Shogen

Would like to get into a SSA Dcon

So I've heard some amazing things about this sub and willing to plunge into if you guys can agree and give some advice...

Review Info I've found:

DIYMA

Caraudio.com

Current sub amp is a Kenwood KAC-X810d - I believe these stats are:

12v output : 300w @ 4ohms or 600w @ 2ohms

14v output : 400w @ 4ohms or 800w @ 2ohms

I used to have a dual bandpass setup with 2 10" JLs and feel I've outgrown the boomy sound and low sq... w3 version of the JL sub btw...

I am looking at the SSA Dcon 12" and was wondering if it can take the 600w daily because this is my ride to work... If so I would purchase the Dual 4ohm version and run the amp at 2ohms knowing fully that I might not even be sustaining 14v so it would be in the middle somewhere at most.. Otherwise I would get the Single VC version and run my amp..

I just purchased a newer battery (going to install soon) ... Kinetik HC1800 so I'm hoping that with that installed and a BIG 3 upgrade I can keep some 12v consistently with my somewhat dull alternator...

Is there another sub I could look at in the mean time before I make my final decision.. I was looking into Diamond Audio 12" subs and Audioque sdc2.5 as well but seem to find more about the SSA than the others.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.... Thanks in advanced fellas

You can try it, but i would be very careful. Personally I would run it at 4ohm. They are efficient little suckers from what I hear.

Agreed. Superbly efficient in the 300-350w range of power. There are several reviews and youtube vids w/folks running these subs in this range of power and getting incredible results.

:fing34:

The DCON is a great buy.

You will want to keep the gain down as these are very efficient drivers on low power. But the added head room would be beneficial later on if you plan on adding another woofer.

An option to think about is a single 4 ohm 12" to start and then add another down the road and run the pair on your amp at 2 ohm!

nice to see such quick replies and I was thinking of possibly adding another woofer.... I honestly would like to keep whatever amp I have running subs to be 4ohms if and when possible to keep the output efficiency stable...

I do want to possibly pick up a Khaotik enclosure as well when I make my purchase. So let's say my system is running upwards of 14.4v and for arguments sake the amp is dishing out 400w, would this be bad for daily usage or am I in the safe zone until 500w like I've read on a few different places...

Anyway, my goal on this setup is to get near the output of my JL with the sq I have been desiring for a while now. Would the Dcon def then do it for me?

What are your idead on enclosures? I am 100% going sealed for sake of size and response(flat) ... Are these Khaotik enclosures as nice as they look? Any recommendations or places you shop for boxes?

Edited by Shogen

You should fine!

Do not use any kind of bass boost on the amp.

You will be amazed at the output of these woofers! I have a DCON 10" and it was very impressive in output and sound quality.

You should fine!

You will be amazed at the output of these woofers! I have a DCON 10" and it was very impressive in output and sound quality.

So you currently have a 10" Dcon? What amp are you using? the one in your sig? As far as your sig goes, all that power you got going and you don't have a more powerful battery? Is your alternator just that good on your truck?

My badd for the double post... How about a Sundown SA-10? Looks like a great woofer but not too sure about power requirements, does it do well with less that rated power? With my 300w - 400w?

You should fine!

So you currently have a 10" Dcon? What amp are you using? the one in your sig? As far as your sig goes, all that power you got going and you don't have a more powerful battery? Is your alternator just that good on your truck?

Sig is a little out dated!

I will be adding to the electrical as time and money allow.

I ran my DCON 10" D4 off my Sundown SAZ-1000D at 600 watts rms. Gain was very conservatively set and never had an issue with it. It was in a 1.33ft^3 ported enclosure tuned to 33hz. I never did run it sealed.

Underpowering is fine, you won't hurt a thing OP :)

Underpowering is fine, you won't hurt a thing OP :)

In terms of sound output, I know some drivers to be inefficient so I am taking your answer as this driver as well as the SSA Dcon to be "very" efficient.... Yes?

OP, all the SSA subs are still flat even when ported, so dont let that deter you from porting it.

Tune to SSA's recommendations and you will be quite surprised with the output. Listen to Duran and 98, they have first hand experience.

Yes it is, I did an installation with a 12" DCON powered by a Rockford Fosgate 200.2

12" DCON in Mazda Protege5 - SSA Car Audio Forum

Nice just read through that thread a moment ago... So I'm biting on the ported theory for this setup now.. Obviously you have the means and skillz

in order to create this kind of beast of a box. I have a Camry so I guess I could go this route without an issue. I guess I was getting my head filled with the idea of a smaller box and saving some space.

I don't want to go to my local shops, as cool as some of the guys are I've never actually seen a box that I thought was worth the money they charge.. Where do you suggest I look for a box besides the Khaotik available here... ???

OP, all the SSA subs are still flat even when ported, so dont let that deter you from porting it.

Tune to SSA's recommendations and you will be quite surprised with the output. Listen to Duran and 98, they have first hand experience.

Yea, okay you've got me going now...lol... So besides the Khaotik enclosures here, where do you suggest I look for a box???

Argent builds excellent enclosures and he has a section here on the forum, but honestly those Khaotik boxes are looking damn nice and the price is good IMO. Maybe hit up Argent and see what your more comfortable with. He does excellent work from what i have seen.

You could build it yourself. There are plenty of people and posts here that can help you.

Take a look at some of the free box designs in the tech section and see if one of those would work.

Yes it is, I did an installation with a 12" DCON powered by a Rockford Fosgate 200.2

12" DCON in Mazda Protege5 - SSA Car Audio Forum

Nice just read through that thread a moment ago... So I'm biting on the ported theory for this setup now.. Obviously you have the means and skillz

in order to create this kind of beast of a box. I have a Camry so I guess I could go this route without an issue. I guess I was getting my head filled with the idea of a smaller box and saving some space.

I don't want to go to my local shops, as cool as some of the guys are I've never actually seen a box that I thought was worth the money they charge.. Where do you suggest I look for a box besides the Khaotik available here... ???

Yea, okay you've got me going now...lol... So besides the Khaotik enclosures here, where do you suggest I look for a box???

+2 on Argent Audio.

I am having a box built by them to SSA specs at the OPTIMAL dimensions and tuning for the 12d4. I saw his handy work on Cocooks83 and was sold. The Khaotik boxes look awesome. The single ported box is just a little bigger than recommended and tuned a little higher also. However if you ave the room I'm sure they would sound awesome w/a DCON in them.

Argent is just ok... j/k (they are great)

Khaotik enclosures are on intro pricing at the moment, don't lose out on it! They have great output and are perfect for all SSA subs.

Either way you go, you will be more then happy.

Argent builds excellent enclosures and he has a section here on the forum, but honestly those Khaotik boxes are looking damn nice and the price is good IMO. Maybe hit up Argent and see what your more comfortable with. He does excellent work from what i have seen.

You could build it yourself. There are plenty of people and posts here that can help you.

Take a look at some of the free box designs in the tech section and see if one of those would work.

So I looked around a bit, not only am I very anxious but I also do not have the materials nor time to create a box unfortunately. 6-day work weeks 50 weeks in the year makes life short for free time.

Didn't find this Argent fello, but I am really thinking about this Khaotik stuff, problem is shipping from SSA store is something less than desirable.. Will fork it over for the subwoofer but that box adds like 60 beans into the mix just for shipping.. I might go GroundShaker route since most of you fellas are into your own building.. Unless you have a source from which to obtain them??? This argent is hard to find though.... lulz

Argent Audio has a forum right here on SSA. I highly suggest porting the Dcon, even if you went with the smaller suggested size. :)