vwfamily

Which crossover would you use ...

So If I have the ZED Leviathan amp and the AudioControl DQL-8, and they both have crossovers.

1. Which would you use, the crossover in the ZED amp or the crossover in the AC DQL-8's?

2. Why?

BTW the Leviathan and EQL-8 are going into two(2) sets of Bravox Audio CS60K components and one(1) SSA DCON 12D4.

Please don't recommend anything other than the two crossovers available in the two units mentioned.

TIA!

:fing34:

Neither have any sort of flexibility, so then the question becomes what do you need in a crossover and which one comes closer to doing that for you. As crossovers they don't cut the mustard, but since we can't offer a solution that does it would help to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Neither have any sort of flexibility, so then the question becomes what do you need in a crossover and which one comes closer to doing that for you. As crossovers they don't cut the mustard, but since we can't offer a solution that does it would help to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

I guess I just see that both of those pieces have a crossover, so I will use one. Either the one on the ZED amp or the one in the AC LOC.

I just wonder simply which one is best? Is one better than the other? Does it even matter which one I use?

It's the equipment I have available an my starting goal was a budget friendly SQ system. Just need to crossover my two sets of comps an my sub. Simple as that.

Don't know if that tells you anything to help me make my decision.

If you just want to crossover some passive components and a sub, I would use the Zed. Use the saved the money from the audio control to buy some sound deadener. That will help your SQ more then the AC will.

I guess I just see that both of those pieces have a crossover, so I will use one. Either the one on the ZED amp or the one in the AC LOC.

I just wonder simply which one is best? Is one better than the other? Does it even matter which one I use?

It's the equipment I have available an my starting goal was a budget friendly SQ system. Just need to crossover my two sets of comps an my sub. Simple as that.

Don't know if that tells you anything to help me make my decision.

Can't answer which is best yet, AC has a crappy site and it doesn't show shit on that units crossovers. I clicked on some of the links and they don't work so I can't tell you there.

However, if your goals are as bolded above you should be doing things differently. First, get rid of the idea of adding a second set of components. Second, I'd look at the MS-8 instead of the AC unit. And third, you will REALLY need to focus on the installation which includes deadening and appropriately mounting everything on rigid baffles and so on. If you just bolt the list of equipment you cited in your car in the stock locations it really won't sound all that good. Installation is 90% of the battle, the equipment 10%.

However, if your goals are as bolded above you should be doing things differently. First, get rid of the idea of adding a second set of components. Second, I'd look at the MS-8 instead of the AC unit. And third, you will REALLY need to focus on the installation which includes deadening and appropriately mounting everything on rigid baffles and so on. If you just bolt the list of equipment you cited in your car in the stock locations it really won't sound all that good. Installation is 90% of the battle, the equipment 10%.

Preach on brother, preach on.

OP, it's all about the installation. I would say, for now, use the crossover's on the Zed since they're there, but once you have everything installed correctly you'll want to change up to something like what M5 suggested and there's other's out there as well. Even on a budget SQ system you should not limit yourself to so few choices and remember there's much more to what's going on to make it "SQ" than the crossover's, speakers, amps, etc. that you choose.

My suggestion please, Use one component set with the passive crossovers that came with the components. Then run them off radio power for starters. spend time, time, and more time to find correct speaker placement for staging and imaging. Then add amp later in the installation process. This is before ANY bass work is done.

Honestly, nothing is "cheap" for correct SQ setup. The most expensive thing in your system is time and dedication to speaker placement and installation process to a SQ system.

again, just my suggestions for a starter SQ system. best of luck to ya sir. :popcorn:

My suggestion please, Use one component set with the passive crossovers that came with the components. Then run them off radio power for starters. spend time, time, and more time to find correct speaker placement for staging and imaging. Then add amp later in the installation process. This is before ANY bass work is done.

Honestly, nothing is "cheap" for correct SQ setup. The most expensive thing in your system is time and dedication to speaker placement and installation process to a SQ system.

again, just my suggestions for a starter SQ system. best of luck to ya sir. :popcorn:

Great advice, although I'd add an amp from the get go but used really conservatively.

