Sign in to follow this  
hatrix

Buzzing through speakers

Today i hooked an amp up to my front stage. Sounds great, except for the buzzing i can hear when music is paused.

My amp for the front stage is grounded the same way my amp for my sub is, and yet i still get buzzing. It's kind of a high pitched buzzing, with really high pitched sounds mixed in that kind of fluctuate. It only buzzes when there's a source though. Once i plug my iphone into the head unit, the buzzing starts. And using the touch screen on the iphone, such as scrolling, makes a sound. I can hear it whenever i scroll with the screen.

My head unit can't be the problem. I used to have a low rumble with my sub (like this buzzing) and i fixed the ground on my head unit and it went away.

I have only one set of RCAs out from my headunit, so one set goes from one amp to the other. Maybe thats creating the noise ?

Hifonics HFi100.2

Is it through 3.5mm headphone jack? Then that's your problem! The cause of this buzzing has to do with GSM's "time division" nature. With GSM the RF transmitter is turned on/off at a fast rate, and that 'pulsing' is often picked up by nearby devices that don't have good RF shielding. In the case of GSM the pulse rate is 217 Hz, which can be easily heard."

Check your grounds and try turning your phone onto Airplane mode.

:werd_msword:

Nope its through an iPod cable that come with the deck. I can try airplane mode though and see if it makes a difference.

Nope its through an iPod cable that come with the deck. I can try airplane mode though and see if it makes a difference.

On my old Iphone 3g my old Alpine deck would sometimes start to buzz, i just got a longer USB cord and put it further away from my HU and that solved the problem.

On my old Iphone 3g my old Alpine deck would sometimes start to buzz, i just got a longer USB cord and put it further away from my HU and that solved the problem.

Well, its not USB, it plugs ino the back of the headunit. Whatever the connection is, i don't know.

Well, its not USB, it plugs ino the back of the headunit. Whatever the connection is, i don't know.

Oh you have a proprietary end of the plug, i see.

Oh you have a proprietary end of the plug, i see.

Yep. And this buzzing is going to drive me insane. I can't really hear it when musics playing, but still.

I redid every single ground in my car. Sanded paint off of the chasis, and screwed down the grounds with a piece of metal over them. Re ran the ground from my head unit to the back where the grounds from my amps are. Sanded paint on the engine bay for the grounds running from the battery.

It made the buzzing a LOT quieter, but I can still hear it. And I don't know why.

Well, process of elimination says its your grounds. if it made it quieter then you found the problem. I would just keep fixing your grounds and see what happens. It could just be a bad cord. they're usually the main problem when it comes to buzzing.

Ok, I took pictures of all my grounds so someone could maybe point out a bad ground(s) (this is my first install).

Grounds coming off battery:

0000041v.jpg

First ground:

0000039d.jpg

Second ground:

0000040.jpg

First amps ground:

0000045b.jpg

Second amps ground & head unit ground (no metal behind head unit to ground to):

0000043.jpg

id say throw some ring terminals on end of those ground wires but thats just me though

Edited by PT3005

id say throw some ring terminals on end of those ground wires but thats just me though

Well i just wouldn't know where to hook them to then. Guess i would have to get some washers and more self tapping screws. I kinda just bolted them down, and they definitely aren't moving. There's ring terminals to the battery obviously..... but that's it.

Edited by hatrix

take a new wire and add the ground to each device one at a time til the noise is gone this might let you know which ground is bad

take a new wire and add the ground to each device one at a time til the noise is gone this might let you know which ground is bad

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to buy more 4 gauge though, I'm out.

Tried the pico fuse fix by soldering the connection. Didn't fix the buzzing :(

I also re routed my RCAs before that, which did nothing either.

Edited by hatrix