Sign in to follow this  
Guy Brawner

Upfiring 15" Subwoofer in a hatcback

I own a 2006 Scion TC which is a hatchback as the trunk is not sealed off at all, it's just behind the rear seats.

Now, I ordered a stereo integrity 15" Mag that needs around 3.0 cubes for sealed, and 3.5 for ported according to stereo integrity. The sub will be powered by a directed audio 1100.d which puts out about 1200wRMS at 1ohm.

The only real way I could pull this off and still have trunk space is by having the speaker fire upwards, into the top of the hatch glass.

How would this sound in my car compared to the same sub firing towards the driver's seat or the rear of the trunk?

Also, in real world terms, how much louder is a ported enclosure tuned properly going to be when compared to a sealed enclsosure.

In a hatch, I'd shoot for aroun 2.5-2.7 cubes NET sealed, firing upwards. Should work out well with your power.

NG

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't 10 dB considered twice as loud? 3 dB is a good solid gain though, a very very noticeable gain.

2.5-2.7 cubes is fine for the driver sealed...where did you get 3.0 cubes from?

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't 10 dB considered twice as loud?  3 dB is a good solid gain though, a very very noticeable gain.

I always though 3db was a noticable gain, a doubling of 'sound intensity'.

I believe you're correct about the generalization of 10db being perceived as being twice as loud.

Judging by what I've read about the new Mags so far, I'd imagine if you went with the ported box and 1200 RMS route, it'll tear your head off :P

ported sub up port back and try 3 cubes ported and u should be fine... port it toward the hatch on the bottom and port it to around 30 hz and u'll fall in love :)

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't 10 dB considered twice as loud?  3 dB is a good solid gain though, a very very noticeable gain.

2.5-2.7 cubes is fine for the driver sealed...where did you get 3.0 cubes from?

I got the box size from the stereo integrity website.

http://www.stereointegrity.com/Magnum15.html

ported sub up port back and try 3 cubes ported and u should be fine... port it toward the hatch on the bottom and port it to around 30 hz and u'll fall in love :)

So 3 cubes, sub cone facing up, and ports facin up as well would be great for the hatchback TC?

Well that's the biggest sealed box that's on there. I figured people would take the smallest they could if we recommended it (obviously we're not going to recommend something that is just beyond tiny like some other company's do). Maybe I need to edit the web page to just have 2.5 cubes sealed. ...only then I'll have people asking me of 2.6 is OK. ;)

FYI, 3dB is the equivalent of doubling power or adding another driver.

You were correct on the 10dB.

Just to clarify, he has(will have) a old versrion Magnum. Didn't the old 15 have slightly larger enclosure recommendations? I remember 3cuft sealed and 4cuft ported.

Ah. Users need to specify which they are talking about from now on. Officially (yes you can take this as SI's official statement if you want) "Magnum"s are every driver we have produced up until this new woofer/batch. "Mag's" are the new drivers.

Anyway, 2.5 will be fine for the older 15's.

Ah.  Users need to specify which they are talking about from now on.  Officially (yes you can take this as SI's official statement if you want) "Magnum"s are every driver we have produced up until this new woofer/batch.  "Mag's" are the new drivers.

Hehe, that needs to be put somewhere :P

So does a picture of your engine bay. I know it's in avatar form, but having a late 80's/early 90's Camaro engine bay look that good just doesn't happen.

Got the sub today! Everything is wired up. Box is 80% complete. Will be thumping tommorow! I can't wait. I went with a 2.6net cubes sealed box made of 3/4 MDF. Screws, wood glue, and silicon caulk for added sealing.

FYI, 3dB is the equivalent of doubling power or adding another driver. 

You were correct on the 10dB.

ahhhhhhhhhh that makes so much sense now.

I had read 3dB = double power...I didn't take it literally as double power I read it as double loudness which confused me since I know 10dB is double loudness.

Guy - I have a tC as well and will be dropping a D2 in there very soon. I don't understand why would you would build a 2.5 cu ft box and then not port it? People usually use sealed boxes for smaller enclosure to save space. You're building a huge sealed box so I'm just kinda lost here =) What's your reason behind this? Thanks and I can't wait to read about your results.

Yeah, let me know how it will sound. I plan on doing 2 12's in my TC, just because lack of room. But that should still be loud. I hope it is as loud as my 15 XXX in a SS.

Just an FYI, my buddy is running the old version 15" in his Camaro in 2.3 cubes and it's simply amazing.

Just an FYI, my buddy is running the old version 15" in his Camaro in 2.3 cubes and it's simply amazing.

sealed ?

Because he's building it for a 15, not a 12.  :)

oh lol my bad.

Is an upfiring sub better for a hatchback?

I think it all depends. I have noticed that it generally sounds better and has more lowend if faced to the back. Probably something to do with cancellation. I know some people will say to face the sub up and port back, because they have found that it meters better in a crx style box. IMO it is best to face both to the back if going for optimal Sq.