent on here? he's got his own section now, I believe thats what he does, makes bracket kits.

The more batteries the better for sure!

I will contact tejcurrent now, thank you.

Look into Ohio Gen alts.

Andrew

Are they as reliable as DC Power? I've only heard great things about DC.

I texted you last night, did you get it?

Ohio gens are one of the best out there.

Yes I did, I replied this AM.

Andrew

I did not get it, please resend.

Also, i just read tejcurrent's section and he does not have a bracket for my truck available :suicide-santa:

Looking into Ohio Gen now.

..closed on weekends.

Edited by BanginGMC

Bump for any suggestions?

Amp suggestions? ~ roughly 7k @ 1ohm

Amp budget ~ 2 thousand

I remember reading a little while ago that Dominick Iraggi started making custom brackets for people too. You should talk to him.

Maybe they can make one huge alt, or get a larger battery bank and lots of run of 1/0.

Maybe they can make one huge alt, or get a larger battery bank and lots of run of 1/0.

You mean like one physically massive alternator? haha, that'd be ridiculous

Make one out of quarter inch thick wood. Then call around to welding shops and ask if they know who has a cnc plasma cutter or laser. Then take your wood pattern to the shop with the cnc cutter and have them copy it for you. Viola, dual alt bracket.

maybe 2 sundown saz3500 here ya go check this link out

Will a 320 amp alternator be able to handle the (2) SAZ-3500, with (2) XS Power D3100s, OR will i need two more D3100s?

Will a 320 amp alternator be able to handle the (2) SAZ-3500, with (2) XS Power D3100s, OR will i need two more D3100s?

I'd go for 2 more batts for sure you need a buffer to suply current in peaks its not a constant... don't be so affraid of a little voltage drop , with 320Amps you'll be just fine eventhough the amps will draw more at times

maybe 2 sundown saz3500 here ya go check this link out http://www.soundsolu...-amps-and-misc/

I'd go for 2 more batts for sure you need a buffer to suply current in peaks its not a constant... don't be so affraid of a little voltage drop , with 320Amps you'll be just fine eventhough the amps will draw more at times

X2 and +1

Well said BASSmaster.

Mechman is another company you could call. http://mechman.com/store/index.php/cPath/937

Otherwise make your own baby.:D

I'll give them a call tomorrow, along with ohio gen.

A little voltage drop isn't an issue to me, 12's though is something i DO NOT want. Low 13's i can deal with at peaks, now when you say "with 320Amps you'll be just fine eventhough the amps will draw more at times" you mean there will be more current draw then the alt can handle and i'll get voltage drop but it wont put to much strain on my electrical?

NOW, there is a fat chance that i'll get the SAZ3500 in the "cleaning house thread" just because of it takes them so long to reply..if i even get a reply.

How much more current draw is AQ3500s compaired to the SAZ3500s?

DC told me that i would have voltage drop, "there's no way you won't get voltage drop running that much power, we don't have anything big enough for you at the moment"

I don't know how much drop he was talking about..

Do you guy think i'll be able to run the AQs with (4) D3100s off (1) 320 amp alt?

I'm thinking about getting 1 AQ3500 for both subs until i get a better electrical.... i would just kick myself in the ass because it wouldn't be nearly close to full potential.

I think alot will depend on your personal listening habits. All you can do is keep upgrading/adding/testing with your system to really know for sure.

Just remember to plan ahead as necessary.

I think alot will depend on your personal listening habits. All you can do is keep upgrading/adding/testing with your system to really know for sure.

Just remember to plan ahead as necessary.

Well, if my license doesn't get suspended (handling all that fun stuff now) i'll be listening to the system every time i drive.. i'm the kind of person that can drive for days, as long as i have a system to listen too.

I want to go with the biggest amp(s) that my electrical can handle, because i know once i start getting everything wired and tuned i will not want to re-do it all later on..

The problem i have here is, i have no clue on whats the biggest amp(s) i can go with without putting a really bad strain on my electrical

Help?

Music is dynamic and will not be pulling the full wattage continuously.

