Sign in to follow this  
rizzo30

Rockford Fosgate vs Sundown Audio For Amps

I have two FI Q 15 inch subs that are each a dual 1 ohm coil. I had them running on two Rockford T10001bd amps and then switched to a Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D amp. It seems now that for some reason I may have lost some sound quality when going from the rockford amp to the sundown amp. It just seems like the subs may not be hitting all notes or sounding as good as before which is when I ran them on rockford amps.

Does anyone know if this is possible or even who makes a better amp whether if its Rockford or Sundown Audio? These subs are fully loaded with each being in its own 2.5 cubit foot sealed box. I guess I am just looking for the best amp here which could match these subs perfectly at a 1 ohm mono load.

Well considering you went from 1000 watts to 3500 watts, sound quality will be lost since it seems like you were looking for more output when upgrading amps. What does your electrical constsist of?

Well considering you went from 1000 watts to 3500 watts, sound quality will be lost since it seems like you were looking for more output when upgrading amps. What does your electrical constsist of?

I am running a 320 amp alternator made by DC Power Engineering which does around 160 amps at idle and 320 at 1500 engine rpms. I have zero gauge ran back to the amps and also have 4 1.5 farad caps also. Then of course I upgraded the hot and ground wires coming off of the alternator to zero gauge along with the rest of the big 3.

what were your amp settings on the bds set to? And what are the settings on your 3500d set to? (gain, ssf, lpf, bassboost)

Do you have your drivers wired down to 1ohm or 4ohm?

3.5kw for some Qs... perhaps you should switch to a bl or btl. And your running sealed... I understand if your going for true sq, going with the Qs and sealed, but SQ and 3.5kws don't exactly go hand in hand.

what were your amp settings on the bds set to? And what are the settings on your 3500d set to? (gain, ssf, lpf, bassboost)

Do you have your drivers wired down to 1ohm or 4ohm?

3.5kw for some Qs... perhaps you should switch to a bl or btl. And your running sealed... I understand if your going for true sq, going with the Qs and sealed, but SQ and 3.5kws don't exactly go hand in hand.

With the bds I wired the subs at 4 ohms with bd sync which did not match those bds the best since that made them capable of 1500 watts rms at 4 ohms. The gains on the bds were a bit over half which was clipping. Now I have the sundown amp wired at 1 ohm and its gains are at under half or maybe 1/3 of the way up. the bass on the sundown amp is maybe 1/4 of the way up. Rockford used a 4 volt gain for those power amps while this sundown amp has a 6 gain setting.

Maybe I should just go with two 12 inch btls instead and port them. That should get pretty loud. I just like the sound quality of sealed subs so I figured I would stick with sealed and figured that FI made a really good 15 with their Q model. I could have got some 05 RE XXX 15 models about a year ago, but I didn't know anything about FI back then and my friend just sold them. They were blown and everyone wanted them for obvious reasons that we figured out later.

I think for what you want and the power your using, bls or btls in a ported enclosure would be a better choice. They'll get loud and they'll sound good.

and you still didn't answer my question, what was the ssf and lpf set to on the bds and currently on the 3500d?

I think for what you want and the power your using, bls or btls in a ported enclosure would be a better choice. They'll get loud and they'll sound good.

and you still didn't answer my question, what was the ssf and lpf set to on the bds and currently on the 3500d?

SSF I assume is subsonic filter. That was set to off on the bd amps and is set to 10 hertz on the sundown amp or as low as it can go on the sundown amp. I assume that lpf is low pass. That is set to 80 hertz from the head unit and left wide open on both amps since I set it on the head unit.

SSF I assume is subsonic filter. That was set to off on the bd amps and is set to 10 hertz on the sundown amp or as low as it can go on the sundown amp. I assume that lpf is low pass. That is set to 80 hertz from the head unit and left wide open on both amps since I set it on the head unit.

yes ssf is subsonic filter, sorry for not clarifying. turning it counterclockwise is fine since your running a sealed enclosure.

I'd set the lpf on the amp to 80hz as well, I'd rather rely on it's crossover then the headunits, or use both :P

Just for quicks when playing music turn the lpf and see if it sounds any better? If your h/u's lpf isn't actually working, or depending on slope, it may still be playing higher frequencies that would make your bass sound muddy.

I am running a 320 amp alternator made by DC Power Engineering which does around 160 amps at idle and 320 at 1500 engine rpms. I have zero gauge ran back to the amps and also have 4 1.5 farad caps also. Then of course I upgraded the hot and ground wires coming off of the alternator to zero gauge along with the rest of the big 3.

Sell and get some batteries...you may have a massive voltage drop even if you have an alty.

Sell and get some batteries...you may have a massive voltage drop even if you have an alty.

I think my voltage drops to 12 volts from time to time on a very short peak. If its a longer peak, my alternator just catches right back up and goes back to about 15 volts. I will check the crossover on the amp and also try to set it to 80.

Get rid of the caps and buy either a d3100 or equivalent group 31 battery.

^x2 on that

yeah i think it may be your settings. when i first got my sundown 1500D my Q didnt sound the same as it did with the alpine, it took a little bit of playing with the settings but i got it down exactly where i liked it, sounded even better than when i had it on the alpine.

^x2 on that

yeah i think it may be your settings. when i first got my sundown 1500D my Q didnt sound the same as it did with the alpine, it took a little bit of playing with the settings but i got it down exactly where i liked it, sounded even better than when i had it on the alpine.

What settings should I play with? I have tried to adjust the crossover on the amp, I have played with the bass settings. I don't really want to adjust the gain any further up than what it is right now. I am running this sub in a sealed box so I have the subsonic filter as far down as it can go.