SilkySmoove

No Love for Sundown!!!!

So if you want to start your own shop, your job is trying to be the best in your town, then make that demo vehicle of all sundown stuff, if any one walks in just tell them to state their budget goals etc, then you give them there options, you can say you can go with KICKER and have ghetto ass bass, or go with sundown for clean and heart pounding bass and just give them a little test of yours and I'm pretty sure they won't regret it.

So if you want to start your own shop, your job is trying to be the best in your town, then make that demo vehicle of all sundown stuff, if any one walks in just tell them to state their budget goals etc, then you give them there options, you can say you can go with KICKER and have ghetto ass bass, or go with sundown for clean and heart pounding bass and just give them a little test of yours and I'm pretty sure they won't regret it.

:rolleyes::huh:

And then the customer turns around and walks out the door, and you just lost a sale.

It's easy to say "you could just" when it's not your money, paycheck and business on the line. Badmouthing another product to try to sell your own is a pretty terrible sales tactic, and one that's sure to drive the customer straight out of the door. Just the same as the people on here get offended when the shops bad mouth Sundown, a customer is definitely going to get offended when you bad mouth a product they own or like in order to push Sundown. If a customer walks in the door with $500 for a couple subs and an amp, if you can't meet their needs they are going to go somewhere that can. If a customer walks in looking for a specific product, if you can't mee their needs, they are going to go somewhere that can. Pushing Sundown on everyone who walks through the door is going to put a smaller shop out of business pretty quickly. A lot of people already have a pretty good idea of what they want before they walk through the door. If you can't meet their request, they're going to go elsewhere. A business owners goal is to make money. The way to make money is to offer products the customers desire, not to only sell them products you like. That's the route to failure.

I'm not saying that no shop should carry Sundown or other smaller companies. Certainly it can work well for certain shops. But it is not going to be the right fit for every shop's business model, making it sound like it should be simply means you don't understand business.

:rolleyes::huh:

And then the customer turns around and walks out the door, and you just lost a sale.

It's easy to say "you could just" when it's not your money, paycheck and business on the line. Badmouthing another product to try to sell your own is a pretty terrible sales tactic, and one that's sure to drive the customer straight out of the door. Just the same as the people on here get offended when the shops bad mouth Sundown, a customer is definitely going to get offended when you bad mouth a product they own or like in order to push Sundown. If a customer walks in the door with $500 for a couple subs and an amp, if you can't meet their needs they are going to go somewhere that can. If a customer walks in looking for a specific product, if you can't mee their needs, they are going to go somewhere that can. Pushing Sundown on everyone who walks through the door is going to put a smaller shop out of business pretty quickly. A lot of people already have a pretty good idea of what they want before they walk through the door. If you can't meet their request, they're going to go elsewhere. A business owners goal is to make money. The way to make money is to offer products the customers desire, not to only sell them products you like. That's the route to failure.

I'm not saying that no shop should carry Sundown or other smaller companies. Certainly it can work well for certain shops. But it is not going to be the right fit for every shop's business model, making it sound like it should be simply means you don't understand business.

Well put. You can't force A product on the customer. You find out what they are looking for and what there budget is. And most only want to spend 400-500 for there whole setup. The customer that come in and wants to spend 2-3k I'll be more then happy to set them up with a nice sundown setup. But for 400-500 there is no way to make that happen. In the last 6 month I've only had 1 customer to spend more then 2k in 1 pop. And half of that was spend on remote start/alarm and window tint. What you guys are not seeing is that most people spend 500 or less. Most of the money made at my shop is window tint, alarms and installing junk people buy from the pawn shops. The person that comes in and spend 2-3k are not a every day thing. May around tax time I'll pull some Sundown in. People have more money to spend and don't mind spending it.

I'm not saying gettng all sundown, because there are mainstream brands out their that are cheap and good, so what I am saying OP is that do not stop carrying the mainstream just make sure you carry a variety, and get it from a good source because sometimes for mainstream brands its not really wholesale, come to L.A and I'll show you real wholesale, But just carry a variety of products whichever satisfies your customer will satisfy you.

Edited by cheese20323

Shops can pretty easily sell product the customer hasn't heard of if they are willing to explain and demonstrate the benefits. Shops that we have that do just a little extra work make plenty of sales this way. It's not difficult... set up a demo area with product A and product B and let them see and hear it.

