Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

Release your inner EVIL!

Now shipping!

Photo

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,244 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Classic Cars, Computers, R/C's, playin' with my kids, riding ATV's, chasin' the 'ol lady around the house :)
  • Vehicle:2001 GMC Jimmy & 1998 Chevy Venture

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Exactly as the title states, I have no idea how long this is going to take, but with the current free time rate I get between work and home it will probably take quite awhile. Good chance it will be next year before it's complete, much like the van.

The Jimmy has the Kenwood HU installed already, as are the PG RSD's. The RSD's will be getting traded out for a set of ID CTX's I traded for, can't wait to play with them. Otherwise power will be an SAX 125.2 with an SAZ 1500 running three SA-8's. Today I started on the permanent installation for the components. I have planned to build an MDF baffle that brings the mid out from behind the door panel. Today I worked on removing the factory grilles from the panels to facilitate the opening for the baffles to protrude from. Next step is to build the baffles.

You can see around the factory grille where I began grinding away plastic.
Posted Image

More grinding
Posted Image

Done grinding, the grill is gone.
Posted Image
Posted Image

An angle die grinder is perfect for this kind of work.
Posted Image

On to the driver's door.
Posted Image
Posted Image

All done, ready to remove it.
Posted Image

And it's out too.
Posted Image

Cleaned up the edges on the holes and here's the end result, the MDF baffle will be just small enough to pass through the hole. Hopefully it will look real good when complete.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well, hopefully I'll be on to the baffles and have them done in the next couple of days.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

Link to The VAN's Build Log                                                                                                    Link to The Jimmy's Build log.

Facebook page      My Review of an SSA DCON 12" subwoofer     

Aaron Clinton wrote: "The XCON has it's own sound. The ICON is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The XCON on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure. Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the ICON being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the XCON is the guided missile to the chrome dome."

There is a start.  What don't you like about like about the passive results?

ie, it is always better to go about something relatively as it is much easier to define how to deal with the concern.  Exactly why I tell everyone to not jump in head first and buy what you think is your final set of drivers right away.  EVERY install you will learn something and want something to change.  This is the audio disease that we all have otherwise we wouldn't be here which means research to find the "best" solution right away will never lead you there.  Better to invest in things you can resell, but are improving the concerns you have right now than to go straight to the holy grail since like in real life it doesn't exist.

sigs_ssa_xcon.pngiaklogo.png

#2 jay-cee

jay-cee

Local Neighborhood Playa

• SSA Regular

• 9,924 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars, Music & Food
  • Vehicle:1997 Acura 3.5RL

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

You gave me an idea for my door panels :fing34:
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
Highs: (2) SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4
Mids: (2) Eminence Alpha-6C
Subs:
Amps:
Electrical: Big 3

#3 sefugi

sefugi

OLD GRASSHOPPER

• SSA Supporter L2

• 4,219 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio and Enjoying Life

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

:popcorn:

#4 Mac N Cheese

Mac N Cheese

SSA Ninja

• SSA Regular
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

did you use the same tools to cut out section for the tweeters?

2005 VW Golf GTI

DC lvl 6 12"

Crescendo 1000.4c

Crescendo 3k

Crescendo CZ components

Pioneer AVH 4300

DC Power 320 XP alt

XS XP 3000

Multiple runs of 4/0

#5 Mtopper

Mtopper

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:cars, audio, baseball, football
  • Vehicle:2012 Chevy Cruze LT1 RS

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

is this on a 2 door jimmy? i have a 2 door blazer and am still trying to find tweeter location/how to bring the speaker away from the door without doing kicks

2013 Ford F-250 Crew cab long bed

work truck first 

fun truck second

#6 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,244 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio, Classic Cars, Computers, R/C's, playin' with my kids, riding ATV's, chasin' the 'ol lady around the house :)

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:20 AM

You gave me an idea for my door panels :fing34:

Thanks, glad I could help. :D

did you use the same tools to cut out section for the tweeters?

No. Actually I used my dremel tool, a spiral cutting bit, and a VERY steady hand. I cut a rough hole out smaller than I needed first, then slowly went around it until I had a perfect hole for the tweeter.

is this on a 2 door jimmy? i have a 2 door blazer and am still trying to find tweeter location/how to bring the speaker away from the door without doing kicks

Yes this is a 2 door Jimmy AND stay tuned as I may be doing exactly what you're looking for without building a custom kick panel or pod.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

Link to The VAN's Build Log                                                                                                    Link to The Jimmy's Build log.

