ChocolopeMawnster

tips to make build sound that much better?

So come January ill have all the bits n pieces for my build. What are some things I could do build wise that would make it sound that much better? I read somewhere about firing the sub forward and sealing off the trunk. what is this and what are the advantages? just looking for some ideas of how to squeeze every bit I can from this build. thanks in advance.

to give you ideas on how to enhance something. We actually need info on what you're doing...

I've always gotten the best output when I mounted my subwoofers on my rear windshield IB style. :suicide-santa::P

But really you have to ask some specific questions.

Do you want tips on how to improve on sq or spl? Is this thread only about your sub stage or front stage as well?

What equipment are you using?

Ok so my front stage is already installed. I have a cadence powering a set of I'D ctxs and now I'm moving on to my substage. I'm putting in a 12" Fi BL in a 2.25ft^3 box with a sundown to power that. I'm looking to improve my sound any way I can. hope that helps. I'd be glad to answer any more questions if I didn't cover everything.

Need more info. What car is this for? what do you feel you are lacking, or could improve on?

ok its for a Mercedes e320 I've had the car for ten plus years n I'm just now doing a system in it. my mids and highs sound good I'm just lacking bass. I'm just wondering if there are any things that I could do to improve the performance of my subwoofers via my build.

ok its for a Mercedes e320 I've had the car for ten plus years n I'm just now doing a system in it. my mids and highs sound good I'm just lacking bass. I'm just wondering if there are any things that I could do to improve the performance of my subwoofers via my build.

Definetly. 90% install, 5% equipment and 5% beer.

So come January ill have all the bits n pieces for my build. What are some things I could do build wise that would make it sound that much better? I read somewhere about firing the sub forward and sealing off the trunk. what is this and what are the advantages? just looking for some ideas of how to squeeze every bit I can from this build. thanks in advance.

Well to anwser your question, sealing of the trunk has a few advantages SQ wise. First the soundwaves won't get colored from the reflections in the trunk, and you will have a truer reproduction of the original sound. Secocondly, you are blocking trunk noise from entering the cabin.

Now if by "squeeze every bit I can" means louder and not smoother and sweeter, then you maybe better firing into your trunk for the added DB boost you will gain from firing into a small area. When it comes to SPL its all about trial and error, each car will interact with the soundwaves differently.

Thanks for the link bro but it looks like I won't be doing one of those. I'm pretty sure a have a metal wall between my trunk and the back of the seats. Yours look really nice though. I wanted to do something special with this build to set it apart from the average build. Would it be possible to build the box put it in the trunk facing out and do some cool fiberglass work to Make the face of the box appear to be sealing off the rest of the trunk then maybe mount the amps onto that. On second thought what if I was to make an MDF plate that had a rectangular hole the dimensions of the face of the box and cut out to fit the contours of my trunk and build amp spots into that. These are just ideas to make it look nice. I don't know I just want people to get in and be like wow thats intense and then I want to be able to hop out and show them my trunk and not just show people a plain box with a sub in it you know. I seek to impress people with the look and sound of my system not to mention I'm bored and I need a good project. Any ideas anybodies been wanting to try but needs a guinea pig? I'll take any ideas as long as they are relatively easy to do. I don't have a workshop or anything so anything I do will be home made in the most literal of ways. I've never done fiberglass work on a car but I've glassed more surfboards than I can count so I think I can handle most glass jobs.

Cutting that metal plate will be just fine, depending on the car. Some cars build some structural integrity into that plate, you'll just have to study it very closely to see. Usually there's braces, or more than one layer of sheet metal in a crease to indicate some sort of structural purpose. If that's the case you'll have to keep those parts in place while you do the building. If not, then cut away! I'm with Jared on the trunk scene. I think they sound best when sealed to the cabin of the vehicle. Then a fiberglass beauty panel will look gorgeous. There used to be a build somewhere I went to all the time to show people where a guy built a hell of a box in a trunk and built some BEAUTIFUL beauty panels to seal it into the cabin, with the aero ports coming up where the rear speakers used to be, flushed into fiberglass, then a fiberglass beauty panel for his amps as well. Sub was a TC Sounds LMS Ultra, 15 or 18.... wish I could still remember where that build was at....

A picture of your rear seat and trunk will help ppl give you better suggestions and help us help you ALOT better. Don't forget to start a build log on here and ppl will give you feedback as you do the work as well.