Sign in to follow this  
amangujral06

Fi Q 15" box desgn help ! Too much technicalities

Hi guys, got a Q15" with flat wind coil and extra spider. Now need to built a box for the same.

Can only make a ported box with internal volume as maximum of 3.7 cufeet.. It will be a rectangula ported box with no bracing inside.. using 3/4" MDF

Box external dim - 11.25 X 36.5 X 19" - internal volume come to be 3.7 cu feet. i still have too account sub volume displacement, port displacement and is there something left to account in?

now come my queries -

What is the mounting depth of Fi Q 15" ?

What is the cut hole Dia for 15" Q ?

How much diameter using round port will be needed - minimum and maximum ?

How much more power handling the sub gets with flat wind coil alone ?

Does flat wind coil gives the sub some extra oomph, or its just a coil ?

Actually i have many more questions, i don't want to seem rude by asking all at once.

Nick , Scott , i'll be grateful if you help too, i understand how busy you guys are :)

regards.

Edited by aman gujral

Hi guys, got a Q15" with flat wind coil and extra spider. Now need to built a box for the same.

Can only make a ported box with internal volume as maximum of 3.7 cufeet.. It will be a rectangula ported box with no bracing inside.. using 3/4" MDF

Box external dim - 11.25 X 36.5 X 19" - internal volume come to be 3.7 cu feet. i still have too account sub volume displacement, port displacement and is there something left to account in?

now come my queries -

What is the mounting depth of Fi Q 15" ?

What is the cut hole Dia for 15" Q ?

Actually i have many more questions, i don't want to seem rude by asking all at once.

Nick , Scott , i'll be grateful if you help too, i understand how busy you guys are :)

regards.

About half of your questions can be answered if you read the "Tech" section on Fi's website.

Cut ID:14.125

Sub OD:15.625

thanks for the reply. I looked into the tech section. but there is still no answer to my questions like..

few more queries...

what material port pipe should i use for best results ... PVC , alumnium or steel ?

Should i have to brace the box even if using 3/4 mdf ? won't be running more than 600rms to the sub.

can i tune the box to 26hz or maybe lower and still expect a good frequency response?

Edited by aman gujral

thanks for the reply. I looked into the tech section. but there is still no answer to my questions like..

few more queries...

what material port pipe should i use for best results ... PVC , alumnium or steel ?

Should i have to brace the box even if using 3/4 mdf ? won't be running more than 600rms to the sub.

can i tune the box to 26hz or maybe lower and still expect a good frequency response?

dont tune any lower that 28 hz unless it is for your home theater. I higly doubt the music you listen to will drop below 30 hz. There is no need to tune below 28 for a car setup

answers in bold

minimum would be a 6" aeroport. an 8" round port would work well but may not be readily available. 2 6" round ports would suffice, or a slot port would be just as efficient

ive always heard ballparks around 250w but it is all install and user dependent

it puts more copper in the coil which helps transfer heat more effectively. it improves the thermal capacity of the coil. thermal capacity is one of the factors in the RMS rating of a sub

depends on what is available and what you are comfortable working with. pvc is typically the cheapest and easiest to work with. judging from your english, you are not from the united states so other materials may be more readily available in your area

bracing is highly advised. when airspace is at a premium threaded rod or dowels are effective without using a lot of room

you will be sacrificing a lot of your audible volume and the longer port is going to eat up your airspace. unless you plan to use this box as a home theater later on, i would suggest 32hz. since you are using low power, an 6" aeroport 20.5" in length would give you the proper tuning and give you a net of about 3 cubic feet of airspace.

..we don't put a flatwound coil in a Q.

The D2 is a round wire, and the D1 is a flattened round wire...but it is not truly flat...

The lower you tune something the higher it is going to roll off on the top end.

Sign in to follow this