Sign in to follow this  
Deathwish238

Ported or Sealed?

well I wasn't having any luck with WinISD. So I'm asking the experts. I have a Scion tC and need to have as much trunk as possible. I know sealed is most always smaller than ported boxes....but aren't as loud but have better SQ generally. I want the sub to be hit 30Hz at -3dB. I play a lot of rap, metal, and trance and I want it all to be able to sound good. What size sealed box and what size & tuning ported box should I get to fit my needs?

well I wasn't having any luck with WinISD.  So I'm asking the experts.  I have a Scion tC and need to have as much trunk as possible.  I know sealed is most always smaller than ported boxes....but aren't as loud but have better SQ generally.  I want the sub to be hit 30Hz at -3dB.  I play a lot of rap, metal, and trance and I want it all to be able to sound good.  What size sealed box and what size & tuning ported box should I get to fit my needs?

I was extremely impressed with the 12" in a 2.0 cube, @ 28hz, you could probably tune @32 to get a little more SPL out of it with no loss in SQ, but 1.25 sealed I believe is the sweet spot for sealed

Sealed. WinISD just gives you an idea if you put the driver in that box in a very big anechoic chamber. It has nothing to do with in-car response. Sealed sealed sealed.

What if he had a sub that wasnt made for ported enclosures......

I do.

What if he had a sub that wasnt made for ported enclosures......

I do.

You can use pretty much any driver in any enclosure provided it's designed properly...as I've said before, there are no "strictly sealed" or "strictly ported" drivers.

Plus, he wouldn't be asking in the SI forum if he didn't have one of our subs...

I dont believe that my 12o.44 is dewsigned for a ported enclosure.

He couldve had another woofer, nothing was specficied

I dont believe that my 12o.44 is dewsigned for a ported enclosure.

He couldve had another woofer, nothing was specficied

There is no need to play devil's advocate here.

So 1.25 sealed or 2.0 ported to 32 Hz is what I'm hearing.

Yes I'm getting a Magnum D2 or I wouldn't posted in the Stereo Integrity section of this forum...that would be dumb :Doh:

Krazie - I hope that's more than 1.25 cu ft cause you have very little trunk space left and I was hoping to have more than that to work with.

Thanks for the replies guys

:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

People post in the wrong section all the time on "that other forum" all the time.....

I generally tend to make my enclosures as wide as possible to use up all the width and not the depth.

You can get more cargo in the trunk that way.

If you can, you could always do a ported wedge enclosure to maximize all the space you have

Ok, the bickering needs to stop. Like Damian said, he wouldn't be posting in the SI section about ported or sealed if he didn't a- purchase a driver, b- already own a driver, or c- was thinking about getting a driver from us. I'm pretty quick to address posts that don't belong in my section of the forum, so don't worry about people posting about RF/eD/MTX/whatever drivers in here b/c they will be shortly re-routed and/or closed/deleted.

Basically, keep it on topic. Don't stray like this thread did on the first page.

So 1.25 sealed or 2.0 ported to 32 Hz is what I'm hearing.

Yes I'm getting a Magnum D2 or I wouldn't posted in the Stereo Integrity section of this forum...that would be dumb  :Doh:

Krazie - I hope that's more than 1.25 cu ft cause you have very little trunk space left and I was hoping to have more than that to work with.

Thanks for the replies guys

:rockwoot: :rockwoot:  :rockwoot:  :rockwoot:  :rockwoot:

1.25 to 1.5 sealed and if you go to 2 cubes I would tune lower. Basically look at what we have on our web page and go from there. Recommended enclosures are listed on both the 12" and 15" web page. The 12's will obtain a Qtc of a .707 in 0.7 cubic feet, but good luck fitting it in something that tiny. :P

Ok, the bickering needs to stop.  Like Damian said, he wouldn't be posting in the SI section about ported or sealed if he didn't a- purchase a driver, b- already own a driver, or c- was thinking about getting a driver from us.  I'm pretty quick to address posts that don't belong in my section of the forum, so don't worry about people posting about RF/eD/MTX/whatever drivers in here b/c they will be shortly re-routed and/or closed/deleted. 

Basically, keep it on topic.  Don't stray like this thread did on the first page.

I kept it on topic.

The differences would be the 2 cube ported would go lower than the 1.5 ported and both ported boxes would be louder than the sealed box down to the box's tuning frequency. The sealed box will take up much less room, still give great output, but be about -3 dB in overall output compared to the ported enclosures. Accuracy should maintain all around, with the sealed box coming out a fraction above ported - no huge difference though.

I also have a Scion TC, the trunks are awfully small, but I will still put 2 12's in the back while also fitting the extra battery and amps.

I'm going to do mags, and see how they compare to the XXX's I had.

I also have a Scion TC, the trunks are awfully small, but I will still put 2 12's in the back while also fitting the extra battery and amps.

yeah I finally got my car this past weekend. I have 1/2 the trunk space I used to(an old accord). I'm definately going to have to stick to the 1.25 cu ft sealed box as I need some trunk space left :P

Thanks for all your help guys.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

yeah I finally got my car this past weekend. I have 1/2 the trunk space I used to(an old accord). I'm definately going to have to stick to the 1.25 cu ft sealed box as I need some trunk space left :P

Thanks for all your help guys.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

good luck and post some pix