I'll contribute a little........I have a DC 320 amp alt (150 @ idle) and was running a stetsom 7k2e to a 15" SMD sub in a Toyota Yaris. I have 300 amp fuses wherever they need to be and a STOCK battery. Big 3 in 1/0 w/ an extra 1/0 from alt. adjusting arm to batt neg. One run of 1/0 (+&-) to the Stetsom in the trunk & I was using jumper cable as speaker wire, haha.

Now after getting the entire system o-scoped, the Stetsom was clamped @ a little over 3000 watts @ ~60 hz. With another run of 1/0 and two Kinetik 2000's I think I would have seen 4000+. As far as daily driving I push my equipment pretty hard. At idle I could drop all the way down to 10 volt if I wanted to w/ that amp but while driving and staying above 2000+ rpm............ voltage stayed pretty solid 14.0+

Sounds to me like you want to run 7k rms (as I had a 7k amp but only saw 3000 rms at best) so I'd say w/ a 320 amp DC alt and two XS 3100's you should be alright WHILE DRIVING. At idle, probly see voltage drop, who knows maybe not.

300 amps out to the batts should be over 3000 watts (if you get the 300+ amps) to the batts for charging. Now two d3100's as secondary batts should be able to supply power up to a 10,000 watt system iirc.

All in all, I think you good, two more batts even better. Another alt your golden. Sorry for the "Novel" bro.

I'll contribute a little........I have a DC 320 amp alt (150 @ idle) and was running a stetsom 7k2e to a 15" SMD sub in a Toyota Yaris. I have 300 amp fuses wherever they need to be and a STOCK battery. Big 3 in 1/0 w/ an extra 1/0 from alt. adjusting arm to batt neg. One run of 1/0 (+&-) to the Stetsom in the trunk & I was using jumper cable as speaker wire, haha.

Now after getting the entire system o-scoped, the Stetsom was clamped @ a little over 3000 watts @ ~60 hz. With another run of 1/0 and two Kinetik 2000's I think I would have seen 4000+. As far as daily driving I push my equipment pretty hard. At idle I could drop all the way down to 10 volt if I wanted to w/ that amp but while driving and staying above 2000+ rpm............ voltage stayed pretty solid 14.0+

Sounds to me like you want to run 7k rms (as I had a 7k amp but only saw 3000 rms at best) so I'd say w/ a 320 amp DC alt and two XS 3100's you should be alright WHILE DRIVING. At idle, probly see voltage drop, who knows maybe not.

300 amps out to the batts should be over 3000 watts (if you get the 300+ amps) to the batts for charging. Now two d3100's as secondary batts should be able to supply power up to a 10,000 watt system iirc.

All in all, I think you good, two more batts even better. Another alt your golden. Sorry for the "Novel" bro.

Yes, all D3100s are secondary!!! None under the hood! I forgot to mention that.

Don't be sorry for the novel, its exactly what i wanted!

How did you like the SMD on 3k? What did you have your box tuned too? Do you have ANY videos?

How do you like the Alt from DC? Have you tested it to see if it does what it claims?

I just got off the phone with Andrew from Argent Audio, he called because he noticed i was in a pickle and he let me know he's a dealer for Sundown Audio and we talked about getting me a couple SAZ-3500s :D

OH! and we should see some more pictures on the box tonight :)

..i realized i asked a bunch of questions lol

Edited by BanginGMC

The stetsom w/ the SMD was a killer combo. To me it sounded really good. The sub took the power very well mechanical and thermal. My box is 4.0^3 @ 31 hz w/ 28^2 port area. I need way more port area. The DC alt seems to be animal, havn't clamped it yet but I do have a meter just need a second pair of hands (the wife is not really into this shit haha).

Look up typicaljawaiian808 on youtube, I have videos

144.4 @ 38 hz is my personal best out of the trunk. I'll meter again after I get another run of 1/0 and the two Kinetik 2000's

I was thinking about getting the 7k2e for both of the SMDs but Andrew called me and i figured i'd go with that.

I seen your videos on youtube before and am watching some now.

How does the sundown amp like the voltage its getting compared to the 7k2e?

A lot better, imlooking to strap another 3000d to it, waiting for a reply from sundownz though. Your setup should get very loud!