whatnow275

custom vs prefab

I have two kicker cvx 12" 2006 model subs in a prefab ported box that i believe is 1.25 cubes per chamber (not sure if that is net or total) and i was just wondering what differences i will see, and how significant they are, if i switch to a either 4.5 or 5.5 cubes net custom box with a single port tuned to 35 hz.

Really it's dependent on the box itself. How well the box is made, etc.

I'm sure if your box is built to spec, the recommended for the subs, it will sound a lot better.

Also, why the high-ish tune ? Maybe go with 32/33hz tune instead ? You will most likely have better output with that tune.

I have two kicker cvx 12" 2006 model subs in a prefab ported box that i believe is 1.25 cubes per chamber (not sure if that is net or total) and i was just wondering what differences i will see, and how significant they are, if i switch to a either 4.5 or 5.5 cubes net custom box with a single port tuned to 35 hz.

well, if it is the typical prefab box then it is probably tuned around 40hz, so building a new box to the recommended specs and a 32hz tune will sound much better.

Custom boxes are always beter. Prefabs are made with no specific sub in mind. I have even seen a prefab made from partical board. I would avoid a prefab at all costs

i had 2 15 comp vrs in about 8 cubes net at 32hz and that shit was loud only metered a 140 on tl (just for fun) but def enough for my daily driver also i had them in a prefab audio enhancer kpvr model and they sounded a lil cleaner(for a compvr) but didnt touch the lows like the custom box i dont kno the dimensions exact but i beleive each sub had 2.75cft... to sum it up def get a custom box by someone who knows what they are doin or grab a khaotik they look f'in sweet, needa throw sum enclosures for 18s or special orders so i can grab one

just checked and seen they do got 18'in enclosures woohoo!

Really it's dependent on the box itself. How well the box is made, etc.

I'm sure if your box is built to spec, the recommended for the subs, it will sound a lot better.

Also, why the high-ish tune ? Maybe go with 32/33hz tune instead ? You will most likely have better output with that tune.

is 32/33 better for those subs? will it be louder or feel stronger?

What type of music you listen too? What vehicle?

What type of music you listen too? What vehicle?

i have a 2000 ford taurus (so a pretty big trunk) with second skin damplifier pro over probably 2/3 of it (20 sq ft wasnt near enough) and i listen to a lot of rap. also i never damplified my rear deck or the part of the trunk lid w/ the license plates and lights and stuff. think that'd make a noticable diff?

For a trunk setup I would tune somewhere around 35hz. Most rap is centered around that frequency if not a little higher. It would still kill on the lows but yet remain transient.

For a trunk setup I would tune somewhere around 35hz. Most rap is centered around that frequency if not a little higher. It would still kill on the lows but yet remain transient.

alright sweet. is going from my crappy prefab to a custom built for the subs going to be a night and day difference? or will it just hit noticeably lower? will it be louder?