I'm contemplating setting up a Car PC for my truck..The one thing that confuses me though is whenever I use an aux source (Ipod) I notice a loss of loudness. Does that generally occur with a Car PC setup too?

I'd look at your manual for the radio. Most/all radio's output 1/2 the voltage with the radio versus cd. This could be the same thing. Do you have a level control for the aux. input?

Check out mp3car.com, they have allot of good information on there.

Edited by cobra93

It's basically a matter of relative source levels. Some headunits offer source level adjustment, others don't.

With all of the things a CarPC can offer, I'm sure there's probably some sort of input loudness/volume control software that would be available or built into certain programs.

i used to be into this.. U may be like me or you may not but coming from a person who builds pcs.... i still didn't want a carpc in my ride...

I like to do things right and by right, i mean the best PSU for the pc, the best hard drive bay to prevent death, the best pure line in with no analog volume adjustments(like what u are looking for).. the best of everything.. because, it needs it.

After factoring in over $1g easy.. and i was still counting up... i decided to stop...

I was adding a LOT more than just a typical pc though too.. i was gonna set it up for video surveillance, etc...

mp3car is a great overwhelming place to go but i would search in OTHER places before i go straight over there..

You will have a brain meltdown of information if you are new to carpc..

Due basic research on things to look for and expect then when you have a broad grasp of it.. then go to mp3car and find your detailed answers...

Otherwise, you 'll keep digging yourself further and further into more and more complex knowledge that you'll be wantin to find out how the computer can control your house..lol.

Ie- carpcs can monitor OBD-II diagnostics... as an example of things u need not know at this time... i could go on and on.

Keep this in the back of your mind, it's something I've read over and over.

A carpc is something that can take allot of time to get right. You could spend weeks/months to get correct, this is what turned me off of the idea of a carputer (and I don't mean setting crossovers and such).

They take up allot of space, need proper cooling and don't turn on like a car stereo does.

I looked into a carputer and spent allot of time reading about it. Then decided the pioneer dex-p99rs was a valid alternative and am waiting for the price to drop somewhat.

Do some reading on the website I listed above before you chose this route.