I'm not just saying this... shops that do it move alot of our products. It's proven time and again to work.

The "issue" I suppose is if a shop wants people to walk in and ask for something and make a sale without any leg-work. In that case a larger brand is easier to move... provided the customer hasn't been online and seen it for the dealers cost or less, of course.

Like I said, it can work in certain shops. But with the way some of the members in here were blaspheming some shops for not carrying the brand, I think it's important to realize 1) there are disadvantages and 2) the simple fact that it's simply not going to fit every shop's business model or customer base. As thecartel has pointed out, his bread-n-butter is the $500 system market. Does that suck? Sure it does. I'm sure every shop wishes they could sell the product they wanted rather than what the customer demanded. If someone is open-minded and walking into the shop looking at a $2k system then yes, that may a decent selling opportunity depending on the financial condition of the shop to afford to carry some extra inventory in the hopes of selling it to a customer. But upselling a customer from a $500 system to a $700 amplifier is no small feat regardless of your salesmanship abilities. Having buy in inventory sit around waiting for the prime customers to walk in the door, that's tied up capital that may have better utilization for the shop.

My point is simply that it's not a one-size-fits-all situation, and I didn't see many others making that point. Just a lot of complaining about shop X not carrying brand Y without thinking of reasons why that may be the case.

Honestly... we have some pretty affordable stuff out.

SAX-1200D : 375 MAP

2x SA-12s : 378 MAP

---

$753.00

A local retailer can get a pretty competitive system in for a customer for $1000 installed with a pre-fab box (which SA series sound great in most of them).

I am working towards a smaller amp and the E line woofers... we'll have a package closer to the 500 mark for two subs that are still very good and a very legit 800-watt Class-D amp.

Sure, we aren't for EVERY shop out there - I can agree. I also don't WANT to be in every shop out there.

Went into the local shop and got conned into buying a $170 amp.

I went home and found it online for $80. I've never felt so stupid in my life.

They also tried to sell me some Audiobahns and i almost bit.

The next week I found SSA and I now run a Fi BL and a Saz-1K for the same price i would of spent at the shop.

Wow very opinionated, keep it on topic fellas. Its about business more than what you guys want, yes Sundown is a good company and they make a good product but there not the best for every application or the only brand out there for that matter. Does it matter what a shop carries no not at all, if it does then go to a shop that carries the brand your looking for. There are more rules to business besides putting something on the shelf and selling it to make a profit. One of the main features to tackle in order to have a successful business is catering to your market, if you dont know your market or how to sell to them you will fail asap.

If you have Kicker and so-called ghetto ass bass (whatever that is supposed to be) then you have a horrible install and not a product error.

Went into the local shop and got conned into buying a $170 amp.

I went home and found it online for $80. I've never felt so stupid in my life.

They also tried to sell me some Audiobahns and i almost bit.

The next week I found SSA and I now run a Fi BL and a Saz-1K for the same price i would of spent at the shop.

I never buy from a shop just for the reason above, I would rather pay half off or 2/3's of the price by buying online and waiting for shipping then just to have the products that day.

I pity the people who only look to spend the least amount of money on a product, especially when they're losing quality in the process. I wanted to spend $200 on my system at first but once i realized there was higher quality out there, i spent 3x that.

You basically cheatin yourself in my opinion.

Kids in my town shit themselves when they hear that i spent $250 on a sub and $220 on an amp. They have no idea what real quality is.

No offense to any that work at stereo shops, but I recently went out on a trip to look for some new equipment in my hometown of Omaha. I think that being worthless is a pre-requisite to work at shops here. I stopped going to these shops and started dealing with going to online factory direct companies a while ago, and especially since I purchased a Soundsplinter RLP 12 about 5 years ago. The only thing that was in local shops that could come close to duplicating sound quality and just plain stupid loud factor was a JL W7, and those were being sold for more than 3 times what I paid for the RLP. Like many have said, the shops are in business to make money, not to ensure that all products they sell are the best quality available. Big companies have big names and sell easy for these stores. I am sure their margins for profit are good too. I am grateful for the internet providing a sensible avenue for companies like Soundsplinter and SSA and others to get their product to the masses, without having to fight with big box retailers to get others. I know that not one person that heard my sub set up walked away without a "holy shit" face. Easy to move Kicker and Fosgate, and they make decent equipment, but it just doesn't cut it for guys like us.

guys like us.

