ztkraptor

Sub Box Smells

Ok, well My box is done, and the entire system is up and running.

I have a few issues but the one and most major concern, is that my sub box smells like its burning..lol

I know, weird, but it smells as if it is charing or something and I don't know why.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just the "new box" smell or what?

I smelled the port area and its deff coming from the box.

Also, it seems to be pretty warm. Its a 15 inch IA LI. The sub seems kinda warm too, the dust cap, not really hott but warmish.

Please help.

My box is about 3.9cubes and 3.5 inches of port which is about 54 square inches total, its around there..

Any help would be nice.

Edited by ztkraptor

Take your sub out.... and then smell the box and sub separately... I doubt your box is burning... More than likely the burning would be coming from you subwoofer..

I would venture to say you didn't get all the saw dust out and it is making it's way up into the coil gap and burning off, or you are smelling the glue/varnish from the driver heating up.

I would venture to say you didn't get all the saw dust out and it is making it's way up into the coil gap and burning off, or you are smelling the glue/varnish from the driver heating up.

or this^^...

Well I vacuumed out the box really well before I sealed it up.

Perhaps it is microscopic dust.

I mean the sub is brand new, and I wasn't maxing it out.

I assume its just the varnish/glue as you said.

the first thing i would do would be to remove the sub and inspect the box and sub inside and out. have you done this?

second, i would recommend going over your amps settings again and make sure you arent clipping the signal, overheating the coil, and sending your sub into a premature failure.

Thanks for the responses.

Tomorrow after work I'll take the sub out and check things out.

I'm thinking it could be the very very tiny wood particles that the vacuum didn't pull off the wood. Its about the only explaination. I don't think I'm overdriving the sub because I havn't had it very loud.

I think i need to pickup a 2 ohm resister tomorrow and fine tune the amp.. It's a hifonics amp and I can't find the gain anywhere on it..so it baffles me.

It's possible the Liquid Nails wasn't fully cured and its just pulling some of the fumes out of the joints and cooking them up, I waited over 24hr before installing the sub.

can't find the gain????? that. isn't good.

i was just about to comment on that one... OP, what are you doing??

OP, what are you doing??

:roflmao:

OP, what are you doing??

:roflmao:

You laugh, but have you seen the back of a Hifonics Brutus Amp?

There is no gain setting, there is only an input voltage, phase, subsonic filter and a low pass filter.

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/HifonicsBrutus2009AmplifierManual.pdf

check it out before you laugh and judge..

The back of my amp looks exactly the same as the 1610 or that series of amps.

Yes I know that the "level' says gain in some instances, but once matched with the HU output level it isn't loud at all

I'm currently not using the sub remote feature(aka knob)

there is no real gain feature, From what i have read, the external control knob is the real gain.

so take your roflmao someplace else?

Edited by ztkraptor

because you havnt had it very loud doesnt mean your not clipping the signal! Further more the fact that you cant find the gain leads me to believe you have no clue what the amp is set at, which in turn means the gain could very well be maxed out and with that being said it wont take much of the volume being turned up for it to clip the signal and result in heating your woofer up, lastly the fact that you said the dust cap was warm, means your sub is heating up for a reason.

because you havnt had it very loud doesnt mean your not clipping the signal! Further more the fact that you cant find the gain leads me to believe you have no clue what the amp is set at, which in turn means the gain could very well be maxed out and with that being said it wont take much of the volume being turned up for it to clip the signal and result in heating your woofer up, lastly the fact that you said the dust cap was warm, means your sub is heating up for a reason.

So, how do i clip a sub with a 1200 watt rms amp?

there is no distortion, and the sub isn't turned up high.

also, warm is a relative term when its 36 degrees outside.

page 4 of the manual shows a "level" adjustment labeled from 9.0v - 0.2v .... you are dumb but I won't judge you :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa:

hifonic_retard.jpg

Sir (ztkraptor)

Your gain is that knob called LEVEL (which ranges from 9v to 0.2v)

Your level (gain) knob has to match the voltage of your headunits RCA.

If you have an aftermarket headunit, you will most likely have to set that to 2v or 4v depending on your headunit (some aftermarket units feature 5v RCA like my Pioneer in my signature, and some 8v).

If you have a factory headunit, you will have to set your gain according to your Line output converter (LOC).

If you are using high level input (getting signal from speakers to your amp), then your gain will most likely have to be set low since you will most likely clip the signal pretty fast (this is the worse way to send signal to an amp)

If you smell something funny/weird, is your coil getting overheated If you smell something completely disgusting (like something getting burned badly), its you clipping the signal and about to kill your sub.

Funny smell, low volume signal a notch. Burning smell, turn down the volume and most likely the bass knob.

page 4 of the manual shows a "level" adjustment labeled from 9.0v - 0.2v .... you are dumb but I won't judge you :suicide-santa: :suicide-santa:

Jesus christ, as i stated if you could read, I said that hifonics said that the ACTUAL gain is from the external control knob. they stated that you want to match the output of the HU to the level control.

I'm dumb and you can't read?

Re-read the manual pls.. Or return your equipment... Or sell it to my neighbor, he's 5 ...

dude. my last amp was a hifonics brutus... i deserve to laugh

LOL

dude. my last amp was a hifonics brutus... i deserve to laugh

LOL

Am I missing something here?? Did I not read the line I highlighted correctly?

Sir (ztkraptor)

Your gain is that knob called LEVEL (which ranges from 9v to 0.2v)

Your level (gain) knob has to match the voltage of your headunits RCA.

If you have an aftermarket headunit, you will most likely have to set that to 2v or 4v depending on your headunit (some aftermarket units feature 5v RCA like my Pioneer in my signature, and some 8v).

If you have a factory headunit, you will have to set your gain according to your Line output converter (LOC).

If you are using high level input (getting signal from speakers to your amp), then your gain will most likely have to be set low since you will most likely clip the signal pretty fast (this is the worse way to send signal to an amp)

If you smell something funny/weird, is your coil getting overheated If you smell something completely disgusting (like something getting burned badly), its you clipping the signal and about to kill your sub.

Funny smell, low volume signal a notch. Burning smell, turn down the volume and most likely the bass knob.

Thanks,

the Level is set to that of the HU.

Sub is barely audible

I have no external control knob because external knobs destroy things

I can't understand how I am clipping a signal. It isn't making sense.

Re-read the manual pls.. Or return your equipment... Or sell it to my neighbor, he's 5 ...

You're a reall pucking prick kid

^ apparently the forum edits foul language

Edited by ztkraptor

Most likely because you believe the knob labeled "Boost" is your input gain... Check that out man.. I was trying to help and then you got angry for me stating the obvious

Edited by Shogen

You do realize that Input voltage IS Gain..right?