My only reason for no amps was to eliminate all possibilities for noise while testing.

Turn off/on, RCAs, bad grounds, gains, Things like that. Also anything else that could possibly interfere with left and right separation, and correct phaseing.

Hope this helps some ... thanks, Randal ...

I took the original post by the understanding he didn't have the intention of going active, just crossover capability between the components and the sub.... guess I understood that wrong. :shrug::peepwall:

I took the original post by the understanding he didn't have the intention of going active, just crossover capability between the components and the sub.... guess I understood that wrong. :shrug::peepwall:

That's how we took it too.

That's how we took it too.

OP here ... and yes that is correct. No intention of going active.

I am going to sound deaden, baffles on the door speakers I probably already have to do because the OE size is for a 7".

As far as having two sets of comps. Well I know many audiophiles don't use rear stage BUT I like it. Always have. BTW I got Bravox comps in the group buy so it save me $ and I got better speakers than I would have without the group buy. BLESS YOU SSA!

I am a guy with a new car that has a not so good system in it and want to upgrade the sound. Not for SPL but for SQ. I am on a budget, and don't plan on entering any competitions or anything like that.

IF I had no limit in $ then I would go all out and do everything a true audiophile would do, BUT I think I am a wanna be audiophile. I actually think that's not really a bad thing.

Anyhow, you folks gave me some ideas and I will do what I can. I know whatever I do I am going to try and do it right and get the most band for my buck.

This forum is great I tell ya! Hahaha

I'm looking at that ZED amp too, one reason is because of how flexible the xover is on that amp. That is also why I'd choose the amps xover over the AC.

We jumped in there and gave it our best shot bro !!! Hope you enjoy your new system. Post alot of pics and tell us what you think of the setup. Thanks ... Randal

As far as having two sets of comps. Well I know many audiophiles don't use rear stage BUT I like it. Always have.

EVERY person that has told me that changes their tune instantly when hearing a properly setup 2 chn system. With no exceptions. Be careful thinking you know what you want without experiencing the other. In particular since your request was for SQ.

As far as having two sets of comps. Well I know many audiophiles don't use rear stage BUT I like it. Always have.

EVERY person that has told me that changes their tune instantly when hearing a properly setup 2 chn system. With no exceptions. Be careful thinking you know what you want without experiencing the other. In particular since your request was for SQ.

OK, well I know what rear fill does to sound stage and such but the reason I even mention SQ is because before I posted anything on this or any other mobile audio sound forums I read a lot of post. It seemed like when anyone was asking for advice on a new set-up like I have been and am planning the question of what are your end goals came up. Often asking is it SQ or SPL. In my youth I would have answered SPL. Now that I am a bit older I know I would put SQ over SPL. The only reason I even decided to pretty much overhaul my whole sound system in my brand new vehicle is because the stock system sounded mediocre at best. If it had sound pretty good, then I probably would have just added a sub and a sub amp.

Anyhow I know there are some serious sound enthusiast who consider them selves audiophiles. If I had the time and money for equipment and to tune etc. ect. I too would most likely evolve into this type of audio enthusiast. For now I just want some better sound. Not necessarily loud so everyone a block or two away can hear it, but so I can crank the volume up on occasion for myself while I'm in my car and have it sound good while doing so.

BTW I experimented with driving around, as was suggested somewhere, with only my front speakers running. The fader was set forward all the way. So after a week I went back and was like wow. I miss that kinda surround sound I was getting with all four doors playing the music. I just prefer and like rear fill. I'm pretty sure I know what I want and my OP was about crossovers, and which was best to use. The amps or the DSP's.

Anyhow thanks for your input. I have changed my mind quite a few times while building and buy the pieces to my new system, and recently have decided that I will save my pennies and try the JBL MS-8. I have heard a lot of good thing about it. BTW having rear fill while using the MS-8 is pretty much essential to the Logic 7 function it has if you don't have a center speaker.

Thanks again everyone!