Aaron Clinton wrote: "The XCON has it's own sound. The ICON is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The XCON on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure. Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the ICON being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the XCON is the guided missile to the chrome dome."

ie, it is always better to go about something relatively as it is much easier to define how to deal with the concern.  Exactly why I tell everyone to not jump in head first and buy what you think is your final set of drivers right away.  EVERY install you will learn something and want something to change.  This is the audio disease that we all have otherwise we wouldn't be here which means research to find the "best" solution right away will never lead you there.  Better to invest in things you can resell, but are improving the concerns you have right now than to go straight to the holy grail since like in real life it doesn't exist.

#7 Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

SSAudio Level 16

• Admin

• 42,692 posts
  • Interests:Performance auto's, American Speakers, my family, photography, collector amps, good music, and this place!!
  • Vehicle:Mazda P5 & RX-8

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

Moved per Alton's request.

#8 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,244 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thank you sir, want to keep the builds with the Team. Was too damn tired last night to realize I started it in the wrong section. I'm probably lucky all the pics worked, lol.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

#9 chicagofan

chicagofan

SSA Respected

• SSA Regular
  • 3,218 posts
  • Vehicle:99 Chevy Suburban C1500 2wd

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Tuned in brother :popcorn: Lots of builds coming to the IAK Team over the upcoming months :drink40:
99 Chevy Suburban w/5.7L 2wd
*no car audio currently

TEAM IAK AUDIOsc
iaklogo4-1.png

#10 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,244 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

It's official. Anyone crazy enough to not modify the door panel to get the mid out from behind it is wasting their money, especially if they have spent big $$$ on quality components. As the pictures indicate above I removed the factory grilles from the door panels so that I can get the mid out from behind the panel with the MDF baffles (still under construction). I drive the truck for an hour everyday to and from work so I get a fair amount of road time listening to it. Immediately noticeable was that the sound stage was up off the floor. It used to sound like almost all instruments were playing below the dash primarily and they also sounded stifled. With the factory grilles out of the way the sound stage has risen up to the top of the dash and every instrument, especially the guitars and vocals, no longer sounds like it's being forced through the wall of a cardboard box. The most impressive difference I noticed was in the response of the components. The PG RSD's have been known for some time as some very good budget components. Mostly due to how loud they can get and still sound decent, especially for the money. I noticed that they seemed to have a bit of a peaky response in the 1.5khz to 3khz region and figured it had to do with the cheaper build nature of the set. I'm proud to say that the peak in the response seems to have been caused by reflections off the factory grilles causing some sort of odd order harmonic interaction. With the grilles gone the songs I used to turn down due to the ear splitting response now play just as smooth and defined as the rest. At any rate, anyone ever debating on building kick panels, door pods or any other custom modification that results in the speakers not being stuffed behind the door panels should stop thinking about it and do it. I never imagined the factory panels hurt the speakers response THIS bad. I mean, logic told me it had to have some affect but I never imagined it was this dramatic.

Sorry for the rant guys, just excited.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

#11 j-roadtatts

j-roadtatts

DOH-zer

• SSA Supporter L2
  • 5,502 posts
  • Interests:Music, tattoos, 4-wheeling, fabricating, traveling, automobiles, good food

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

I couldn't agree with you more about the factory location hindering perfomance of the mid. Damn, you got it easy with that perfect circle in the panel to work away from. :popcorn:
IGNORANCE IS BLISS.......

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road, Premium Rockford Fosgate 6-disc 7-speaker OEM system w/sat.

1999 Honda Accord, Alpine CDA-9886, PXA-H100, Sirius interface
Rockford Fosgate, 400.a4, Fostex FF85k- highs
Alpine MRP-F600, Aura NS12-513-4A- midbass
Alpine MRP-M2000, Fi 15" BTL fully loaded in 5 cu ft @32hz -sub
2 runs 1/0, XS Power D3400, XS Power D1200, DC Power 250xp alt.
Second skin Damplifier Pro, Luxury Liner Pro

#12 Mtopper

Mtopper

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:cars, audio, baseball, football
  • Vehicle:2012 Chevy Cruze LT1 RS

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

your rant is actually a good one in my mind. it makes my decision making much easier for when i do the same. not sure if it'll be soon or next spring. my main reason for not wanting kicks is because i'm 6'3 and have really big feet so giving up floor space in not really an option for me

how big is the factory grille, and how much depth do you have from actual panel to inner door?

Edited by Mtopper, 13 October 2010 - 09:45 PM.

