Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

High Output Alternator Question

Excessive Amperage quoted me $330 for a 200 amp alternator that would be made to fit my car. Is that a good price? Should I look elsewhere?

I dont know if you said this earlier in your thread but what does the alt do at idle? When buying an HO alt, you want an alt that puts out a decent amount of power at low rpms.

That is a good price, even though i have never owned one of there products. Have you tried contacting DC power for a quote?

Nathan from Excessive said at idling it would be 120+. I have contacted DC power and am waiting patiently for a return. The more I read into all these differant companies the more I see that most HO alternators might not last for the long run? I guess I don't really see the point in spending good money for something that quits working in a year or so. Stock alternators last years in most cases, so maybe it is just a design? Also noticed alot of the companies just modify existing alternators and "beef them up" to be HO alternators. Doesn't sound reliable to me, but then again this is a topic I do not know much about.

Getting an alternator "rewound" is basically throwing money down the drain. Instead of actually making the alt more powerful, it makes it rather weaker where you could say we need the most power. At idle. So a stock alt. will produce more power at idle than a "beefed" up alt

I haven't yet looked into mechman, but I will.

I have also noticed that alot of the HO alternators are "self exciting." It says you do not need to hook up any wires except the power out to the battery. How does this effect the ECU in a car? It just seems like you would need to hook the car computer up to the alternator. Maybe I am wrong? Just alot of concerns as this will be in my daily driving car and I don't need anything to crap out on me.

its called an alternator pigtail. If I were you I would just go ahead and call DC Power and tell them your price range and vehicle. That is by far the easiest way.

Think of it this way. Wouldnt you rather spend alittle more on a quality built alternator rather than cheap out and have to go through a couple alts before getting the product you want.

do the right thing. Call DC

I will definiately wait for DC to respond before making any decision. I want the most reliable piece I can get, and it sounds like that choice would be DC power.

Thanks for all the help/information on this so far guys. I really do appreciate it.

:morepower1:

You want an HO alt just to run a 1500 watts amp ? That's a lot !

Your current alt must be really weak.

Have you tried to run your amp on your stock electrical ? Do the big3, get an AGM battery and a voltmeter. You will know if you need any HO alt or not.

But, it's your money.

If I could, I'd run an HO alt too, but not for 1500 watts. I'd shoot for +3000 watts !!!!!!!!!!

With or without my system on, I stay at 13.6 v whith engine on. I have stock alt and a stock battery, but 0 ga wire everywhere (power, groundssss,...)

Good luck