Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

High Output Alternator Question

Where is the 220 amp rating coming from? What does the aternator run at idle? If its a reliable brand then i think it should do fine. Still would be a good idea to through an extra battery in the rear

Where is the 220 amp rating coming from? What does the aternator run at idle? If its a reliable brand then i think it should do fine. Still would be a good idea to through an extra battery in the rear

I was looking at this Alternator. It states 110Amps at idle and full output at 1200 RPM. I drive a 2008 Dodge Avenger and spoke with Mike at that website and he said that would fit my car without much fab work.

I figured I would check here first though to see what people thought of it.

It may be cheap but if you fo some searching people generally scorn down upon PowerBastards for cheap and unreliable products... And you will be fine with that much power on a 200 amp alt. Look at Excessive Amperage or DC Power or similar.

I was looking at this Alternator. It states 110Amps at idle and full output at 1200 RPM. I drive a 2008 Dodge Avenger and spoke with Mike at that website and he said that would fit my car without much fab work.

I figured I would check here first though to see what people thought of it.

Just forget about that alt from powerbastards. Honestly there should be a thread that says " Stay away from this company". Let alone just there customer service would steer me away from any of there products.

OP: You will actually end up spending more money in the long run because eventually you will have to swap that alt out for a more reliable one

Their customer support hasn't been bad so far. I contacted DC Power and Excessive Amperage and will wait to see what they say.

I run a saz1500d and a sax50.4 off a DC power 180hp amp, everything works great.

Stock battery + big 3 done

I run a saz1500d and a sax50.4 off a DC power 180hp amp, everything works great.

not to be rude... but you would not know the difference untill you start that topic of " my amp is blown"

1500@1ohm on factoy cell on a 220 peak alt = trouble IMO.

So glad you just said that bimmer... What car do you have that alternator in?? I almost talked myself into a 270XP but didn't really think I needed it.

not to be rude... but you would not know the difference untill you start that topic of " my amp is blown"

I've run my T10001.bd (birthsheet at 1400+ RMS @ 14.4V) on my stock cell and stock alt (125 amps) for ~2 years now and have had zero issues. I never drop below 13 volts and almost never see 13.5 volts.

how so? I have tested the voltage @ idle while playing and it only goes down to ~12v, haven't tested while driving, but I never get any dimming while driving..

Also my gain is @ around 1/3 max on the sub amp so maybe thats why?

Also my gain is @ around 1/3 max on the sub amp so maybe thats why?

imo thats most likely why.

what im saying guys....IT TAKES POWER TO MAKE POWER>

So glad you just said that bimmer... What car do you have that alternator in?? I almost talked myself into a 270XP but didn't really think I needed it.

2004 camry v6..

I will state that I def. don't have the gain as high as it could go (never tried to go above 1/3 way up). I would have to guess I am putting out around 800-1000 watts though

Regardless, my setup plays fine and I have listened extensively to it (10hr road trip at continuous full tilt, hours of playing at idle @ full tilt, etc..) and so far no issues...

Agreed, never wanna skimp on the electrical, infact I plan on upgrading my battery once i get my new system in. I hate voltage drop!

Agreed, never wanna skimp on the electrical, infact I plan on upgrading my battery once i get my new system in. I hate voltage drop!

+1 agreed!

Their customer support hasn't been bad so far. I contacted DC Power and Excessive Amperage and will wait to see what they say.

yeah there CS isnt bad when they are trying to move there products. But when customers try to ship there products back because they dont fit the right vehicle, thats when they try to add on more costs

yeah there CS isnt bad when they are trying to move there products. But when customers try to ship there products back because they dont fit the right vehicle, thats when they try to add on more costs

good point

Excessive Amperage quoted me $330 for a 200 amp alternator that would be made to fit my car. Is that a good price? Should I look elsewhere?

Excessive Amperage quoted me $330 for a 200 amp alternator that would be made to fit my car. Is that a good price? Should I look elsewhere?

I dont know if you said this earlier in your thread but what does the alt do at idle? When buying an HO alt, you want an alt that puts out a decent amount of power at low rpms.

That is a good price, even though i have never owned one of there products. Have you tried contacting DC power for a quote?

I dont know if you said this earlier in your thread but what does the alt do at idle? When buying an HO alt, you want an alt that puts out a decent amount of power at low rpms.

That is a good price, even though i have never owned one of there products. Have you tried contacting DC power for a quote?

Nathan from Excessive said at idling it would be 120+. I have contacted DC power and am waiting patiently for a return. The more I read into all these differant companies the more I see that most HO alternators might not last for the long run? I guess I don't really see the point in spending good money for something that quits working in a year or so. Stock alternators last years in most cases, so maybe it is just a design? Also noticed alot of the companies just modify existing alternators and "beef them up" to be HO alternators. Doesn't sound reliable to me, but then again this is a topic I do not know much about.

I also need an HO alt but really don't know much about them either. Everything I read about the company's is about how bad their costumer service is and there is also so many different ones and variables it makes my head spin.

I vouch 110% for DC power.

I have only seen 1 person have a problem with their service/products in the three years I have been on this and other forums.

(I have a dual alt kit from them and love it)

Edited by holley2346

:peepwall: how about looking into mechman alternator? :peepwall:

I haven't yet looked into mechman, but I will.

I have also noticed that alot of the HO alternators are "self exciting." It says you do not need to hook up any wires except the power out to the battery. How does this effect the ECU in a car? It just seems like you would need to hook the car computer up to the alternator. Maybe I am wrong? Just alot of concerns as this will be in my daily driving car and I don't need anything to crap out on me.

I haven't yet looked into mechman, but I will.

I have also noticed that alot of the HO alternators are "self exciting." It says you do not need to hook up any wires except the power out to the battery. How does this effect the ECU in a car? It just seems like you would need to hook the car computer up to the alternator. Maybe I am wrong? Just alot of concerns as this will be in my daily driving car and I don't need anything to crap out on me.

its called an alternator pigtail. If I were you I would just go ahead and call DC Power and tell them your price range and vehicle. That is by far the easiest way.

Think of it this way. Wouldnt you rather spend alittle more on a quality built alternator rather than cheap out and have to go through a couple alts before getting the product you want.

do the right thing. Call DC