awd

Help selecting 2 12's and an amp

I was hoping some of you guys could help me, I am looking for a couple of 12's and an amp for my truck

The truck is an f-250 diesel, and I previously had 2 12's ported through the bed, and this is the way I'd like to go again so I can fill the big hole in the cab.

I'm more concerned with sound quality than overall SPL. I like what I have read about the FI Q's, and am leaning towards those, but am open for other suggestions in the same price range. I am also looking for a low to mid priced amp to go with these subs. I am looking for a reliable combination that won't be pushing the subs on the ragged edge all the time.

I don't think my installer performed any electrical upgrades for my last system. I can do the big 3 if needed, but will that be enough for what I'm looking to do?

Sorry for all the questions but I would appreciate any input.

Other then sound quality, what are your goals from the system? And what is your budget? The Fi Q's are an excellent sub woofer, just need to make sure they are the right choice for your goals.

If you want to get loud and sound good, I would look in to the ssa xcon. It looks like a great overall sub.

The goal of my system is to build a daily driver that has good SQ while using the same port through my bed with 2 12's. Getting loud is not at the very top of my list. I read the FI Q's maintained great SQ while getting loud when needed, that's why I was leaning towards those.

My last subs were 2, 5 year old Treo 12's powered by a JBL amp. The past system had the subs and ports facing each other with the back of the subs pointed toward the bed rails. The hole in the bed to the cab is approximately 1 foot by 1 foot. This got loud and sounded pretty good. I did not do the install so i dont know the port specifics.

I guess sound quality and reliability are my 2 main goals. By reliability I mean I want to be able to crank this up with out worrying about damaging my subs or amp. I'd rather spend the money now to get what I want than go a little cheaper and spend more money down the road repairing equipment.

My budget is not concrete, depending on your suggestions, but I am looking to spend around $800-$1200 on the subs and amp.

By the way I am not really looking to buy used amps or subs, and I plan on building the box myself if I can get suggestions on the dimensions.

I have been doing a lot of reading over the past couple weeks, but I'm still confused as to the direction I want to go, so thanks for the input.

2 SSA Icons on a 1500 watts amp (sundown saz 1500 for example). That would be a good setup,but what speakers are you running ? Do you use an amp for the speakers ?

I run a 1500 watts amp for my sub and a 320 watts amp for my front speakers with only the big3 done (partially). I have no problem at all.

Your diesel truck should be ok with that power, it must have a strong alternator.

Take a look at this amplifier ..... http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SAX%252d1200D.html

and then this subwoofer(s) ...... http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d12.html

Quality, reliable and great sounding. Along with supporting the SSA Store.

Just my .02!

A lot of options out there, but without a budget really hard to recommend anything.

I bought some JL audio components for the front and I had some for the back. I also have one of their 300 watt 4 channel amps. I bought this before looking around on forums to see what else is available. I am thinking that I should be okay with my electrical, the alternator and battery wires are pretty big. The amps that have been suggested so far have been lower power than what I thought I would be running also.

I like the sundown amps, and the prices on that link seem pretty reasonable.

I had originally planned on spending around $1000 on the sub and amp setup, but I certainly wouldn't complain about spending less.

2 SSA Icons on a 1500 watts amp (sundown saz 1500 for example). That would be a good setup,but what speakers are you running ? Do you use an amp for the speakers ?

Does anyone else have an opinion on this setup?

so would a couple of icon 12's sound pretty good from a 1500 watt amp, or would I want a little more to push them at their full RMS? I was also wondering if they will do alright from a sealed box?

They love sealed box ! and ported too !!!

You can use a 2000 watts amp for them, for sure ! But 1500 watts is enough. I don't think you will be able to feel the added power!

This 1500 watts amp is a beast (!!!)

Read some topics in the ssa sub forum to get more informations.

I am currently running 2 12" icons ported off a sundown 1500 in an extra cab mazda and loving it. You wont be disappointed.