2013 Ford F-250 Crew cab long bed

work truck first 

fun truck second

#13 porkchop

porkchop

Grandfather Chop

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,853 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

Thank you sir, want to keep the builds with the Team. Was too damn tired last night to realize I started it in the wrong section. I'm probably lucky all the pics worked, lol.

thank you for the supportive jesture Alton, that is cool of you bro!

your ever so breif introduction to this new build already has alot to offer others ....that too, is super freaking cool.....

helping others to achieve thier goals..... very important!

thx

chop
IAK-2-1-2.jpg iaklogo4-1.png Sound_Wave-1-1.jpg iak-1-1.jpg teamiak-1.jpgloggo.pngiak3-1-1.pngiakwallpaper-1.jpgTEAMIAK-2-1.png
Team IAK Audio
Porkchop, Chicagofan, BigRank916, *yeabuddy* & Dezel, rattleboxIAK, MDizzle5472, TheHawk,, Alton, Jay-C76, Bear, TeamRamRod, dblbelly, shizzzon, djjdnap, soapbox, sencheezy, W140, Canufeelme, Swift, dbsupra, 808kickdrum as well as our all of our families.

first install...
Dakota Video Kim's ht @ 09' WFs Dakota vid #2 Dakota vid #3
146.7 db. @ 47 hz.

new install coming soon, stay tuned.
2 x 18" SSA XCON's / 2 x BC2000D's
iakbar.jpgPhoto10051544.jpg

#14 porkchop

porkchop

Grandfather Chop

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,853 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:22 PM

plans on deadening these areas ......?
IAK-2-1-2.jpg iaklogo4-1.png Sound_Wave-1-1.jpg iak-1-1.jpg teamiak-1.jpgloggo.pngiak3-1-1.pngiakwallpaper-1.jpgTEAMIAK-2-1.png
Team IAK Audio
Porkchop, Chicagofan, BigRank916, *yeabuddy* & Dezel, rattleboxIAK, MDizzle5472, TheHawk,, Alton, Jay-C76, Bear, TeamRamRod, dblbelly, shizzzon, djjdnap, soapbox, sencheezy, W140, Canufeelme, Swift, dbsupra, 808kickdrum as well as our all of our families.

first install...
Dakota Video Kim's ht @ 09' WFs Dakota vid #2 Dakota vid #3
146.7 db. @ 47 hz.

new install coming soon, stay tuned.
2 x 18" SSA XCON's / 2 x BC2000D's
iakbar.jpgPhoto10051544.jpg

#15 Alton

Alton

In over my head!!

• SSA Supporter L2

• 3,244 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

I couldn't agree with you more about the factory location hindering perfomance of the mid. Damn, you got it easy with that perfect circle in the panel to work away from. :popcorn:

I figured if anyone knew what I was talking about it would be you. It's got me itching to play with the doors on the van. Gotta come up with a plan for it! :D And believe me, I know how lucky I was the door panel made it so easy. :P

your rant is actually a good one in my mind. it makes my decision making much easier for when i do the same. not sure if it'll be soon or next spring. my main reason for not wanting kicks is because i'm 6'3 and have really big feet so giving up floor space in not really an option for me

how big is the factory grille, and how much depth do you have from actual panel to inner door?

Thanks, and you won't be disappointed by the results. I actually haven't measured the hole there yet, the depth is about 1.75". I'll be using three layers of 3/4" MDF to build my baffles so the rings will be about 2.25" tall, should stick out the door about a half inch minimum, about 3/4 maximum as the depth changes a little as you go around the hole due to the way the panel was molded.

thank you for the supportive jesture Alton, that is cool of you bro!

your ever so breif introduction to this new build already has alot to offer others ....that too, is super freaking cool.....

helping others to achieve thier goals..... very important!

thx

chop

I figure I have a hard enough time making it to support the Team at shows and events I damn well better support it any other way I can. LOL

I also believe that more people should be doing more to help others out, it's one of the many problems in today's world IMHO. If following my builds and using any of my mad methods to do someone else's build can help that someone else out to achieve their goals then I have achieved my goal in the matter of helping others. A win-win for both.

plans on deadening these areas ......?

Yes sir... I have the supplies on hand already too. Once the rings are cut and the baffles are built I will apply the deadener and finish the doors. Plans after that are to deaden other key area's of the truck and build and install the amp rack and amps. Hopefully when that's complete it will still be good enough weather to build the box.

NEWSIG-complete.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

#1 Car Audio Forum Since 2001!