sundownz

Sundown X-12 Prototype

I thought I read somewhere that the ring made the impedance fall to low on the Z v2 so you discontinued use of the ring on the Z v2?

That was inductance ;)

I thought I read somewhere that the ring made the impedance fall to low on the Z v2 so you discontinued use of the ring on the Z v2?

The top ring is the one I took off -- they still and always have also had an internal shorting ring.

aww got ya!! I guess i got the two words mixed up in my head! but i did get the 'ance' part of the word part lol! I knew it had to do something with an ance lol!

We did our thermal cycle test on the X-12 with CCAW coil (final will have copper which we will also test) -- 1000 watts starting power for 5 minutes dropped to 900 across the duration so 10% compression... cranked up to ~1200-1250 and played for another 90 seconds before thermal failure.

Again, our 60 Hz thermal test is brutal and we have fried MANY other drivers in ~2 minutes at their rated power levels. It's a very difficult test. All of our subs must pass for at LEAST 5 minutes to get their rating and we usually crank them up past rated after the 5 minute cycle as well.

It's a long boring video and not quite a production model so I won't upload it -- when we do the copper production unit I will.

Gotta love the Sundown product torture testing!

Looking forward to the production version!

We did our thermal cycle test on the X-12 with CCAW coil (final will have copper which we will also test) -- 1000 watts starting power for 5 minutes dropped to 900 across the duration so 10% compression... cranked up to ~1200-1250 and played for another 90 seconds before thermal failure.

Again, our 60 Hz thermal test is brutal and we have fried MANY other drivers in ~2 minutes at their rated power levels. It's a very difficult test. All of our subs must pass for at LEAST 5 minutes to get their rating and we usually crank them up past rated after the 5 minute cycle as well.

It's a long boring video and not quite a production model so I won't upload it -- when we do the copper production unit I will.

And the X-12 prototype with copper coils arrived :

CIMG4815.JPG

CIMG4816.JPG

They spec out well... motor force is where I want it as are other specs. Some more details to go and we may run these and open pre-ordering.

wow those look nice what is the diameter on the motor?

I can't keep up with Sundown constantly working on product improvements and new releases!

Any updates? Will enclosure sizes be similar to the sa line? When will the preorder start?

D4 specs with a very short break-in period :

Re : 7.00 ohms

Fs : 34.61 Hz

Qes : 0.57

Qms : 4.45

Qts : 0.51

Le : 5.05 mH

Vas : 17.39 L

BL : 29.23 NA

Mms : 324 g

Cms : 65.1 uM/N

SPL : 82.7 dB 1w/1m

Xmax : 19.0mm one-way

Bl^2/Re : 122

With break-in the Fs and Qts will drop a bit as well.

Wow the efficiency looks horrible :(

Wow the efficiency looks horrible :(

Please read :

What your statement should read is... "Looks like it will have great bottom end in a small box"

I never said it wasn't going to be a great sub. Fs is much lower...

Essentially what I'm saying is stating the "efficiency is horrible" is not correct; as sensitivity does not = efficiency -- at least not on sub-bass material. Which is why I posted the linked thread originally :drink40:

If you climb to over 50-60 Hz then, sure, a sub with a higher "sensitivity" would gain in output -- but for what people want in a true car audio sub-woofer (small box / tremendous low-end) this type of parameter set works great. It's very similar to the SA line in parameters.

Thanks for explaining that.

Fs won't play that big a part in the sub bass game either

D4 specs with a very short break-in period :

Re : 7.00 ohms

Fs : 34.61 Hz

Qes : 0.57

Qms : 4.45

Qts : 0.51

Le : 5.05 mH

Vas : 17.39 L

BL : 29.23 NA

Mms : 324 g

Cms : 65.1 uM/N

SPL : 82.7 dB 1w/1m

Bl^2/Re : 122

With break-in the Fs and Qts will drop a bit as well.

D2 specs with a very short break-in period :

Re : 3.94 ohms

Fs : 34.62 Hz

Qes : 0.52

Qms : 4.34

Qts : 0.46

Le : 3.57 mH

Vas : 17.16 L

BL : 23.28 NA

Mms : 328.7 g

Cms : 64.27 uM/N

SPL : 83.11 dB 1w/1m

Bl^2/Re : 138

Fs won't play that big a part in the sub bass game either

Its amazing when people only look at two specs of a subwoofer and automatically assume one thing or another.

I like the 1w/1m though. No BS rating FTW.