altoncustomtech

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

great job on the mounting bracket.

Enclosure looks sick.

great job on the mounting bracket.

Thanks.  It came out okay.  I can't hardly weld for shit, just not enough experience, but I can do good enough for little stuff like this.  I was fortunate enough to have gotten all the math right on the lengths and things, plus getting it square to get the holes to line up.  All in all I couldn't have asked for it to work out any better.

Enclosure looks sick.

Thanks.  Not too shabby for a dumb redneck I suppose.

Well, all that work to mount the Solid 2 is for nothing.  On the path to sonic perfection I'm now going straight to using Peerless SLS 8's for the midbass duty and in doing so am now going to have to change out the 125.2 for one of the JBL GTO1004's I have on hand.  That means a bunch more work and all the work thus far to use the Solid 2 is pointless as I've also ordered a set of the Fountek FR89EX's and will probably just use the 125.2 to power them.  I'll have to figure out how to bracket up the GTO above the 1500 then do it again to get the 125.2 above that.  I have a friend of mine who told me about some easy set fiberglass that comes with the resin, hardener, etc. already in the fabric, basically.  All you have to do is mold it around whatever it is you're doing and wait for it to set up.  I'm gonna get all the information on it and if it's reasonably affordable and available and will do the job exactly as he's described then I'll likely give that a shot to try on the sail panels for the full ranges.  I'm thinking if I go the same route on the 8's as I did the 6.5's, for now, that I can get them in with minimal hassle and just build new baffles and trim a little plastic.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me, again, but I'm really looking forward to what it does for the SQ in the truck.  It went from "eh, this'll work fine for what I need" to "I'd like to play around and see what I can do to make it a little better" to "Shit's getting real now!"  LOL.....

If I don't watch it I'm going to be a great deal more money and work into this than I had ever originally planned........ LMAO!!

I think you will be stoked with the FRer's for tuning and the ease of rising the soundstage. I demo'ed the Honda to a friend that owned a local audio and he kept looking around for tweeters. Was priceless!

Sub enclosure came out clean jellybean! I hope to play with some PR's one of these days.

Its easy to get carried away, I found it best just to plan on the "Shit's getting real now!" from the beginning. :)

Yup....IAK

Ah hell, can't take the money with me when I go, may as well spend on it something fun now, lol.

I think you will be stoked with the FRer's for tuning and the ease of rising the soundstage. I demo'ed the Honda to a friend that owned a local audio and he kept looking around for tweeters. Was priceless!

Sub enclosure came out clean jellybean! I hope to play with some PR's one of these days.

Its easy to get carried away, I found it best just to plan on the "Shit's getting real now!" from the beginning. smile.png

I love the fullranges so far.  I've played them for two people, one is a fellow forum member who's local and I think he was impressed.  The second is a co worker who's not really into this stuff but kept looking for more and more songs to listen to because he was liking it so much.  Both liked it that much even without any midbass drivers which I thought really spoke to the quality of the fullranges and the sub to do what they could to cover that range.

Thanks man, it didn't come out too bad.  I'm loving the sound of the PR setup more and more.  The XCON is an amazing sub too and I can't wait to play with a bigger one in the future.

LOL, that's where I'm getting to.

Okay, it's been forever since I had any updates for the Jimmy.  Of course with the work load we have over the winter months it's hard to get any free time to work on it at work and I don't have a great place at home to work on it there when it's cold, so....  enough for the excuses, lol.

The ETE Reman trans was shipped and arrived last week.  I figured I'd throw up a few pics for giggles before the truck and trans went to the mechanic.  I just can't wait to get to driving this thing again.

30198BEE-D212-4BFC-8962-075BB1FFC1D0.jpg

99498A24-6F58-486D-B8DD-2E2B3494CF4B.jpg

21A71559-14E9-4147-9668-76DC04452E31.jpg

598965BC-6870-4AEF-A922-F25A76C8E048.jpg

Once I get it back from the mechanic work will begin on getting the doors modified and the 8" SLS's and Fountek FR89's installed!

Nothing better than new parts! Keep up the good work. :)

Thumbs up

finger.gif  oh wait, you said THUMBS bigok.gif      LOL...  Muchos Gracias

Nothing better than new parts! Keep up the good work. smile.png

Yeah buddy, I can't wait.

It's going to be another week before the mechanic can get me in so I'm going to pull the door panels off and get a little work done on them before it goes.  I doubt I'll get to any of the fiberglass, but getting some of the other things that need done such as better mounting for the door panels and the repair of the handles (the ones I pull to close the doors, tabs are broken, common problem on these) so that the doors are ready for the big work.

FB page featured. ;)

She's pretty

I do agree. Kind of a shame to hide it under the truck, lol.

FB page featured. ;)

Wow, thank you Aaron! It's an honor!

I will return.....I get a demo !

Lol

LOL, hopefully it's back on the road by then!!  I'm really hoping the mechanic can get it in the first of this week, if he doesn't then I'll probably not be able to get it to Slam this year, yet again. :(

Booo :(

We need to get you to Slamology bro!

Edited by chicagofan

Well, nearly a month after I got it to the mechanic and I have the Jimmy back!!!!

New engine, new transmission, the starter noise is fixed, rear U joint is replaced (didn't even know it was bad) and she's running like a top!

The stereo as it sounds right now is pretty damn impressive so I'm going to put the permanent installation of the full ranges and the 8" midbasses off until I get the build work in the wife's Traverse done before I take on the finishing of the build in the Jimmy.

Damn it feels good to be driving it again!

:woot: glad your back rolling Alton

Thanks man...  Only problem I'm having with it right now is trying to figure out why my iPhone 5S won't work with the CZ702.  I thought the Clarion might need an update and did that this morning but it didn't help any at all.  

I just don't understand why the iPod function of the phone doesn't want to work with just that head unit.  Hell, my wifes iPhone 5 (not "S" version) is working with it just fine.  I just don't get it.

Awesome to know you are on the road again bro

Thanks brother!  It really feels good to finally be driving it again!!

It's been over two years and right around $4,000 including the engine, transmission, all related parts and fluids and mechanics fee (for the trans).  Sean was right, I probably should have just gotten rid of it in the first place, lol.  Ah well, it oughta last another 10 years easy now.  suicide-santa.gif

Well, I can never help myself but to scroll through listings on ebay, typically the ones that are about to end so that if it's what I want and a good price I can nab it up without getting into a bidding war.  Anyway I was scrolling through listings this morning and came across a BNIB set of Mach5 MLI-65's a guy was selling and I got them for $75 with free shipping.  I thought they might be fun to play with as an alternative to the Bravox mids from the CS60K component set was being used before going to the FR + dedicated midbass setup.  Hopefully I'll have them before the end of the week and can get them tossed in before the weekend!

Score!