Sign in to follow this  
AndrewBR98

Poping and cracking noise coming from SSA Icon 12''???

hey everyone...so i just installed my new audiopipe ap15001d about a week ago and am loving it! this icon is a totally different beast now! for a single 12'' it makes things rattle like crazy! i have set the gain with a dmm for about 900 watts or so (my box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 32hz with 37.5 sq inches of port so i dont have it at the full 1000 because the box is the manufactures maximum size) but recently i have noticed some poping and cracking noises coming from the sub during certain songs. now it doesnt do it on every song and there are about 3-4 that are making it do this. (head blown off by evil pimp - decaf version along with i got 5 on it - luniz the bigpimpin version) they are loud as hell but during certian parts of the song it starts to make this noise. any ideas? im pretty sure its not clipping as i went through a lot of the songs i play with the dmm hooked up to my amp to see if the voltage every exceeded the 900 watts i have it set at but on a couple of them it goes over by just a couple of volts. any ideas on whats wrong?

A dmm screen often won't be able to react fast enough during musical peaks to tell you what the voltage is at that time. But some DMMs have a maximum setting, where it records the maximum voltage that went through the device (even if it wasn't displayed) and you can retrieve it later. That could be helpful.

Otherwise, check for air leaks in the box. Even small pinholes can cause a rattle sound through the sub.

it sounds like its unloading on the notes the box insnt tuned for and also your new amp is dirty power sell it and buy an audioque your subs will thank you.

Edited by big dee

Audiopipe is decent.... :WTFBubble:

Audiopipe is decent.... :WTFBubble:

Useless post.

I ran into this same thing in my friends truck yesterday. He has a Mojo 12" in a box I designed on 1,200w. Same exact thing was happening, at first I thought it was the SSF but then I played it to listen to it and it wasn't the low notes causing it.

I back the Sub level on the radio down and turned the LPF up, and it stopped.