Lol, I like that term. All we are are people who actually take a little time to scan the internet and find quality and it pays off hand over fist.

There is no way for a shop to match the internet prices. Those big companys and buy in bulk. So what they are selling stuff for most of the time is what the shop pays for it. But unlike the internet if you have a problem with something you get from a shop then you can go back to shop and get the problem fixed the same day. You don't have to shipped it back and wait for another one to come back. Its great to get stuff at dealer cost until you have a problem with it. Would suck to buy a deck offline and then have to send it back. So then have no music for weeks.

There is no way for a shop to match the internet prices. Those big companys and buy in bulk. So what they are selling stuff for most of the time is what the shop pays for it. But unlike the internet if you have a problem with something you get from a shop then you can go back to shop and get the problem fixed the same day. You don't have to shipped it back and wait for another one to come back. Its great to get stuff at dealer cost until you have a problem with it. Would suck to buy a deck offline and then have to send it back. So then have no music for weeks.

Once i realized i over payed by 2x as much, I looked at the receipt and it said "All sales are final" :suicide-santa:

Internet is why I stayed away from the so called "Mainstream" brands and started to support and buy my products from either "Authorized" online dealers or manufacturer direct.

I give Sundown credit for supporting their "Dealers" by mandating a "Minimum Advertised Price". If a dealer is caught advertising below this they are automatically not a dealer and cannot get access to Sundown product.

I don't want you guys to think I don't support sundown. I run sundown in my car and in my wife's car. I've been a team member for almost 3yrs now. When i can afford to carry a larger inventory. then I will carry Sundown. But right now I have to keep the overhead low. So that means I can't have stuff sitting on the shelf. Yes I can spend more time talking to customer into buying some Sundown or I can sell them what they ask for so I can get back in the install bay to put the stuff in there car. I don't how big your local shops are but in mine its just me and my partner. We are the salesmen and the installers.

i have my saz-3000D and the sax-100.2, if these amps ever die i would be surprised. however if they do and the one shop that

carries local in my area (and i like the guys there.) will get a visit from me and a stack of cash. i have all ready invested ~3k in to

my car and i like it the way it is. my biggest thing is i only buy from people i like, if the guys at a shop are dicks or don't sound like

they know what they are talking about i won't do biz with them.

as far as a demo car instead of an open room make an amp rack with a few different amps of about the same power and let them

cycle through the amps and see if they can hear the difference if they like one over another they will get it. people like to play

with things, its just human nature. another selling point you can make is that these products will last for a long time if there taken

care of. this is true for most things so it is the truth, but you need to feel out the customer or ask there tech lvl of knowledge and support them accordingly.

Hello all,

Here in the Raleigh, NC area I have been around to a few car audio shops to pick up little things from time to time and I notice that most do not carry any Sundown Audio equipment. To me this has been somewhat of a surprise considering the fact that the company is "local", in the sense that it is based out of the same state and is only a few hours away. The response I have gotten from guys that run these shops is almost offensive to me as a Sundown Audio user. When I ask why they don't carry any Sundown they seem to get on this defensive "high horse" stating that either "Sundown equipment is too expensive, and nobody will buy it" or that "they are just a small company that is here today and will probably be gone tomorrow......I don't want to sale my customers stuff that may not be around tomorrow."

What kind of crap is this?!?!?!..........honestly it kind of pissed me off today when I went into this shop to pick up some RCA's and the guy was just talking down on Sundown. The only logical reason I can come up with for these guys talking like this is the fact that they have NEVER experienced/used any Sundown Audio equipment personally. Jacob you and your boys might need to come to Raleigh and show some of these guys whats up!!!!

Sincerely,

A Satisfied Sundown Audio Customer

What is the name of the shop?

Edited by Eagle

Hello all,

Here in the Raleigh, NC area I have been around to a few car audio shops to pick up little things from time to time and I notice that most do not carry any Sundown Audio equipment. To me this has been somewhat of a surprise considering the fact that the company is "local", in the sense that it is based out of the same state and is only a few hours away. The response I have gotten from guys that run these shops is almost offensive to me as a Sundown Audio user. When I ask why they don't carry any Sundown they seem to get on this defensive "high horse" stating that either "Sundown equipment is too expensive, and nobody will buy it" or that "they are just a small company that is here today and will probably be gone tomorrow......I don't want to sale my customers stuff that may not be around tomorrow."

What kind of crap is this?!?!?!..........honestly it kind of pissed me off today when I went into this shop to pick up some RCA's and the guy was just talking down on Sundown. The only logical reason I can come up with for these guys talking like this is the fact that they have NEVER experienced/used any Sundown Audio equipment personally. Jacob you and your boys might need to come to Raleigh and show some of these guys whats up!!!!

Sincerely,

A Satisfied Sundown Audio Customer

What is the name of the shop?

I'd rather not say because it is not my intent to get into name calling or hurt someones business. I will just say that it is in Raleigh area.

I have a high school buddy that's looking into branching out on his own. Currently he is co-owner of a local shop and the shops big seller is JL Audio. What I did was visited his shop and asked if we could get one of his customers vehicles with a similar set up to mine. (2) 12" subs rated at or around 600 watts and a 1500 watt amp. What I found out was that our enclosures we're basically identical in specs, built a little differently. After him personally listening to both vehicles and metering them on the TL he approached his partner about carrying Sundown and his partner flat out said no even though what Sundown did to the other car was outrageous (JL must stand for Just Lousy). He is very interested in Sundown Audio, so what I'll do is keep repping Sundown Audio and laughing at all those "mainstream" guys.

You won't believe how many people come into our store with stuff they have bought online for us to look at and all we can say is that they are pretty much out of luck.

Internet is why I stayed away from the so called "Mainstream" brands and started to support and buy my products from either "Authorized" online dealers or manufacturer direct.

I give Sundown credit for supporting their "Dealers" by mandating a "Minimum Advertised Price". If a dealer is caught advertising below this they are automatically not a dealer and cannot get access to Sundown product.

MAP is common with anything sold in shops.

Sundown Is great and luckily for me and the shop I work at, we have been around for 30 years and have a good reputation. We have enough business to carry Sundown and it sells. People Eat up those SA-8 and 12s. But like previously mentioned, a lot of people are on a budget and for those people, $500 is a lot of money in the first place. That's why stuff like the JL Temporary Insanity Sale sells so well. When people come in and buy Sundown, they usually spend well over $1K between amp, speakers, wiring, and labor.

I praise Sundown for making such awesome products but I can understand how it may be dificult for a small shop to carry a brand that isn't mainstream at the moment, but I am sure with the quality products that Sundown puts out, they will to continue to grow their customer base and be more easily marketable.

Thanks Todd :) We will be working hard to expand our "lower" lines with high quality products for our local dealer base.

I have a high school buddy that's looking into branching out on his own. Currently he is co-owner of a local shop and the shops big seller is JL Audio. What I did was visited his shop and asked if we could get one of his customers vehicles with a similar set up to mine. (2) 12" subs rated at or around 600 watts and a 1500 watt amp. What I found out was that our enclosures we're basically identical in specs, built a little differently. After him personally listening to both vehicles and metering them on the TL he approached his partner about carrying Sundown and his partner flat out said no even though what Sundown did to the other car was outrageous (JL must stand for Just Lousy). He is very interested in Sundown Audio, so what I'll do is keep repping Sundown Audio and laughing at all those "mainstream" guys.

Why laugh at mainstream brands? These brands all started off as a small business, a lot like Sundown and they have put out quality products and continue to do so, and that's how they become and stay mainstream. Quality products and good customer service. Sundown very well could become a mainstream brand because of those qualities, would you then laugh at Sundown because of their success?

I actually remember when JL Audio hit the market in the early nineties! Everybody said the same thing back then. "Never heard of it, I will stick with a more well known brand".

It's up to customers and reps to get the Sundown word out by either competing or just demoing it for friends and potential customers!

i probably give a demo every other day at work, haven't heard any negative reviews yet. all tho people look at me funny when they ask how much my amp was and i tell them. it is the 3k tho, the 1k or 1200D is usual what i recommend to people even if its from db-r.